Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4813 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 1 of 4
30 September 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
As some of you may have noticed in my log or some of my posts, I love computer games, especially rpgs (but adventures are awesome as well. ANd the old games from those golden ages when the story and gameplay were much more important than graphics). And more than a year ago, I accidentally found this jewel blog.

http://japaneselevelup.com/what-level-are-you/

It looks like there is higher % of gamers among Japanese learners than among learners of many other languages as I found the idea a few more times. And I loved it. But it was still far from usable to me.

But I was obviously not the only one who liked the idea of turning routine tasks into rpg points and levels. (Yes, you have probably noticed as well I am a lazy procrastinator and I tried quite everything. To do lists, pomodoro, prizes and threats etc. Of course this idea caught my attention :-D)

First real attempt at making something like this was the Epic Win app to my knowledge. It is paid, and for iphones only (so it is small in ipads. no idea about androids). But the screenshots were too ugly to pay for it in my opinion. But it was already something.

There is another one, named like LifeRPG or something like that but it didn't find it much interesting from the little I read about it.

But there is a third and probably newest one. www.habitrpg.com is home to a kickstarter founded project. It is for free but there are, of course, ways to further support the project.

What do I love about it:
-making my own, rpg like char and therefore appealing to my brain's addiction centers :-)
-three cathegories of tasks you get exp and gold for (or lose hps for not not completing them or doing the opposite): habits (check anytime you do the thing, such as fifteen minutes of active Swedish learning), dailies (such as 45 minutes of reading or whatever you want to do daily) and todoes (tasks to be completed once, such as 4th Unit of Pimsleur)
-it is useful for all the routine tasks of any kind that I have trouble completing (yes, I enjoy for example the Pimsleur or Anki when I am doing it. But it is sometimes difficult to kick myself to starting). Be it language related, or a sport activity (example: +take stairs -take the elevator, go to the gym, etc.) or anything else (getting up on time, going to sleep before 1am, reviewing biochemistry daily etc.)
-a lot of thought was put into the social aspect. Sure, you can do the usual exhibition of your progress on facebook, twitter or whatever else. But you can as well form a group with up to three friends of yours and not only compete against each other but as well work on group quests!
-the thing is still developping and new things are being added.
-the game counts with the players' need to get prizes for their achievements. That's what you get the gold for. And you can spend it either on real life pleasures set by yourself (a piece of chocolate, an episode of tv series etc.) or on equipment for your character protecting you from some % of the hp damage caused by not completing a task
-addons connecting this to other tools, such as Anki!
-unlike anki and many other tools, you can take a break totally easily, you just rent in the inn :-)

I got it yesterday and it seems to be what I need. So I thought I would share it, just in case you might like it as well.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5570 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 4
30 September 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
... it seems to be what I need, too. \:D/

Ooof, currently disabled for Android 2.3. sadface.

Edited by Bao on 30 September 2013 at 5:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4813 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 4
30 September 2013 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
There is a place on the website to put such issues, I'll post it there somewhere.

You can still experiment with the website interface and see how the thing works for you. It looks better than the mobile version, it's just not always with you (but you can actually solve this by accessing website in the smartphone should you feel the urge.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5570 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 4
30 September 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
They are working on it.
Quote:
Android 2.3.x users - we'll enable for devices once we can fix the CSS / Angular issues found at http://goo.gl/p9x2Pz

I'll still be able to use it on my computer, but I was looking for an app that prompted me at certain times, or which I could check whenever I check my phone because I don't know what else to do. :D

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version