Groupie
United States
Joined 3986 days ago

64 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 1 of 12
23 September 2013 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
I used their Korean podcasts/audiobooks awhile ago and I always thought they were pretty
good. They have podcasts for tons of different languages but I never really hear people
talk about them all that much. I'll admit, their marketing tactics are pretty obnoxious
and I'm not convinced that the their paid subscriptions are really worth all that money,
but their audiobooks seem really reasonably priced to me. What do you guys think about
their sites??
1 person has voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4471 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 2 of 12
23 September 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
I used them to supplement my German learning and they were great. I thought their paid subscription was totally worth it! Outside of German, I don't really know much else.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 12
23 September 2013 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
I have tried their German (and just a bit of their French too, it could be one of the sources helping people through the intermediate hell) and I like quite everything about their products and would like to use them for Swedish as well. Even the price isn't bad at all. But! I hate their marketing. Such an email flood of annoying messages not that far from "if you don't subscibe, the sky will fall and oceans dry" considering it is still just a learning product, that is just disgusting.

So, I am torn between subscribing and using them (especially those for smaller languages could be well worth it) and just not supporting their stupid marketing strategy. I wish there was a way to divide those two but such a power is not in the customers' hands.

JiEunNinja
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3986 days ago

64 posts - 115 votes 

Message 5 of 12
24 September 2013 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Yep. Those are the ones. The audiobooks are basically the podcast lessons. They come with pretty
impressive transcripts. Japanese for instance has the transcript for each lessons' dialog in hiragana,
katakana, kanji, and English. Not to mention pretty thorough explanations of grammar and vocabulary.

I think subscribing to them through iTunes is best. That way you don't get spammed. But they seem to be a
pretty nice supplement to me. I plan to use them for Japanese.

JiEunNinja
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3986 days ago

64 posts - 115 votes 

Message 6 of 12
24 September 2013 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
But I do really appreciate how many languages they have. It's hard to find things for languages like
Indonesian and Turkish. Especially since I'm one of those people that are fascinated by languages that are as
different from English as possible. The more diversity, the better.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 7 of 12
24 September 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
JiEunNinja wrote:
I never really hear people talk about them all that much.

A lot of people on HTLAL use them. One member of HTLAL is (or was?) a part of the Germanpod team. But I suppose the conversations drop down the lists until someone asks another question about it.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 12
25 September 2013 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
JiEunNinja wrote:
The audiobooks are basically the podcast lessons. They come with
pretty
impressive transcripts. Japanese for instance has the transcript for each lessons'
dialog in hiragana,
katakana, kanji, and English. Not to mention pretty thorough explanations of grammar
and vocabulary.

I got (my company to pay for) a 1 year premium subscription and I'd certainly recommend
JPOD101. The lessons provide a wealth of grammar and audio. Since you get, as you say,
a transcript for each lesson, they're ideal for shadowing.

I didn't realise that they were available in some sort of audio book format: I just got
each lesson as a set of PDFs and some MP3s. If you have the right subscription then the
MP3s usually have the transcript encoded in them so some players can display this.

JiEunNinja wrote:
I think subscribing to them through iTunes is best. That way you
don't get spammed. But they seem to be a
pretty nice supplement to me. I plan to use them for Japanese.

I used the itunes feed to pull down the entire Japanese content in one go (over several
days): it was about 30GB. I think I counted over 900 lessons in the beginner and
intermediate series. There are some Advanced podcasts too, but by then I guess you'll
be using native materials. The Newbie stuff will only be of use for the first few
months I guess: after that it'll be tedious to listen too.

I think that Japanese is where they started and it has the most content. I've heard
from other people that German, French and Italian have reasonable amounts too. You need
to sign up for a free account for each site individually to check out how much is
available (you can usually see that a lesson exists even if you cannot access any of
it).

Even if you sign up through iTunes you need an email account: if the marketing spam
bothers you (I still get two marketing emails a week) then blacklist them or use a
filter.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version