United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4629 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 17 of 17
14 February 2014 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Having done this a few years back. I can tell you it took me all summer to pull the trick (after about 15 years after
one year of college Greek). So believe what you will. I'd say I socked about a half an hour a day into it. I devoured
JACT and Athenaze and Ancient Greek Alive. All I can say is, the grammar rules sink in better with a lot of
reading. I mean a lot. At the end of the summer I picked up a copy of Steadman's Herodotus Histories Book 1.
After a few attempts at finding an entry point that worked, I managed to read the whole thing.

As for pronunciation, who cares? Unless you've got plans to go to Greece, no one will ever know. I promise.
Especially if you wind up being able to read works written in Greek. My usual advice: pick one pronunciation and
stick with it.

Once you are at the point of being able to read for fun, Geoffrey Steadman and Stephen Nimis have put together
several readers for beginning readers. They are cheap and well worth it. Search their names on Amazon. Lucian's
A True Story is solid gold.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version