Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Clugston challenges polyglots to debate

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you like to see a debate between these polyglots?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
33 [26.83%]
90 [73.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

132 messages over 17 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17
Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 129 of 132
10 November 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
Considering that language learning is a small community, why would Clugston go out of his way to alienate himself?

I saw somewhere on Reddit that he now offers his super secret German volume method for sale via Paypal. So I guess all the hubbub was just to make his name known and generate interest for his book.

(After all, he lists marketing and ad writing as interests on his LinkedIn page.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4911 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 130 of 132
10 November 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
Considering that language learning is a small community, why would
Clugston go out of his way to alienate himself? It would the same as going to a chess
group, then smugly saying that everyone there is a moron. Even if it were the case,
you just don't do it.

He's repeatedly said that he doesn't consider it a community, so I doubt he's concerned
with being a part of it. Fair enough. He's just one more voice you can choose to either
listen to or ignore, whether inside or outside the community.

As to the original premise of the thread, I doubt a "debate" would serve any purpose at
all. Nothing new would be said by any of the participants.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5821 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 131 of 132
10 November 2013 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:

Could it have something to do with his combat sports? It seems that this area is his expertise, and maybe it is common to be more confrontational in that area. It would be very bad manners to walk into a boxing club with a show off attitude(posting language videos of speaking foreign languages for harmless fun). Showing respect and humility is typically expected in the ring...

You guys do realize that hobbies/lifestyles that involve getting punched in the face sort of makes you different from others, right?

Respect and humility is expected across all martial arts, not just the ring. I agree that it makes you different but you can't afford to be arrogant and aggressive in combat sports. Everyone I've come across with that attitude normally come out the loser when they encounter someone not intimidated by them and get ostrasized by all the other martial arts groups.

Going back to Clugston I don't bother with people with his attitude in martial arts they are not worth wasting time on.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6319 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 132 of 132
10 November 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
I've never been to a traditional thai martial arts club, but the ones centered on
grappling and striking, at least where I live, are operated by people who are
professional, yet aggressive in cutting out charlatans and the like. You simply can't
fake it when sparring. Now as for foreign language proficiency....

I still disagree with Clugston's approach on youtube, as attacking people for their
hobbies(It could be all that they have in life) is generally an asshole thing to do. If
someone wants to lift their finger 1000 reps daily, I won't say a peep. You do what you
gotta do to stay sane.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 132 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version