Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Foreign accents in your native language?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>
Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4453 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 25 of 51
10 October 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
The Serbian accent.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4154 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 26 of 51
10 October 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Lithuanian, although I've only heard one person with that accent. I went to eat at a restaurant and spent the whole time trying to figure out where the waitress was from--the accent sounded slightly Eastern European, but there was something noticeably different about it. Eventually I just broke down and asked her where she was from, and apparently she was from Lithuania. It was a really nice sounding accent!
3 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3884 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 27 of 51
10 October 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
What is even a Scottish (or British, or Australian, or American etc.)?

Most people I've met in real life who claim to have a thing for Scottish accents have been thinking of some sanitised version of Mel Gibson putting on a fake accent... and they're definitely not thinking of anything on the other end of the Scots spectrum.

I'm not saying that's what people here are all thinking of, but I've always found it peculiar to hear so many people in general say that they loooove Scottish accents, but their only exposure is usually Hollywood (Scottish accent sanitised for Americans, or Americans putting on what they think sounds Scottish).

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 28 of 51
10 October 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
I've encountered plenty Scots before. I particularly like variants where the roll of the
r is stronger (not the watered-down thing or the posh Edinburgh variant). Glaswegian
patter can be a little too broad though ;)

Edited by tarvos on 10 October 2013 at 4:53pm

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3884 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 29 of 51
10 October 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
I never said you hadn't. I explicitly spoke about people I've met in real life, and made a point of not including forumites. I expect people on a language forum to know a little more about it than the general public.

Nonetheless, I still find it rather confusing to say that one finds "Scottish", "English", "Australian", "American" etc. accents sexy (in English) without specifying, unless of course one means to say that one finds them all sexy. ;) There's a great variation in a way that there isn't quite with a foreign accent.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5890 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 30 of 51
10 October 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
In my part of Scotland (North-East), the local dialect is Doric. Listen to this Poem in Doric to get the sound.

A small selection of Doric words:

Aabody .... everbody
Aathing .... everything
Aye .... yes
Bairn .... baby or young child
Bleeter .... to talk aimlessly
Bosie .... cuddle or hug
Braw .... good, great
Caul .... cold
Deid .... dead
Dinna .... don't
Dreich .... cold, wet and windy
Drookit .... drenched, soaking
Fin .... when
Fit Like .... hello, how are you?
Fitya dee'in? .... what are you doing?
Hale .... whole
Heid .... head
Ken .... know
Loon .... boy
Lugs .... ears
Nae .... no
Neep .... turnip
Quine .... girl
Richt .... right
Scunnered .... fed Up
Scutter .... delay
Spikin .... speaking
Stooshie .... fuss
Wifie .... woman

When I first moved here 20 years ago, I hardly understood a word. Now it's as familiar and comforting as "a cuppie an a funcy piece" (tea and fancy cake or bread and jam).

Edited by Mooby on 10 October 2013 at 6:57pm

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5513 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 31 of 51
10 October 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
In Polish, I find Eastern Slavic (Russian, Ukrainian, Belarussian) accents very pleasant. They make Polish more soft and melodic, contrary to what they sound in English for example, when they might sound hard and harsh.

Italian accent is also pretty nice sounding.

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3958 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 32 of 51
11 October 2013 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I would suspect them to be more tolerant of the situation, precisely because they don't
get a lot of attention for their language.

Nah, I've definitely had this experience. The problem you have in Vietnam is that half of the people you speak to will be so expecting you to speak English that when you speak Vietnamese, they're trying to work out what you said in English. The more you experience foreign accents in your language, the better you get at understanding them. It's not about tolerance and patience, simply skill in listening to different accents.

Someone told me a story about a taxi driver who couldn't understand him when he asked to go to the airport. Now obviously if you pronounce something wrong in Vietnamese, if means a different word entirely. But someone who is skilled in listening to foreign accents would be able to look at the context, see the person with a suitcase, and deduce that they're probably not saying "I want to go to calculus now."

My parents came to visit me earlier this year, and they had a much harder time than me understanding the locals when they were speaking English, but they got better the longer they stayed. It doesn't even have to be a foreign accent. I have an American friend who couldn't watch Father Ted without subtitles because he couldn't understand the Irish accents. You can have all the will in the world, but if you've never heard your language pronounced by a foreigner before (or even someone from a different part of the country) then you're going to have a hard time of it.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version