tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 2
20 September 2013 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Coursera is an extensive, high-quality series of courses given free on the Internet from various universities and educational institutions around the world. The vast majority are in English but there is an increasing number of courses given in other languages. I have taken several Coursera courses before in English. There were large numbers of registered students from many countries, with many students whose native language is not English. To help, most Coursera courses provide very accurate sub-titles and transcripts of all of their videos, and some have the sub-titles and transcripts in several languages.

I just started a Coursera course about the Java programming language (which I already know), in French (one of my target languages). Because of my approximately B2 level in French, my familiarity with the subject, the available of high-quality sub-titles and transcripts, and the high quality of the video and audio, the French is very comprehensible and thus excellent for improving my listening and reading skills in French. The videos and everything else can be downloaded so you can review any material as much as you wish.

The Java in French course starts officially on 23 September and runs for seven weeks, so you can join now and probably for another couple of weeks or so. You are encouraged to submit homework for marks, but for most Coursera courses, you can follow the course without submitting homework. Here is the info on the Java in French course:
https://www.coursera.org/course/intro-java-fr

There are currently 446 Coursera courses listed, of which 40 are offered in languages other than English, specifically Chinese, French, German, Spanish, Arabic and Italian. You can browse through the upcoming course offerings here:
https://www.coursera.org/courses?orderby=upcoming

These courses offer an excellent opportunity for extensive, high-quality studying in a target language, and in subjects that many people will find to very interesting. What a great way to improve our target language(s).

10 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5624 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 2 of 2
23 September 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
I've signed up for the French C++ course :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version