Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 4822 days ago

18 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: German*, French, English, Romanian
Studies: Icelandic, Persian, Hungarian, Danish

Message 33 of 33
24 October 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Danish: Strangely, usually no reaction at all in the bigger cities, but in the smaller towns of Jutland, people
seemed to be pleasantly surprised and very helpful, too.
Icelandic: Everything from annoyance ("you know, I speak English, too") to disbelief ("Icelandic? But, are you
ok?!"). Still, once (if) they accepted speaking Icelandic with me, they seemed to be happy about it.
Hungarian: Next to no reaction in Budapest, very positive reactions anywhere else, and being stared at as if I
were from a different planet in the Hungarian-speaking parts of Transsylvania.
Romanian: Overwhelmingly positive. After my Romanian had gotten to a fairly advanced level, people in
Bucharest often thought I was Transsylvanian (maybe because I still didn't speak quite as fast as them, which
is a well-known cliché on people from that region). Once during a long cab ride I told the driver where I was
from and he bursted out: "Wait, so you're not a Romanian after all? So that's why your Romanian is so bad!"
Clearly he didn't except anyone to learn his language, so anything below native command was "bad" to him!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version