Triglot
United States
Joined 4563 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 1
22 September 2013 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
People have written about this before, but let me put in my two cents worth.

I recently got a new android phone, and I decided that it was dumb not to set it to "EspaƱol" as the system language. This led to some amusing results when I started to do some voice input to the phone. Sometimes the phone understood me with no problem; other times it was way off. Often the results were bad when I would try to put an English word into a Spanish sentence, you know just to spit it out and move on. The phone would pick the nearest Spanish equivalent, leading to some strange results. Even when I leave the English out, the phone still had problems with my Spanish. OK, some trouble is natural, even in your native language, but I decided to dictate a page to the phone, just to see if there was a pattern.

Despite my attempts to differentiate, the phone frequently heard my rr as a single r. I started fooling around with my phone trying to really "pop" my rr sound and see if I could get it recognized. After 15 minutes or so of experimenting, I can now say that the phone can always hear my "rr", and I really don't have any more problems with the software recognizing my Spanish than it does with my English when the phone is set to English. Whether I've changed anything that would make it easier for a Spanish speaker to understand me, I don't know...

Perhaps smartphones have reached the point where they can help with pronunciation.

My phone speaks Castillian Spanish, by the way, but seems to understand my accented seseo just fine.

:)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version