Pentaglot
IsraelRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4889 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Levantine), Russian, Modern Hebrew*, Arabic (Egyptian), German
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese, Swiss-German

Message 1 of 9
05 October 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Well, not sure if this is the right forum, but anyways...
I would like to teach one of my target languages, which I know quite well (German or Arabic). However, how can I advertise myself as a tutor? How do I find students who will to study those languages? Any ideas? Thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4832 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 2 of 9
05 October 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Take a look at italki.com. It has lots of non-native teachers. Just look at how others advertise their services
and try to come up with something similar.

Jacob_Kap
Pentaglot
IsraelRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4889 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Levantine), Russian, Modern Hebrew*, Arabic (Egyptian), German
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese, Swiss-German

Message 3 of 9
06 October 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
Take a look at italki.com. It has lots of non-native teachers. Just look at how others advertise their services
and try to come up with something similar.

Well, I was talking about teaching as a tutor in my country, not through internet.

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3898 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 4 of 9
07 October 2013 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Well, you know Israel better than most of us. Arabic would obviously be in demand (or is it? Do many Israelis see a need to speak it?), but what's the market for German like as a foreign language? Does it carry stigma, given the context?

Advertise yourself on the internet. Through classifieds in the local paper. Contact schools in your local area. Network, spread the word. Before you know it, a colleague's nephew is apparently interested in learning German. It's not rocket science, really.
3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5906 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 5 of 9
07 October 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
I have no idea really, but do they have Craigslist in Israel? This is where you find this kind of thing here in the Northern California. Also, it's free, so you can put out an advertisement and just see what happens.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4420 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 6 of 9
07 October 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Do you have something like "popular universities" in Israel? They exist in a lot of European countries, and basically they offer courses for adults who want to study after work. I worked for the Norwegian Popular University as a Spanish teacher when I was still a student. Although they might have a preference for native speakers, they also want people who speak the language of the country, and at least in Norway it was hard to come by qualified native speakers who also spoke good Norwegian, so I had no problem getting a job there. Of course, they would not have taken me if I did not have an almost finished university degree to show as my credentials.

Apart from that, as others have said, advertise yourself. Put up posters at the university where you live (if there is one), check with local language schools if they are looking for teachers.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 7 of 9
07 October 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
I agree with the suggestions to use Israel's version of Craigslist. Here in Canada, I post tutor ads on Kijiji - like
Craigslist, it's a free ad board.

It really depends on the market where you live. Where I live - literally in the middle of nowhere - there would be
very little market for foreign language tutors. In major cities, there's both a bigger market and a much better-
paying one.

Good luck!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 9
07 October 2013 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
And don't discount tutoring online! I was skeptical at first, but after seeing how useful Skype sessions were as a
Spanish student, I changed my mind and started teaching a very limited number of online French classes. I still
prefer teaching face-to-face, since the pay is higher and I don't have to sit in front of my computer, but teaching
over Skype is also very rewarding.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version