10 messages over 2 pages: 1
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 10
20 September 2013 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
juman wrote:
I'm old enough that I actually should know this as computers wasn't that
common when I
went to school. But I have realized that I don't anymore...

Does anyone only use books, audio, pen and paper to study anymore? If you do then what
do
you do? What kind of study schedule do you follow and what do you write down? I have a
vague memory of a thin book where each page where split in two to write and new words
and
translations in but that's about it.

So if I wanted to move away from the keyboard (AFK = Away From Keyboard) to study what
tips can you give me?

Talk more. Use your language with Human Beings.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 10
20 September 2013 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Aha, Teango is another canine spirit: I thought I recognised it, although it seems as
though that his inner sheepdog is much more highly trained than my inner moth-eaten
lurcher. His mention of touch-typing reminded me of a slightly shaming occasion for me
recently. I first started using computer keyboards of one sort or another in 1970, and
did so every working day for the next 40 years or so, not to mention home use once home
PCs came in. So I thought I was no slouch on the keyboard.

My shame came when my daughter pointed out to me the raised surfaces on certain keys
that proper touch-typists use to locate their fingers (it's "f" and "j" on the keyboard
I'm using at the moment...don't know how variable that is). *blush* - I had simply
never noticed them. I use my own "method" (or "methods") for locating my fingers, and I
suppose it works, but I'm not a proper touch typist, as touch typists would judge it
(there is an old Jewish joke that covers this sort of comparison, but I can't remember
it fully. If you know it, smile knowingly).

As for mobile devices, E-readers are too small, and tablets are probably too big (in
the sense of true portability), and don't even mention phones. So what I'd need in some
future world of high-tech would be a variable size-and-geometry tool, that could be
expanded at will to be the size of a newspaper, or ordinary book, could incorporate a
full keyboard, and yet shrink down to pocket size. And it would have some futuristic
power source, so charging would not be an issue.

In the meantime, real books and real people are the best thing, and we can only
approximate with our still-fairly-clumsy electronic substitutes.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version