Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 9 of 11
08 October 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
TehGarnt wrote:
Has anyone really had the experience of quickly converting purely
passive ability to active ability just by being immersed in the language environment,
and if so, how similar was the language being converted to languages that they already
had active skills in?

Yes and no. For Turkish, Arabic, and Indonesian, I had used regular text books (Living
Language & Teach Yourself-type books), with a lot of written drills but not many
recordings. Indonesian I hsd been exposed to before, so it's not a pure example.

The transition to active skills through immersion was fast, but not automatic. I
still had to work at it, and do my drills, and have lots of practice conversations.

One trip to Vallarta I thought my Spanish would automatically come back. It didn't.

Edited by kanewai on 08 October 2013 at 7:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

TehGarnt
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

33 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 11
08 October 2013 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
So far, although vocabulary seems clearly to transfer fairly easily from passive to
active use, or from written to audio recognition, I don't recall seeing any examples of
proficiency in producing fundamentally novel grammatical features - say, SOV word order
for English monolinguals - without extensive practice. I may very well have missed
statements to the contrary, but I think that the immersion-activation experiences I've
heard involve either prior proficiency in closely related languages or prior grammatical
practice.

The example of using written drills as a precursor to fast acquisition of spoken skills
is interesting though. Were they just done as written exercises, or were the answers
spoken aloud before writing them down?
1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5206 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 11 of 11
09 October 2013 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
I believe Iversen, prof Arguelles and Huliganov (the Goldlist guy) have said that once an
extensive passive vocabulary has been built up, it can be "activated", possibly in a
matter of days, through immersion in the target country. Has anyone else had similar
experiences?

Just to offer my two cents :

Seven years of learning English in high school left me with a good grammatical knowledge of the language but virtually no speaking ability. Then I didn't use English at all for 3/4 years and started reading extensively in English just before my MA (a painful process at first due to a huge lack of vocabulary). During all these years I read a lot in English but never spoke the language. Two years ago, it happened that one of my collegues was a native English speaker and we started speaking in English quite often. Even if it wasn't that easy at the beginning I found that a few weeks were enough to activate the passive vocabulary I had.

So, I guess my idea is that immersion may not even be necessary and that extensive reading is a sure (albeit very slow) way to develop the necessary basis to active use of the language.

edit : typos

Edited by akkadboy on 09 October 2013 at 10:48am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version