Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 22
22 September 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
but doesn't this customisation do more damage than good in some cases?

1. for the long absence, it does disrupt the learning the same way as just the cards piling up. The important thing about SRS is not how many cards are shown by the software, the important thing is to keep to the ideal intervals. Neither just leaving nor this customisation is a way to do it.

2.It might be a trouble to keep it even for usual learning. I have days when I do just the few new cards ready for me but there are some when I see 50-150 new ones and such a low limit could disrut the revie process for both those and the older ones.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 10 of 22
22 September 2013 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I've argued with Damien about this before. I don't like how anki handles it now. But to be perfectly honest, nobody has really figured
out the "best" way to deal with a break in using an SRS. By this I mean nobody has done experiments to show what works the best
after a break. Here are some methods and previous suggestions:

1) set a limit to the total number of cards due (anki 2)
2) postpone all the cards and spread them out over a user specified number of days (anki 1 postpone tool)
3) freeze the algorithm while allowing the date to change (my suggestion)
4) do cards in advance to prepare for the break (Damien's suggestion)
5) do all the accumulated cards when the break is over
6) delete the deck and create a new one (my suggestion for a long break)

Here is my opinion about each option
1) anki is based on an algorithm. This option totally messes it up
2) the increased work load is not appreciated
3) perfect for short breaks
4) the increased work load is not appreciated
5) the increased work load is not appreciated
6) the only sensible thing to do if the break is a month or more

Rantification - If I take a break, c'mon, it's a break. Don't tell me I have to "catch up" or "work extra hard to prepare". IMO, 2,4 & 5 are
idiotic options for people who have tons of extra time. I'd like to see a friendly solution. Anki is a frikken tool - stop trying to make it
into a task master.

To the OP - If you really are taking a complete break from anki for 6 weeks, delete your decks. Option 6. Anything else is just
masochism. The algorithm won't come anywhere near to being efficient or sensible after your break. If your precious decks mean so
much to you, then figure out a way to do anki during your break. Take your laptop, use anki online, etc. Otherwise, and I repeat,
delete your decks.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish

Message 11 of 22
22 September 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
To the OP - If you really are taking a complete break from anki for 6 weeks, delete your
decks. Option 6. Anything else is just
masochism. The algorithm won't come anywhere near to being efficient or sensible after your break. If your
precious decks mean so
much to you, then figure out a way to do anki during your break. Take your laptop, use anki online, etc.
Otherwise, and I repeat,
delete your decks.

Interesting. This actually might be worth considering - after all, my needs as a learner will change. Hopefully by
the end of my trip (nearly a year after starting to learn Spanish), I won't need the same words that I did as a
beginner. Hmmm...food for thought.

Doing the decks on the road isn't an option. I'll be walking the Camino de Santiago, carrying no more than 6 kg
on my back. So, nope...laptop won't make the cut.
2 persons have voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4480 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 12 of 22
22 September 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

To the OP - If you really are taking a complete break from anki for 6 weeks, delete your decks. Option 6. Anything else is just
masochism. The algorithm won't come anywhere near to being efficient or sensible after your break. If your precious decks mean so
much to you, then figure out a way to do anki during your break. Take your laptop, use anki online, etc. Otherwise, and I repeat,
delete your decks.

There are two possibilities - either you remember the card and then you probably don't need to see it again very soon (the next interval is based on the day you answered the card, not when it was due) or you don't remember it and its interval is reset to 1 day. Deleting your decks is IMO a bit extreme measure, at worst you may consider setting Anki to show new cards after reviews.

Stelle wrote:
Doing the decks on the road isn't an option. I'll be walking the Camino de Santiago, carrying no more than 6 kg
on my back. So, nope...laptop won't make the cut.

What about AnkiDroid or AnkiMobile?

Edited by LaughingChimp on 22 September 2013 at 3:49pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish

Message 13 of 22
22 September 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
LaughingChimp wrote:

Sadly, I have a stupid windows phone (grrrr) which doesn't work with ANY apps. Never again. I'll finish my contract
and get a new phone next summer. Can't wait!

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4252 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 14 of 22
22 September 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
IMO, 2,4 & 5 are idiotic options for people who have tons of extra time. I'd like to see a friendly solution.

The Anki deck stats show that except on 2 days where I spent 16 and 14 minutes, I have always spent less than 10 mn a day and very often less than 5 mn a day during my catching up period. Tons of extra times indeed...
2 persons have voted this message useful

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3910 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 15 of 22
23 September 2013 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
LaughingChimp wrote:

Sadly, I have a stupid windows phone (grrrr) which doesn't work with ANY apps. Never again.
I'll finish my contract
and get a new phone next summer. Can't wait!

Can't complain about my Windoze phone, a HTC HD2 (WM6.5). I run a number of dictionaries on
it, a Spanish verb conjugator, good old Super Memo, some months worth of mp3 and so forth and
there are no probs with malware whatsoever. Wouldn't trade it for any other phone.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 22
23 September 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
I think deleting the deck is a bit too extreme (even though thanks for the interesting post, leosmith).

I agree that when you are on a break, you are on a break and so what. Is it such a trouble to find the hundreds of cards due? I don't think so. You just need to stop listening to your inner perfectionist for a few days while you are dealing with all that. And unlike after deleting your decks, you get to relearn what you forgot while not being hold back on those you do, that is a nice thing despite this disruption in the SRS.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version