flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5019 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 35
08 October 2013 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Update: Someone else has an adapted version of the tables from French Noun Gender Endings.
www4.ncsu.edu.

3 persons have voted this message useful

jayjayvp
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3886 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Afrikaans
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 18 of 35
08 October 2013 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
Welcome to the forums, Jayjayvp. You may already know these
resources, but just in case not...

-Service Protestant. Not for the test, but perhaps for your own interest? (-Given your
religious studies. Plus:
transcripted!)   

The protestant church of Paris at the Louvre (Oratoire du Louvre) posts 30 minute
services as podcasts, also with transcription. I occasionally listen to one, but as I
listen to sermons, admonitions, reflections, readings and scripture every single day I
find I`m not overly motivated to hoist even more religion on board. Also I fear the
sceptre of "niche vocabulary", that quaint phenomenon which - as noted before - allowed
me to read Hegel in German, but left me struggling with the Bildzeitung!

Also, I pray my breviary in French during week-ends and holidays, and during daily
meditation I now read from the Bible de Jérusalem, I needn`t worry about religious
vocab buildup :D

Edited by jayjayvp on 08 October 2013 at 8:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jayjayvp
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3886 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes

Message 19 of 35
08 October 2013 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Update 9 october 2013

I added a teensy bit to Anki, but nothing like twenty cards, so I`m still fighting the
glut. Not adding anything is harder to do than it looks, so I`ll just add those words
which seem of the most desperate importance.
Also I continued mining the frequency dictionary and can safely say I have anything
north of 1,250 nailed down.

I also converted my previous Teach2000 files to Anki, and set it to feed it five cards
a day for Latin, 3 a day for Afrikaans. Extensive but durable studying will prove
useful in the end, one hopes. Neither of them have priority, but I can`t afford to let
them rust either, especially not Latin.

I read exactly 20 pages in "La bataille de la Somme", some pages I got through with
circling no more than 2 words. I might just actually finish the book in about ten days.
I shall have to wonder about what to read next!

Also six exercises of Grammaire Progressive - which I find boring and try to do first
thing in the morning so as to avoid allowing my creative brain to come up with excuses
for not "having to" do Grammaire Progressive today.

No radio or TV today. No time. Tomorrow's not going to be much better I`m afraid.

jayjayvp
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3886 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes

Message 20 of 35
09 October 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Being stuck in a Class from Hell I discreetly mined another ninety words out of the
Frequency Dictionary and shoved them straight into Anki. The backlog will have to sort
itself out at some point. Doing something constructive with my time is more important
now, I feel, then dealing with backlogs.

I will be ordering new books soon and will set myself a "five book challenge". Five
interesting - but serious - French books to be set within a suitable timeframe.
Also, perusing the logs of more experienced Elders on this forum I`m going to shell out
€70 for the "Buffy Contre les Vampires" set. 144 episodes. Subtitled for starters,
dubbed for later on.

My current book would call that "Artillerie Lourde à Grande Puissance" !

Edited by jayjayvp on 09 October 2013 at 5:12pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5342 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 35
09 October 2013 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
jayjayvp wrote:
I will be ordering new books soon and will set myself a "five book challenge". Five
interesting - but serious - French books to be set within a suitable timeframe.

A very cool idea! Please let us know if you discover anything especially interesting. (And if you find yourself tempted to include a light, fun book or two, just tell yourself it's for broadening your vocabulary!) If you're looking for reviews, both Amazon.fr and SensCritique are quite helpful.

jayjayvp wrote:
Also, perusing the logs of more experienced Elders on this forum I`m going to shell out
€70 for the "Buffy Contre les Vampires" set. 144 episodes.

You've probably already seen this link, but if not: Almost complete & word-for-word transcripts of Buffy's French dub.

jayjayvp
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3886 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes

Message 22 of 35
09 October 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Currently at page 64 of the Somme book, managed to watch the France 2 news today, and an
episode of the Simpsons with french subtitles. No Grammaire Progressive, but I`ll have
more time coming Friday and I`ll try and plug some grammar holes then.
Also as mentioned above, have now covered everything north of the most used 2,000 words
according to the Frequency Dictionary. The Anki french deck now consists of 500 cards,
400 of which unseen.
And so to bed!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 23 of 35
10 October 2013 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
You are obviously on the right path and progressing awesomely! And your log is really exciting, thanks.

emk wrote:
(And if you find yourself tempted to include a light, fun book or two, just tell yourself it's for broadening your vocabulary!)

Very true. Especially the French BDs and crime novels or thrillers are a gold mine.

And if you have trouble with doing grammar exercises, there are basically two ways. Either give up and find another strategy to defeat the grammar. I don't think that is necessary, but that's up to you. Or give yourself some motivation. Like 1 grammar page, 10 pages of fun. It works for me when I'm not feeling like doing serious work.

jayjayvp
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3886 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes

Message 24 of 35
11 October 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
You are obviously on the right path and progressing awesomely! And your
log is really exciting, thanks.

Thank you! I very much appreciate the comments people leave. Very helpful.
A quick update. Well at page 108 now in the Somme book, about halfway, some pages I`m
reading with relative ease, albeit slowly.
The Anki Glut is expanding but not as bothered by this as I was before.
Anki, by the way, is now also marshalled for cramming for those theology courses which
entail a lot of cramming, such a Synoptics and Patristics, an interesting development
at any rate. (A bit of an aside, I know)
About 40 minutes of TV5 today, a lot of it rather washed over me. You can`t win them
all the time.
I really need to find a solution for my grammar problem. I will whack the French Noun
Gender Endings in Anki as well, which at least will give me the illusion of meeting the
problem head on!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version