Triglot
Finland
Joined 4039 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 32
06 October 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
I think I read somewhere that Steve Pinker is monolingual and try as I might I have to take anything a monolingual writes about language with a spoonful of salt.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4094 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 18 of 32
06 October 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Steven Pinker is a follower of Noam Chomsky, and as such the ideas in the book are
controversial, and written for polemical purposes. It is written to prove his perspective right, and
disprove other perspectives. For this reason, I don't think it would make a good starting place for a
beginner to linguistics, because you would end up thinking one camp has all the answers.

I think that although there are controversies between the two "camps" that you are exaggerating how
inconclusive the ideas in this book are. I will now try to paint a picture of the situation for people
who aren't initiated, although please correct me, Jeffers, if you disagree with the picture (I presume
you are from one of the "other camps"?).

Ok, so there are these two camps. They're roughly like this. One is the groups called "innatist" are
the older group and they argue strongly for a binary-branching model of atomistic "nodes" as the most
accurate scientific model for what actually happens in the mind of a language user (an exclusively
human attribute). The majority of syntacticians are of this opinion.

This binary model is said to explain phenomenon such as the recursive nature of language and the
ability to embed clauses. It is taken to be a model of nature in the same way that the models of the
atom or of seven-dimensional-space-time are models of nature. The "noise" in atmosphere - e.g. ellision
in the case of language - merely distorts the "true" underlying form.

The other camp are a younger, looser coallition, all dedicated to going beyond the reductive (the
strict meaning of the word) approach of the innatists. They are called by names like "connectionist"
and "constructivists." Their major weapon has been the discovery, in psychology, of cognitive
statistical processing (key phrase - "statistical learning") - a phenomenon which allows patterns to be
recognised in data even without paying attention to them - a sort of "background processing". It is
essentially argued that "grammar" is nothing but the combinations of words which are said more and are
repeatedly re-confirmed.

With poetic license, this is something like what this camp perceives language to be "like." This is the
Lorenz Attractor, which is infinitely complicated and completely unpredictable, yet holds a definite
"shape" that can be defined, albiet with a certain fuzziness of boundary. There is no "underlying"
form: just an ermergent shape.

So both groups are saying that their work is more scientific. Roughly speaking, the innatists claim
that the connectionists are less scientific because they have no theory, and the other camp claim that
the old Chomskian models are all theory without much support for the entities they propose to exist.
For example, in current models of Syntax there are entities such as the "C-command" which assigns
attributes from one word to another. The rationale for the existence of such entities is murky even to
students of Syntax. But they are necessary to explain phenomenon of word order. The
connectionists/constructivists side-step the whole problem by just calling all streams of sounds
patterns which are either evidenced or not evidenced. There are no grammar rules internal to the brain
in this view.

I hope you're still with me... well anyway, as I see it, the "controversy" is here not a matter which
puts the contents of The Language Instinct into jeopardy. What is in this book is the story of how a
completely different camp - Behaviorism - was put into its grave by the Chomsky-led Cognitive
Revolution. Now, nobody supports behaviorist theories on language today. The notions which Chomsky
introduced are absolutely unavoidable. The connectionists and constructivists are almost entirely
reacting against a conception of language which has had influence for a couple of generations. If
you want to learn about modern Linguistics you will necessarily have to learn about this
behaviourist/generative grammar split (generative grammar is another word for the theories of the
innatists I talked about) and Pinker's book is simply the best one out there as an introduction
Jeffer's post is very fair-minded, but perhaps it gives too much value to the younger movement in
linguistics. They have been around for less time. As unfair as it is, perhaps it's an expedient to get
a grounding in the authodox viewpoint before launching into heated, ongoing debates. You might find out
tthat everything you read in The Language Instinct needs to be chucked out, but it does represent the
mainstream of thinking in the subject for the longest time in living memory. Pinker is critical of the
more speculative aspects of Chomsky's own writings, e.g. with regard to the redundant processing of
"irregular verbs" into an unpronounced regular form before finally to its its irregular form (I hope
I'm remembering that right).

Finally, it should be said that Chomsky's name is dirt to a lot of language enthusiasts simply because
the science he initiated is viewed as "unweaving the rainbow"; ruining the romance of language. Also
many philosophers hate him because "oridnary language philosophy" and "speech act theory" has only
slight relevance, or no place at all in the work that has followed his insights. But if you come across
any viewpoint which seeks to completely diminish Chomsky's influence or paint him as the leader of a
small but devoted, "cultish", academic enclave, that viewpoint is probably voiced far outside of the
mainstream, since the opponents of innatist theories are knowingly the "vanguard" of linguistic theory.

Henkkles wrote:
I think I read somewhere that Steve Pinker is monolingual and try as I might I have to
take anything a monolingual writes about language with a spoonful of salt.

That would be foolish. Steven Pinker is a superb writer and serious thinker. Also, reading a book of
his would explain why his object of study isn't language as it's spoken.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4039 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 32
06 October 2013 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:

Henkkles wrote:
I think I read somewhere that Steve Pinker is monolingual and try as I might I have to
take anything a monolingual writes about language with a spoonful of salt.

That would be foolish. Steven Pinker is a superb writer and serious thinker. Also, reading a book of
his would explain why his object of study isn't language as it's spoken.

I know you probably didn't mean to, but you essentially said that skepticism is foolish. Taking something with a grain/spoonful of salt is not disregarding it. I have thought of reading his book and I probably will now that I'm reminded of it, I just don't believe _everything_ first hand.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5351 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 20 of 32
06 October 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Here is a goody - John Searle's balanced assessment of Chomsky:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1972/jun/29/a-speci al-supplement-chomskys-
revolution-in-lingui/?pagination=false

Retinend
Triglot
Joined 4094 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 

Message 21 of 32
07 October 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
I know you probably didn't mean to, but you essentially said that skepticism is foolish. Taking something with a grain/spoonful of salt is not disregarding it. I have thought of reading his book and I probably will now that I'm reminded of it, I just don't believe _everything_ first hand.

Well okay but what I was calling "foolish" was the reason, not the skepticism.

You also said "spoon"full of salt, which implies that you won't take ANYTHING he says seriously. "Pinch" of salt would imply that you are only being skeptical.
1 person has voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
Joined 4094 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 

Message 22 of 32
07 October 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
Here is a goody - John Searle's balanced assessment of Chomsky:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1972/jun/29/a-speci al-supplement-chomskys-
revolution-in-lingui/?pagination=false

I can't follow this link, anyone else?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5351 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 23 of 32
07 October 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Strangely the link is DOA

Still it is an old and famous article, so the Web has it elsewhere:

http://www.chomsky.info/onchomsky/19720629.htm

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5131 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 24 of 32
07 October 2013 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
Strangely the link is DOA

Still it is an old and famous article, so the Web has it elsewhere:

http://www.chomsky.info/onchomsky/19720629.htm

This is exceedingly interesting on its own right but you can see how it touches only tangentially on the actual practice of learning foreign languages. Beyond the material covered in a standard introductory linguistics textbook, if learning documented foreign languages is the object, a proper study of linguistics can be only of very marginal relevance.

The article itself is a fabulous read and the subject matter fascinating, however reading such a long text off an electronic screen is torture and I wasn't able to get far. What is the best treatment of the subject in proper printed book form? I've read The Language Instinct and while worthwhile, it is certainly not it.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version