Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5210 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 8
21 September 2013 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
To improve my reading speed, I am reading The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscard Wilde and almost finished it. And I love those witty and smart phrases of the author.

Does anyone also like this book? Hope we could share our feeling about his book.
1 person has voted this message useful

Heriotza
Groupie
Dominican Republic
Joined 4440 days ago

48 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 2 of 8
21 September 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
I love it. One of my favorite books. I have read it like twelve times. Reading Oscar Wilde is a pleasure.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 3 of 8
21 September 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Wilde was one of "our" wittiest authors. I put "our" in quotes, because he was Irish,
not
English, although he made his name in England.

You might enjoy seeing or hearing audio versions of some of his plays, e.g. "The
importance of being Ernest". There have been versions broadcast on the BBC from time
to
time, some of which may have made it to CD, or may be findable on the web.

EDIT: If you haven't already checked, you might find an audiobook version of that on
Librivox. If not, there may be some other Oscar Wilde stuff on there which you might
enjoy.

Edited by montmorency on 21 September 2013 at 8:28pm

chenshujian
Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5210 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 4 of 8
22 September 2013 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Wilde was one of "our" wittiest authors. I put "our" in quotes, because he was Irish,
not

You might enjoy seeing or hearing audio versions of some of his plays, e.g. "The
importance of being Ernest". There have been versions broadcast on the BBC from time
to

EDIT: If you haven't already checked, you might find an audiobook version of that on
Librivox. If not, there may be some other Oscar Wilde stuff on there which you might
enjoy.

Did Wilde write the book in standard British English or with a little Irish style?
Can I just imitate his many expressions in the book?

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 5 of 8
22 September 2013 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
chenshujian wrote:
montmorency wrote:
Wilde was one of "our" wittiest authors. I
put "our" in quotes, because he was Irish,
not

to

enjoy.

Did Wilde write the book in standard British English or with a little Irish style?
Can I just imitate his many expressions in the book?

Well, I think you can take it as the standard English of the time, stamped with his own
unique style. Whether you'd call that Irish or not, I'm not sure.

It might sound over-elaborate and exaggerated if you tried imitating it directly in
speech. You might get away with it a little more in writing, depending on the context.

I would not worry about it being "too Irish" though. I think it definitely counts as
"English literature".

This might be a minority view here, but personally, I think there is absolutely nothing
wrong in immersing yourself in the classics of English literature, so long as you enjoy
them. I think it will enrich your appreciation of English, probably contribute to your
vocabulary, and help you to understand that there are many ways to write and speak
English.

You night possibly also enjoy some of the Anthony Trollope novels, and from an earlier
period, I can recommend Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". Now I wouldn't recommend
imitating that, but just read it for enjoyment.

I'm probably not the best person to ask, but you should probably also balance your
reading with some 20th and 21st century authors.

I think you might enjoy for example E.M. Forster's "Room with a View", which was
written quite a long time ago, but I don't think should sound too old fashioned in
style (although it depicts a society very different from the modern one).

Or more overtly funny: Kingsley Amis "Lucky Jim" (and others).

Edited by montmorency on 22 September 2013 at 5:50pm

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4399 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 6 of 8
23 September 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
I love British/Iris classical literature, and Wilde is one of my favourite writers. I have also read The Picture of Dorian Grey several times, I just find Wilde's way with words absolutely fantastic. It is so elegant and it really opens your eyes to the beauty of the English language.

I agree with montmorency that there is nothing wrong with reading the classics. In addition to literature from Wilde's time I am also a fan of the Gothic novels, such as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Bram Stoker's Dracula. Great books written in a great language.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 8 of 8
23 September 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
oops! *blush*
The other common mistake is to refer to "The Portrait of...", which fortunately nobody
here has made so far, but now I've sewn the seed, perhaps someone will...oops again. :

I am not as wholly negative about Librivox as it Erenko, but it has to be said that the
quality is variable. Reading well isn't as easy as it sounds, and especially not
consistently over long periods.

EDIT: it can also depend on the actual book. I found various free versions of "Die
Verwandlung" (in English and German) online, and hated them. Then found a commercial
version - and hated that. I later realised that - for my personal taste - it's just a
horrible book, although I know a lot of people seem to think it is wonderful.

Edited by montmorency on 24 September 2013 at 5:31pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version