United Kingdom
Joined 4437 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 17 of 22
23 September 2013 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
IMO, 2,4 & 5 are idiotic options for people who have tons of extra time.

Would you be interested in paying for a postpone/freeze feature? This is a serious question, I'd gladly volunteer to write a plug-in adding this feature to Anki. (and I've already fixed bugs and written modifications to Anki).
1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5319 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 18 of 22
23 September 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
If you are talking about a ready-made/downloaded deck (ie, you are not inputting cards)
then if you set the maximum daily reviews to roughly whatever your previous typical daily
count was (perhaps plus 10%, to be on the safe side), then everything should come back
into balance after a month or two. Because no new cards are arising during the break,
there will be fewer "new reviews" during the post-break period, and only "backlog
reviews". If you blitz the backlog, then in the subsequent few weeks, you will have hardly
anything to do.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 23 September 2013 at 6:08pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 19 of 22
25 September 2013 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

1. for the long absence, it does disrupt the learning the same way as just the cards piling up. The important thing about SRS is not how many cards are shown by the software, the important thing is to keep to the ideal intervals. Neither just leaving nor this customisation is a way to do it.

One thing I hate about Anki and its documentation is this belief in "ideal intervals". They may exist, but no algorithm is capable of knowing what it is. But I remember reading statements in the docs saying to "be careful" with changing features because it would disrupt these ideal intervals. Be careful? Is it going to cause a ruptured spleen or something?

As someone suggested, with Anki 2 you only have to think about the next 100 cards due. It doesn't matter if you miss a day or a week, it will only give you 100. If you want more once you've finished that, choose the custom option and increase daily limit. But do your daily 100 (with the occasional extra 50 or 100) for a couple of weeks and you'll be caught up soon enough.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 20 of 22
25 September 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
leosmith wrote:
To the OP - If you really are taking a complete break
from anki for 6 weeks, delete your
decks. Option 6. Anything else is just
masochism. The algorithm won't come anywhere near to being efficient or sensible after
your break. If your
precious decks mean so
much to you, then figure out a way to do anki during your break. Take your laptop, use
anki online, etc.
Otherwise, and I repeat,
delete your decks.

Interesting. This actually might be worth considering - after all, my needs as a
learner will change. Hopefully by
the end of my trip (nearly a year after starting to learn Spanish), I won't need the
same words that I did as a
beginner. Hmmm...food for thought.

Doing the decks on the road isn't an option. I'll be walking the Camino de Santiago,
carrying no more than 6 kg
on my back. So, nope...laptop won't make the cut.

Do report back on this please! :-) My wife is thinking of doing this next Spring. And
(gulp) I may be forced to be the chaperone, if she can't twist our daughter's arm. :-)

(We, oops, she, is going the shorter route, the so called "Camino Ingles").

Buena Suerta, anyway. :-)

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 21 of 22
25 September 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
LaughingChimp wrote:

What about AnkiDroid or AnkiMobile?

Sadly, I have a stupid windows phone (grrrr) which doesn't work with ANY apps. Never
again. I'll finish my contract
and get a new phone next summer. Can't wait!

Er, word lists, or Gold Lists, don't require any contracts....

*ahem"

:-)))

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4041 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 22 of 22
26 September 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
I've thought about this problem for Readlang's SRS, and here's the solution I've settled on for now.

- Maintain a growing pool of words that you don't know, or are learning, the larger the better.

- The quantity of cards reviewed per day is completely up to you. You shouldn't be made to feel guilty for increasing or decreasing your daily schedule. Do as many sessions of 10, 20 or 30 cards at a time as you please.

- To generate the deck of cards for a session, pick the 10, 20 or 30 *most useful words* (using a word frequency list) from your entire pool of words, only excluding words that are scheduled for the future. Note that no distinction is made between words you've already started learning, and words newly added to the pool. The reason is that if you've added a very useful word to the pool recently, this is more worthwhile than an obscure word that you're only learning because it was one of the few words in your pool when you started.

- Picking the next scheduled date uses the SuperMemo 2 algorithm similar to Anki.

(I blogged about this here: Spaced Repetition, Version 2)

I'm not saying this method is perfect, but it is pretty simple and seems to work well. I'm not familiar enough with Anki to know if it can be easily adapted to work in this way, so sorry if this seems too theoretical.

Edited by SteveRidout on 26 September 2013 at 11:54am

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version