Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Clugston challenges polyglots to debate

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you like to see a debate between these polyglots?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
33 [26.83%]
90 [73.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

132 messages over 17 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 16 17 Next >>
I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3965 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 89 of 132
02 October 2013 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Classes are great, so are books, CDs and the Internet, but there is nothing like working with a trained
professional if you want to make real progress.

I know we have discussed this before, but I'll just make a quick point here. A personal tutor can be very helpful and effective for honing in your speaking skills, quickly correcting recurring mistakes and developing fluency, but in my opinion this does not constitute making "real progress". The bulk of the work involved in learning a language - grammar study, internalizing the syntax, the accumulation of a vast store of vocabulary and means of expression, is done far more efficiently through self-study methods, particularly those involving extensive and progressive readings in the target language itself.

Sole or primary reliance on a tutor achieves very modest results by comparison as the exposure to the language itself is much more limited both in terms of quantity, complexity and diversity of settings, subject matter and registers. Tutors, if engaged and accomplished, can in my opinion be a terrific aid for perfecting particular aspects of language production, but not so much for actually "learning" it.

I don't agree with this at all. I think the vast majority of internalising the grammar and vocabulary comes from actually using it in meaningful conversation and making mistakes. That's why you have so many students who've studied grammar for years and when you see their writing, it's littered with basic grammatical errors, often times things that you literally learn in the first day of English class (not to mention their speaking). It's like learning to play an instrument that you can only play when you have two people. You can study the notes as much as possible, but unless you have practice playing them, you're not going to make a massive amount of progress. Obviously I'm not suggesting you can't learn some useful things on your own, but I do think sessions with a qualified tutor offers more than you suggest in terms of actually learning the language.

What you described seems to be a conversation partner, rather than a tutor. A good tutor should be using conversation to respond to your needs for language. He should react to you struggling to express yourself on a particular issue and tell you some ways that native speakers would make the same point, then give you more practice in that. In that respect, it's far more immediate than waiting for a similar context to appear in a book you're reading. He should also have designed a syllabus that gives you practice in a variety of contexts. One of the big advantages of a private tutor in this respect is that you can actually go to the locations in question and practice using a real context.

And of course a tutor doesn't replace the work you do at home. And there are certainly ways to waste a tutor. But if money was no object, then a qualified, private tutor would definitely be top of my list of language learning tools.

Edited by I'm With Stupid on 02 October 2013 at 6:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4875 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 

Message 90 of 132
03 October 2013 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
I had never heard of Clugston before reading this thread. I found it very difficult to watch his videos. Sometimes I agree with Benny, Steve, Moses, etc., and sometimes I don't. Fine. But at least they present their opinions as opinions, as what has worked for them. I'm glad most people in the language learning community can agree to disagree and get on politely and civilly. Something I've always liked about this forum is that people sincerely try to help each other. I like that we can have different opinions and experiences regarding language learning, but still get on. As someone once told me, 'We may not always see eye to eye, but we can still walk shoulder to shoulder.' As we pool our knowledge, our differences are an asset.

As for Clugston himself, I'm worried. His erratic spelling, his militaristic dressing-up, his persecution and Messiah complexes (him against the language-learning world as he tries to save the 'purity' of linguistics), and his delusions of grandeur and supremacy, all exhibited in his videos and comments, all suggest that man doesn't need to be debated, he needs to be diagnosed. Seriously. I hope he has family around him to help.

As I said, I have always found the community to be generally happy and helpful. It's a pity there are such negative people out there. It's not that he isn't entitled to his own opinions -- he is, as we all are -- it's that he doesn't criticise and share for the sake of helping, instead he does it to bully and browbeat and intimidate. He doesn't want to contribute to the debate, he wants to control it. There is no place for that. His videos left me with a nasty aftertaste, and after today, I don't intend to watch any more of his videos. Why would I, when instead I can watch Steve, Richard, Luca, Benny, Moses...... ?

Edited by pfn123 on 03 October 2013 at 8:56am

15 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6997 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 91 of 132
03 October 2013 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
pfn123 wrote:
I had never heard of Clugston before reading this thread. I found it very difficult to watch his videos

His videos left me with a nasty aftertaste, and after today, I don't intend to watch any more of his videos. Why would I, when instead I can watch Steve, Richard, Luca, Benny, Moses...... ?

And of course FluentCzech has some of the most pleasant language learning videos.
7 persons have voted this message useful

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4875 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 

Message 92 of 132
03 October 2013 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
pfn123 wrote:
His videos left me with a nasty aftertaste, and after today, I don't intend to watch any more of his videos. Why would I, when instead I can watch Steve, Richard, Luca, Benny, Moses...... ?

And of course FluentCzech has some of the most pleasant language learning videos.

Agreed! And Khatz, and ... Well there are many good bloggers, vloggers, and polyglot pundits ;) Too many to list. That was why my little list was followed by dot dot dot ... I'm glad there are so many people sharing their experiences and suggestions. We're all the better off because of them. And I agree, Anthony Lauder is definitely up there :D
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6997 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 93 of 132
03 October 2013 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
pfn123 wrote:
Anthony Lauder is definitely up there :D

But he only claims to be a PolyNot.

Edited by luke on 03 October 2013 at 6:58am

2 persons have voted this message useful

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4875 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 

Message 94 of 132
03 October 2013 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
pfn123 wrote:

Yep, I agree. I wasn't referring to the number of languages he knows. I meant he's 'up there' as one of the most informative (and one of the most entertaining) language learners sharing their experiences and advice online.

Edited by pfn123 on 03 October 2013 at 7:18am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6997 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 95 of 132
03 October 2013 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
pfn123 wrote:
luke wrote:
pfn123 wrote:

Yep, I agree. I wasn't referring to the number of languages he knows. I meant he's 'up there' as one of the most informative (and one of the most entertaining) language learners sharing their experiences and advice online.

Of course. He has a great sense of humor and is extremely humble as well.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5222 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 96 of 132
03 October 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
I think that the debate about this individual whose name I shall no longer pronounce has pretty much run its course.
There seems to be a consensus that this scary person belongs to some lunatic fringe and contributes nothing to the
language learning community. I have decided to simply boycott this person's videos and encourage others to do
likewise.

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 132 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version