tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5570 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 28
05 October 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Subtitles or not, my main issue with TV (as the main method - not that anybody in this thread suggested that) is that there isn't enough content per time unit (a 2 hour film rarely has two solid hours of dialogue). Barring this, I think it's a great source of all kinds of spoken varieties which you might not encounter in other material.

Did you ever start out with material that had high information density and was relatively transparent in its structure and content, and then you got to know real people and suddenly had to realize you understood naught, not even the bits you knew you knew?
I did, and I realized I had to learn certain parts of the language several times. TV/movies can be an aid for learning oral interaction because you also get to know a lot of gestures, communicative ones as well as cultural ones. Even when accounting for unnatural acting it's still helpful. And, of course, TV can be the closest you can get to the way people in real situations refer to their environment, which bits of information they drop. Of course, it does depend on the cinematic tradition of your target language culture or cultures.

Whether your active skills benefit or not might depend on your learning style. I learn active skills by imitation. Even when I study a grammar point or vocabulary using other methods, I'll only be able to use it spontaneously when I have something a real person said or wrote to imitate, and that curse accompanies me right through my intermediate journey.

Edited by Bao on 05 October 2013 at 4:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5929 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 18 of 28
05 October 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Did you ever start out with material that had high information density and was relatively transparent in its structure and content, and then you got to know real people and suddenly had to realize you understood naught, not even the bits you knew you knew?

Hey, this happens all the time. Or I know most of the words, I know quite a bit of what people are saying, but I miss what's going on. I've always watched quite a bit of Japanese movies and things and really, quite often my mind is spinning a completely different story of what's going on. I'm not sure how other people figure into this, but I find what helps is to find some plot summaries and descriptions of the characters on the internet and read those first. This keeps me from going into random confabulation about the story.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4813 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 19 of 28
05 October 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Well, you can always start with something dubbed that you already know (and like enough to watch again). Of course, you need to choose something with good quality dubbing, which is sometimes not easy.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5929 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 20 of 28
05 October 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Though for me, personally, I think my main interest is the 'Japanese-ness' of things, and not the language itself. So watching dubbed American movies is not really something I'm so interested in. Really, for me the whole point is to get away from all these American movies. Being confused doesn't bother me as much.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5636 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 21 of 28
06 October 2013 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Watching TV does not improve your active skills. My passive Italian (listening and reading) is B1 to B2,
while my active Italian (writing and speaking) is A1 to A2.

Furthermore, I've noticed that American sitcoms, Latin Spanish and Brazilian soap operas use limited vocabulary (10 K max) so everyone can understand them. Thus, they are not great for acquiring new vocabulary (except for idioms and slangs). You waste time when you watch an episode of ''the latest and the greatest'' Brazilian soap opera (they're all the same crap anyway) and you don't learn anything new. Mexican and Brazilian soap operas are made for the ''popular'' (and semi-literate classes), so they feature limited and basic (as in ''elementary school'') vocabulary. They're meant for advanced beginners (A2). The only real advantage is getting exposed to the normal-to-high speed native speech.

So these semi-literate Brazilian and Mexican native speakers only have an A2 command of their native language do they?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5570 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 22 of 28
06 October 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
I wonder if those referring to lower information density, colloquial language and simplified code in audiovisual media as something negative are naturally good at picking up oral interaction styles, or if they don't really care about them.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4248 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 23 of 28
06 October 2013 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Watching TV is effective for language learning. You get to see the action that goes with the dialogue than listening
to the radio. When you are out somewhere it is more common to listen to the radio. You are trying to catch the
rest what was being said by paying attention to a few key words and phrases.

1 thing I don't like about watching TV shows is that I'm usually busy when a show is scheduled and tend to pick
up reruns from the Internet or buy the whole series later from a video store.

In parts of E Asia (places like Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Korea, Singapore, etc.) there are drama series like soap
operas in N. America that usually goes up to no more than 100 episodes. People get glued to the TV every night
watching 1 episode after another. Some will buy drama series from a video shop later and watch it at their own
convenience sometimes even 4 or 5 episodes a night. Once you get into the story, you can pick up a lot of words
and phrases.

Chinese like English has variations depending on your region. I usually have an computer dictionary around. Every
time I come across an unfamiliar word or phrase, I can type in the closest sounding Pinyin or what I think the
English meaning would be and see the equivalent Chinese characters with the English meaning.

I wouldn't rely on are flash cards, books on grammar & vocabulary and phrase books alone. They give you the
basics. Once you get into a conversation you don't usually hear standard greetings and replies like there are
different ways of asking for the price of something you want to buy including "is an item on sale?".

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4363 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 24 of 28
06 October 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Subtitles or not, my main issue with TV (as the main method - not that anybody in this thread suggested that) is that there isn't enough content per time unit (a 2 hour film rarely has two solid hours of dialogue). Barring this, I think it's a great source of all kinds of spoken varieties which you might not encounter in other material.

I'm not sure what you had in mind when referring to material with high information density, but if podcasts qualify, my answer is no. Just the opposite, actually: I've been pleasantly surprised with how well podcast listening has prepared me for real interactions, especially as far as the audio processing / decoding component of listening comprehension is concerned.

Bao wrote:
I wonder if those referring to lower information density, colloquial language and simplified code in audiovisual media as something negative are naturally good at picking up oral interaction styles, or if they don't really care about them.

It's mainly the often low information density that I find frustrating. As jeff_lindqvist said in his original post, TV is great in most other respects—and it's not like I don't watch any at all. I have no problem with colloquial language. I actually go out of my way to find podcasts that feature lots of informal language and spontaneous interaction.

Edited by sans-serif on 08 October 2013 at 3:04pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version