myspace.com/james_b_
Joined 5759 days ago

22 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: French, Russian, Dutch

Message 1 of 33
08 October 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Hi folks,

I recently returned to the UK after ten years living in Berlin, Germany. My German is very fluent, but I have to say I often met with Germans who had a problem speaking it with me or insisted on using English even though my German was established as good. I also met plenty of nice Germans who gave me compliments on my command of their tongue.

It's fair to say then that speaking German with native German-speakers gets a mixed reaction. In contrast, I've always found Russians very excited about my attempts to speak Russian with them, even though my Russian is still basic. I've had the same thing in Holland with Dutch.

I wondered which language had got you the most positive reaction when you as a learner have tried it out on native speakers.

Cheers

James

Edited by jamesharris on 08 October 2013 at 12:32am

4 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 2 of 33
08 October 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
The MOST positive reaction would have to be when I said "thank you" in Arabic to someone at the airport who clearly wasn't expecting any Arabic from me. He lit up and practically shouted, "you speak our language!" This was in a very superficial way true, I suppose, but I did not get the same kind of joyous response when haggling in the market, on the other hand.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 33
08 October 2013 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
For first impressions, I've received equally small but positive reactions from native speakers when using BCMS/SC, Hungarian, Polish and Slovak. I can't recall an instance when I got an especially memorable positive reaction though.
1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4402 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 4 of 33
08 October 2013 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
jamesharris wrote:
Hi folks,

I recently returned to the UK after ten years living in Berlin, Germany. My German is very fluent, but I have to
say I often met with Germans who had a problem speaking it with me or insisted on using English even
though my German was established as good. I also met plenty of nice Germans who gave me compliments
on my command of their tongue.

It's fair to say then that speaking German with native German-speakers gets a mixed reaction.

That's interesting. I must say I've encountered very little resistance among German people with regard to
speaking their native language. I've spoken with a huge range of people from trendy young students to
elderly farmers.

Maybe it's because I underwent intensive "training" in a small village in the former communist part of
Germany where speaking English was simply not an option. Perhaps my speech became sufficiently
Germanified to prevent natives immediately labelling me as an outsider. I think the language used at the
outset of a new encounter has a big bearing on how the relationship will proceed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

freakyaye
Australia
Joined 4618 days ago

107 posts - 152 votes 

Message 5 of 33
08 October 2013 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Possibly James you were just speaking to busy people?
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4669 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 6 of 33
08 October 2013 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
I wonder how many of the reactions we get are to our own personalities rather than our
language skills? I've had positive responses in places with 'bad' reputations, and
less positive reactions in places that have 'good' reputations.

Paris I (Level: beginner). Pained expressions, as if I were scraping my nails against a
chalkboard. North and Sub-Saharan Africans (Afro-Parisians?) were much more patient
than the native French.

Paris II (Level: mid). Overwhelmingly positive. I got a lot of support, people were
patient, and I was ordered to study more so that I could hold deeper conversations when
I returned.

Arabic I, Jordan (Level: beginner). Fantastic responses. People were very supportive.   

Arabic II, Egypt (Level: beginner). No one gave a crap in Cairo, they just kept trying
to run cons and games on me. Indifferent to pleasant responses in Aswan, Luxor, and
the Sinai.

Turkish (level: advanced beginner). People were often surprised at first, then became a
bit blasé. The reaction was: "You speak Turkish? Amazing." And then they'd switch to
Turkish with me, which was great, but without the 'hand holding' I got in other places.

Spanish (level: advanced beginner / lower middle). People were great in the Yucatan,
Chiapas, and Guatemala. In Mexico City they assume you speak Spanish, so don't expect
any compliments. In Cusco, Peru almost no one would speak Spanish with me, which was
weird, because my Spanish was probably better during that trip than during any other.

9 persons have voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4034 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 7 of 33
08 October 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Arabic II (High beginner level): The response in Jordan was amazing even as I stumbled
through. I only had one incident where someone didn't even try to understand me (a cab
driver, and the cop he asked to "translate" understood exactly what I was saying).
However, everyone was amazing, and loved it when I used slang. They were also all
amused that I didn't speak MSA, but instead their dialect. So, no complaints here.

Spanish (Advanced): In Spain, I just tended to speak English because I wasn't very good
at Spanish at the time. However, usually when I did speak Spanish people were
encouraging. When I moved to Honduras no one spoke English, so people had to deal with
my Spanish whether they liked it or not. Didn't receive nearly as much encouragement in
Honduras, because it was taken for granted that I must speak Spanish. And, indeed, by
the time I left, I spoke Spanish very well.

Italian (Beginner-Advanced): When I first went to Italy and was a beginner, people were
patient and let me make sentences on my own and talked slow. I got a lot of 'why are
you learning our useless language?' questions, but they were very nice to me. When I
returned I was intermediate working my way up to Advanced. Some people, for some
reason, were stubborn about speaking English with me (they wanted English practice).
However, other than that I never had any problems - and usually a lot of encouragement.
However, 2 days before I left, I was talking to someone, and he didn't realize I was
even foreign until I asked him to repeat himself. And I realized at the end the people
in stores didn't think I was foreign either (when my Dutch friend spoke to them in
Italian they were excited, when I did they made that face like; 'of course you can'),
so no complaints, but no encouragement there either. :)

Hungarian (not even beginning level): When I went to Hungary I picked up a few words in
the first couple of hours I was there (thank you, and I could order food and drinks).
The Hungarians thought it was great.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4910 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 8 of 33
08 October 2013 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
I've always found Thais to be very accepting. I can't recall a single situation since reaching basic fluency where Thais have switched to English or some other language. No enthusiastic reactions, though, just normal conversations. I assume enthusiastic reactions are generally reserved for beginners.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version