Diglot
Groupie
Joined 5423 days ago

51 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Irish, French

Message 1 of 5
21 September 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
So, a professor at my university has offered to give me weekly Polish lessons for free. Right now, we're working through the first chapter Oscar Swan's First Year Polish course. I find the course to be great, especially with a teacher to help, but I did have some questions.

1) Where can I find the audio for the course, it doesn't seem to be on the publisher's website like the text is.

2) What other courses can I supplement this course with?

3) What's the best way to learn to read Polish and pronounce it correctly? For this step I usually shadowed Assimil hardcore. There isn't an English or Spanish base of the Polish course, and my French is only intermediate. Maybe I could make heads or tails of it if I tried to translate the lessons from French into English.

4) Any advice for learning Polish in general?

Edited by Jadoo1989 on 21 September 2013 at 8:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4649 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 2 of 5
21 September 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
PM me, we'll find a solution :]

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5895 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 3 of 5
22 September 2013 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
A good place to start would be to read the Polish Profile found on this site.
It contains a lot of links to learning materials and learning stragegies.
We have a team (Team Żubr) for devotees of Polish language learning. Check out individual members' logs which illustrate the kinds of learning activities you could find useful.

I'm sorry I can't answer your query about Swan's audio material, perhaps someone else might know.

2 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5518 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 4 of 5
23 September 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Do you need to supplement your course? Maybe it will be enough or maybe your teacher will give you some materials. Assimil is good and use it if you can but I wouldn't try to use too many resources from the beginning.

If you need help with Assimil, I could translate some lessons for you into English. I will be away for a couple of days, but starting from Friday I could do it. :) Just PM me if you're interested. Maybe some other people will also join. I think I have a pdf of this course.

When it comes to pronunciation, it doesn't have to be shadowing. Simple "listen and repeat" will suffice. Assimil is be great for that. I'd concentrate on that.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 5
30 September 2013 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
As for the audio or video clips of Swan's online course for beginners, look in the folder "conversations" in this link. It doesn't seem complete since the files for the dialogues are only up to the 9th lesson but they're better than nothing.

The Polish Profile has some information about other courses or textbooks that could supplement what you'd be learning with Swan's course but what you choose is up to you. For getting pronunciation that's largely free of any distracting interference from your native language (a noticeable English accent in Polish really makes me cringe) all that I can think of is to listen and repeat or shadow dialogues. Pimsleur's courses for Polish could be useful but an expensive way to start coming to grips with pronunciation. As for advice, just keep plowing through the language and don't take it too hard if you feel unable to grasp some concept in the language. You're in it for the long-haul and unless you have some pressing need to attain a certain grasp of Polish for professional reasons in the short-term, thinking about the process as something that could last longer than a few months should lessen the chance of getting discouraged.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version