Diglot
United States
Joined 4516 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 9 of 14
03 October 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Pffff yeah, you're not going to offend anyone. Don't sweat it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chav
Diglot
Groupie
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4302 days ago

43 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 10 of 14
05 October 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Today I hit a bunch of grammar in Dutch In 3 Months, like reflexive verbs and object pronouns. I read my grammar books to see if that would make me absorb this stuff any faster/more easily, but I think it's only going to get into my brain with practice.

Also I learned that "aan het" is a special construction, after puzzling over why Facebook was using that when my book told me that you can't put "het" after a preposition. Well, I will get to learning that eventually, for now it's enough to know that it exists. I assume.

1 person has voted this message useful

Chav
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4302 days ago

43 posts - 45 votes

Message 11 of 14
06 October 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
I got a couple of kids books, which are of course beyond me but I shall make my way through with a dictionary. One is about a mouse and the other is about a pig. Fun!

I did an exercise in Dutch In Three Months where I got mixed up with prepositions, mostly because they are prepositions. By which I mean that I just used the wrong ones that seem to mean the same as other ones. I must revise those.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4516 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 12 of 14
06 October 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
I know what you mean about those prepositions (aan, etc.) - they can be really tricky! I
always got confused between the ones that are parts of separable verbs, ones that really
are just regular prepositions, and ones that are thrown in in interesting ways.

You'll get the hang of it soon enough. :-)

Chav
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4302 days ago

43 posts - 45 votes

Message 13 of 14
27 January 2014 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Guess who completely failed to learn Dutch?

I'm thinking of coming back to it now, doing the experiment again only without failing it. I was thinking I couldn't do it this year because I need to do German and they might interfere with each other, but I've decided to put German on hold until April, which leaves a space and I do miss Dutch. But! I always lose motivation and stop-start way too much. I think I need to find smaller goals, like a week-by-week approach?

Suggestions welcome!

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 14 of 14
27 January 2014 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
I suppose that you refer to the «aan het» construction like a progressive tense, i.e. «Ik
ben aan het lezen»? True, that unless it is an exception like this is, since it forms
part of a verbal construction, can one place a pronoun after a preposition. «Ik ben eraan
lezen» would make more sense with the preposition rule, but would be incorrect.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version