Joined 4369 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 9 of 17
27 September 2013 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
sans-serif wrote:
You're absolutely right: most words ending in -er, whether verbs, nouns or adjectives, have an acute accent. This includes, in particular, all plural forms and present tense forms ending in -er.

What about, say, saker? bilder? These and other monosyllables that pluralize in -er usually sound grave to me.

Same story there: both have an acute accent on the first syllable and the intonation drops back to neutral on the following unaccented syllable, which is probably what you're picking up on. Assuming your audio is standard Swedish, that is.

Most dialects agree on the placement and the of type of the accents (rising/falling), but the exact intonation patterns can vary considerably. In any case, you will likely find that a monosyllabic word with an acute accent sounds quite different from a disyllabic word with an acute accent on the first syllable.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5409 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 10 of 17
27 September 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
What about, say, saker? bilder? These and other monosyllables that pluralize in -er usually sound grave to me.

Nouns whose first syllable is unstressed and which form their plural in "er" have the acute accent: restaurang - restauranger.
Nouns whose first syllable is stressed and which form their plural in "er" have the grave accent: katt - katter.
Exceptions: Word with umlaut (as discussed).
Therefore saker and bilder shoud have a grave accent, because the first syllable is stressed.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5038 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 11 of 17
27 September 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
sans-serif wrote:
Same story there: both have an acute accent on the first syllable and the intonation drops back to neutral on the following unaccented syllable, which is probably what you're picking up on. Assuming your audio is standard Swedish, that is.

Most dialects agree on the placement and the of type of the accents (rising/falling), but the exact intonation patterns can vary considerably. In any case, you will likely find that a monosyllabic word with an acute accent sounds quite different from a disyllabic word with an acute accent on the first syllable.

Respectfully, I'm going to have to disagree. Bilder, saker, dikter, all have grave accents if you listen in Forvo. In fact, this paper backs it up: Click here. See page 71. Monosyllables becoming disyllables in the plural (without ablauting) seem to always gain a grave accent.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 17
27 September 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
In my accent: saker is acute and bilder is grave. I have heard people (from Skåne in particular) say 'saker' with a grave accent.

This regards words in isolation. Compounds work differently.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5038 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 13 of 17
27 September 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Nouns whose first syllable is unstressed and which form their plural in "er" have the acute accent: restaurang - restauranger.
Nouns whose first syllable is stressed and which form their plural in "er" have the grave accent: katt - katter.

Therefore saker and bilder shoud have a grave accent, because the first syllable is stressed.

I'm not sure about that. Regel has a stressed first syllable and forms its plural with er, yet it takes an acute.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5038 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 14 of 17
27 September 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
In my accent: saker is acute and bilder is grave. I have heard people (from Skåne in particular) say 'saker' with a grave accent.

This regards words in isolation. Compounds work differently.

Interesting. Are you from Central Sweden?

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4369 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 15 of 17
27 September 2013 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Respectfully, I'm going to have to disagree. Bilder, saker, dikter, all have grave accents if you listen in Forvo. In fact, this paper backs it up: Click here. See page 71. Monosyllables becoming disyllables in the plural (without ablauting) seem to always gain a grave accent.

Looks like I have some studying to do, then. :-)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 17
28 September 2013 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Interesting. Are you from Central Sweden?

No, Gotland. To my ears, "saker" with a grave accent is extremely uncommon (and it's not that people in my area all speak the same way not at all).

By the way, the multi-syllable examples from p 71, generator and professor can have either pitch. I know people (from my area) who use acute for both, some use grave for both, and then we have grave generator and acute professor (the most common, to my ears). I'd bet a virtual dollar that most with a Northern Swedish accent say both with an acute pitch.

This means that there are words which in certain regional accents take the other pitch. Even names aren't pronunced with the same pitch accent everywhere (and again, people in my dialect area say some names totally opposite to what I do).

Confusing?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version