Triglot
Canada
Joined 4241 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 17 of 17
24 January 2014 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Looks like most people who posted here are from Canada. People who worked for the Canadian government,
especially at the federal level they've been trying to get their employees to be fully bilingual (English & French)
across the country. A big waste of money and limited success. Getting people to language classes is 1 thing but
sending people away on exchange would allow for more exposure to a target language.

A lot of people including myself went through elementary school as well as high school learning French. However,
after Grade 9 (or Form 3 as some prefer to call it) we're allowed to drop French as an elective and choose another
language such as Latin, German, Italian, etc. depending on the region of the country. Education at a public school
is subsidized by the government through our taxes. Unless you are in an immersion program, most of us would
leave the classroom unable to even perform basic tasks such as asking for directions. We all went through several
years of subject-verb conjugation like Je vais, tu vas, il/elle va, etc.

Looking at the teaching methods of Luca Lampariello, Moses McCormick, etc. the only way to improve a language
is to spend time on your own outside the classroom.

Right now I'm going through the Victor Learn French video series. I'll be lucky to pick up even 20% of what is said
in the movie: "La Cage aux Folles". One day I would like to tell people: "Je parle français" as confident as I would
say that I speak Chinese (我说普通话).

Edited by shk00design on 24 January 2014 at 6:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version