Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3956 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 2
01 October 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm working my way through the FSI basic Spanish course from the 60s. While I'm sure that current FSI materials are
a bit more modern (and don't focus on fascinating topics like who will do the bachelor's laundry), I'm also assuming
that they still use the basic outline of dialogues and drills.

With five hours in class, and three hours at home - what does a typical day in an FSI classroom look like? Are the
drills done in class, or only at home?

I would *love* to learn a language full-time, but I don't think anyone will ever pay me to do it. Ha!

Thanks for any insight!
1 person has voted this message useful

Vesihiisi
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 3888 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Swedish, English
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 2
04 October 2013 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
I've found this blog where the author mentions their experience studying Korean at FSI.
I haven't read the whole blog, but this post looks interesting: http://bit.ly/Yr52Xe

On the day after Labor Day, we reported to FSI, my new home for nine months. On the
very first day of class, our teachers showed us Psy's "Gangnam Style" video. Within 10
days, I learned 한글 - Hangul, the Korean alphabet. Within a few weeks we were reading
simple paragraphs. After 3.5 months, I can now deliver a 10-minute speech in Korean --
albeit v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y and sprinkled with grammatical mistakes.

Of course, it helps that learning Korean is my full-time job. I'm in a small group
classroom for 5-6 hours a day including some 1-on-1 lessons, followed by 2-4 hours of
homework per night. We have monthly immersion outings that put our skills to the test.
All the teachers at FSI are native speakers.

Edited by Vesihiisi on 04 October 2013 at 11:37am

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version