Germany
Joined 6029 days ago

71 posts - 73 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Dutch, Japanese

Message 17 of 20
23 October 2013 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Very nice log, and with all the posted recommendations for Dutch it more or less turns out to be a goldmine (especially the uitzendinggemist.nl site). I'll make sure to come by on a regular basis. :)

Edited by Biene on 23 October 2013 at 10:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5418 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 18 of 20
27 October 2013 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
I'd like to express my appreciation for the book recommendations. Mulisch is a name I know, I remember reading "Siegfried" (well, I don't remember how it ends, so maybe I didn't finish it). I'll take a look at what the library has in a couple of days and see what I might find.

My wife and I decided we could take a last-minute long weekend and visit her parents, so after working all of Wednesday and driving, then being here, there's not been much done in language learning. I'm keeping up with the scriptorium excercise in Ancient Greek and reading a minor amount in Spanish, but other than that, I'm not doing anything in my study plan. I get good practice in Schwäbisch, though.

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5418 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots

Message 19 of 20
04 November 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
So, after a nice long weekend (the 1st was a holiday), I'm back at work today. I've been working on the languages, and I'm taking part in the 6-Week-Challenge with Korean (as @DrPhilipStewart). I've only been updating that through twitter for Korean, I haven't bothered with the other languages (I am also not clear if extra language learning has to follow the same rules as a target language; if not, I could claim a ridiculous number of daily hours in "extensive learning" for German, haha).

I'm not continuing with my Arabic lessons. It's just too much on my plate right now.

For Latin and Greek, I'm still trying to get a regular scriptorium going, it seems to be hit-and-miss. I read a bit in each daily, at least.

For Spanish, I have'nt wached any more films, but I've been talking a bit and listening to native-material podcasts, so that's something.

I watched some Dutch tv last week, but I still haven't made it to the library for some reading.

In Hebrew, I started working through my old textbook again; with the spottiness of my knoweldge it is probably necessary. I've only managed two units, though.

I really want to find some time to get going with Mandarin, I've started to try and look for time to mess with it, but between participating in the 6WC and writing my second dissertation, I don't know if I will find time. That's why I dropped Arabic for the present, or at least dropped the lessons, but I feel more confident dealing with Mandarin on my own so maybe finding time now and then will look different for Mandarin that it did for Arabic. Another factor is the fact that I can get rolling with audio, rather than having to worry about the MSA-Dialect materials issue that I had with Arabic; then again, maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into something here...

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5418 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 

Message 20 of 20
10 November 2013 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Days later...

My motivation for Korean started to lag in the last few days. I've been listening to native materials when I can't do much else, and my understanding is around 15%. I was doing pretty well until Friday, and I just had to slow down. Might pick up some in the coming week.

Latin and Greek are about where they were. I manage to read at least a few lines each day, but I just can't find the time to sit and write scriptorium stuff with all of what's going on. This is partially because what I currently manage is mobile, and when I have time to write I have more pressing things. At least they won't suffer until I wrap up my other obligations.

In Spanish, I'm listening to a couple of hours of native material daily, and writing SMS regularly. I want to get back to reading, but again, time.

For Hebrew, I did one more unit (in 6 days, I know. I have to start moving on this).

I have started practicing French and Italian again, which is mostly something I can do mobile as well. I guess I will set the following goals: I'd like to see my French catch up with my Spanish by summer, and have Italian to "basic fluency" within the same time frame (futher goal: clear understanding of certain operas by next Christmas without relying on subtitles in stronger languages).

In Dutch, I've only done a couple of hours of listening. I still want to get to the library, and haven't yet found time.

Arabic and Mandarin are still just waiting.

Frankly, I think I'm doing pretty well, considering that I am deep into writing a dissertation for my second doctoral degree, and that I've commited to submit before Christmas. I just have to keep my priorities straight (I need the ancient languages in the coming year for work, and facility with Spanish will also be important for another aspect of said work. Everything else can only be fun). Lord, help me not do something like decide to start Portuguese or Afrikaans...

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version