peeda
Latvia
Joined 4752 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: German*

Message 1 of 8
24 September 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Hello everybody!

I have used Anki for a while to repeat French vocab. It is a useful tool but I still can't get used to the fact that it provides little overview. Words seem to be isolated from one another. To counterbalance this, I like to use Mindmaps as the tree structure is more visual. But then again, mind maps do not really allow for efficient repetition

I am looking for a programm that allows vocab to be put in in a mind map structure and uses srs for repetition.

Is there such a programm or plugin for Anki?

Regards
Peter

1 person has voted this message useful

Kami_77
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3893 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 8
24 September 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
You can download a mind map software like FreeMind and input the images into anki.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 3 of 8
24 September 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
I don't use automated SRS myself, but if I did, and I were concerned about only
learning words in isolation, then I might be tempted to input sentences and phrases
into my SRS system.

I already do this to some extent, but with manual approaches like word-lists and Gold
Lists.

It won't give you the overview that mindmaps might do, but it depends on what exactly
you are trying to get out of your mindmaps in the first place.

While perhaps we shouldn't get too hung up on concepts like "right-brain" and "left-
brain" (since it appears that's probably a too-simplified way of looking at the brain),
my instinct would tell me that SRS and mindmaps are working in quite different ways,

Mind maps clearly have a high visual component, although I suspect that the way they
work is more than just visual. SRS can be partly visual (using the interesting
suggestion of Kami_77, for example, or simply images that illustrate the words), or
just literal (where some people will remember "pictures" of the letters, but they might
equally say the word and remember the aural memory), or (I believe) audio.

I must admit, personally, I do not associate mindmaps with frequent repetition, but
with slow considered reflection. But perhaps they can be used in many ways.
By the way, I think we've had threads before about using sentences with SRS systems,
which you may try to search for, but you probably need to talk to SRS experts about
that.

Edited by montmorency on 24 September 2013 at 5:27pm

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 4 of 8
24 September 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
peeda wrote:
Words seem to be isolated from one another. To counterbalance this, I like to use Mindmaps as the tree structure is more visual.

I agree that single words in Anki, etc. seem to be isolated. That is why I only use sentences or short expressions in Anki. Ideally, you could also use groups of sentences that illustrate all of the main variation of uses of specific words. That is, of course, time consuming, but probably well worth the effort, especially for more abstract words and expressions.

I use FreeMind for mind maps for organizing language learning sentences on various topics. But I have not found any real utility of putting single words into mind maps. It looks interesting and seems like it should be useful. But I have yet to find that is does anything useful for me.

Edited by tommus on 24 September 2013 at 6:34pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4928 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 8
24 September 2013 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
peeda wrote:
... To counterbalance this, I like to use Mindmaps as the tree structure
is more visual.

This won't put things into a mindmap sort of structure, but you CAN have your cards more
organized by using tags. Have you considered using them? I use them extensively and can
create relationships between individual cards with them.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 8
24 September 2013 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
peeda wrote:
I have used Anki for a while to repeat French vocab. It is a useful tool but I still can't get used to the fact that it provides little overview. Words seem to be isolated from one another. To counterbalance this, I like to use Mindmaps as the tree structure is more visual. But then again, mind maps do not really allow for efficient repetition

Hello Peter. There is a simpler way to stop the isolation: use the words you learn. Read, watch, listen, write, speak. There is nothing wrong with learning words in isolation, but you need to make use of those words. Think of every time you come across a learnt word in a real context as creating a new tree branch in your mind.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5680 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 7 of 8
24 September 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
The free software Xmind2Anki may be useful for you. By the way, the text is in French, which makes it even more interesting for a French learner :-))
3 persons have voted this message useful

peeda
Latvia
Joined 4752 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: German*

Message 8 of 8
26 September 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 

Hello again!

Thanks a lot for your input and advice! :)

I already live in a French-speaking country, so I come across a lot of basic words every day but I am totally missing out on certain groups (like kitchen utensils or car stuff).

I have been using Tags, but it did not feel really intuitive too me. It is good
for organizing though.

Every time I learn a word like tree, for example, I think of a tree, then I think of branches, leaves, what kind of trees there are etc. and I seem to learn the words as a package.

Xmind2Anki is the kind of tool I was looking for. It allows for both, visual learning and SRS. Very cool! :-)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version