Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 1 of 5
02 October 2013 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
I noticed in past tense words of the form -ade, sometime the second peak of the grave accent seems to land on the
second syllable and sometimes on the third.

For instance, in Forvo, städade seems to have the first peak on the first syllable and the second on the third.
Brukade, however, has its second peak on the second syllable.

So, what gives? Is this just something in free variation, different ways of realizing the grave accent? Or is there
really a pronunciation difference between, e.g., brukade and städade?

Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
02 October 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
If the preterite ending is just added to the infinitive, I'd say that the pitch of bruka and bruka(de) is identical. That is, de is just added (and with somewhat neutral pitch).

This three-syllable pattern isn't manifested identically in all regional accents, but the idea is the same:

Two-syllable infinitive - grave pitch accent
Three-syllable preterite - grave pitch accent

Exactly how the grave pitch accent sound in the regional accent (or when spoken by any individual) can vary, and therefore, the way you (or I) hear it may suggest that there is a peak on another syllable than expected.

Edit: Perhaps there are two speakers with different regional accents. Without knowing which (and without explaining it like Swedish is a dialect of Chinese...), either two-syllable pitch accent can be low-high or high-low (and probably all shades in between).

Hope this helps!

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 02 October 2013 at 7:30pm

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4355 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 3 of 5
02 October 2013 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Edit: Perhaps there are two speakers with different regional accents. Without knowing which (and without explaining it like Swedish is a dialect of Chinese...), either two-syllable pitch accent can be low-high or high-low (and probably all shades in between).

The recording for städade is by forum member Cordelia who is originally from Stockholm. (link)

Brukade was recorded by someone with the alias ret001 who indicated that he was "Born and raised in Västerås. Lived in Uppsala since 1978." (link)

Edited by sans-serif on 02 October 2013 at 8:05pm

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 4 of 5
02 October 2013 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, both, that helps a lot. I suppose I'll aim for the Stockholm pronunciation.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 5
02 October 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
To my ears, both recordings have the same pitch contour, or "peak distribution". No big difference.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version