Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Foreign accents in your native language?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>
I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3960 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 33 of 51
11 October 2013 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
What is even a Scottish (or British, or Australian, or American etc.)?

Most people I've met in real life who claim to have a thing for Scottish accents have been thinking of some sanitised version of Mel Gibson putting on a fake accent... and they're definitely not thinking of anything on the other end of the Scots spectrum.

I'm not saying that's what people here are all thinking of, but I've always found it peculiar to hear so many people in general say that they loooove Scottish accents, but their only exposure is usually Hollywood (Scottish accent sanitised for Americans, or Americans putting on what they think sounds Scottish).

Reminds me of this.
2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3886 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 34 of 51
11 October 2013 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
The more you experience foreign accents in your language, the better you get at understanding them. It's not about tolerance and patience, simply skill in listening to different accents.

I'm going to disagree. I actually think that a lot of the time it is about tolerance and patience. I'm not saying that experience doesn't help with accent comprehension, but when you're not interested in understanding you're not going to get better at it just because you get experience. A lot of people just aren't interested.

I see this in my own family, unfortunately, and the more xenophobia that is present in the family member, the less they claim to understand foreigners, and the more reasons they have not to ("Swedish is such a musical language foreigners get it incomprehensibly wrong", "Swedish has so many compound words and no foreigner can ever figure out how to break them up").

Lack of interest also seems to affect people's ability to differentiate between accents (since this is a thread about different accents after all). The locals where I live are very used to hearing accented French, but they are so very disinterested that "it's all the same" and they seem to judge the origin of the accent mostly on the speaker's skin tone. Meanwhile, I, with virtually no experience, have found myself able to differentiate between several European accents in French on radio and TV. I can tell you that I do not sound remotely English when I speak French, but every "white" accent here is always English. Some people, even after I tell them in French that I'm Swedish, instantly forget and keep referring to me as English and asking politely about my homeland, England.
8 persons have voted this message useful

zografialep
Hexaglot
Groupie
GreeceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3926 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek, Greek*, EnglishC2, GermanB2, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Russian

Message 35 of 51
12 October 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
In my native language, greek, I dont mean to harsh but no other accent is pleasant to the
ear.
I think it's because we are kind of secluded, our language is very hard and rarely do
people try to learn it, much less have the local accent. Greeks can instantly tell if
someone is a foreigner, because no one can get the accent right. Plus, we're not used to
foreigners speaking greek, except for a small amount of immigrants, so we instantly
notice when something doesn't sound correct.
I dont mean to discourage people from speaking my language though! If you ever come, make
sure to make use of the language, the people would be glad to see you try. :)

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4391 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 36 of 51
12 October 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I love the English spoken in the outer Hebrides, which has a lilt that mainland Scottish
English doesn't have (to my ears). Here's an example of a native Gaelic speaker speaking
English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=JIF1xSacEgc

JoeMcC
Pentaglot
United States
joe185.wordpress.com
Joined 5351 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish, Spanish, Mandarin, French
Studies: Scottish Gaelic, German, Catalan, Breton

Message 37 of 51
13 October 2013 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
Eyðimörk said "I can tell you that I do not sound remotely English when I speak French, but every "white" accent here is always English. Some people, even after I tell them in French that I'm Swedish, instantly forget and keep referring to me as English and asking politely about my homeland, England."[/QUOTE]

I was talking in French to two young ladies at a counter at the airport in Dorval, outside Montreal. One of them said something that I couldn't get even when she repeated it and she said "Oh! You are English!"

I said, "Actually, I'm American." (Even worse for an Irish-American to be told he is "English", but of course I didn't get into that.) She shrugged and said "It's the same thing."

As for my favorite accent in English, maybe when I hear the right Spanish or Italian speakers. But "just the right ... speaker" betrays my tendency to react to the features of each individual's voice.

Edited by JoeMcC on 13 October 2013 at 6:20am

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4145 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 38 of 51
13 October 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
zografialep wrote:
In my native language, greek, I dont mean to harsh but no other accent is pleasant to the
ear.
I think it's because we are kind of secluded, our language is very hard and rarely do
people try to learn it, much less have the local accent. Greeks can instantly tell if
someone is a foreigner, because no one can get the accent right. Plus, we're not used to
foreigners speaking greek, except for a small amount of immigrants, so we instantly
notice when something doesn't sound correct.
I dont mean to discourage people from speaking my language though! If you ever come, make
sure to make use of the language, the people would be glad to see you try. :)

I like accents, I don't mind them. I guess it's a matter of taste!

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4409 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 39 of 51
13 October 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
zografialep wrote:
In my native language, greek, I dont mean to harsh but no other accent is pleasant to
the ear. I think it's because we are kind of secluded, our language is very hard and rarely do
people try to learn

I wish I had a pound for every time I heard a native speaker insist that their language is the one of the
"hardest"
3 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 40 of 51
13 October 2013 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
I don't like foreign accents in Russian at all. Well, to be honest, I haven't heard much, so it's more of a prejudice, but it is as it is. And I will not claim that this is because Russian is the hardest language, it's just because I easily can catch accents and feel its falseness. But I repeat, I haven't heard much.
P.S. Some accents of English truly annoy me. I tend to say r and th as more English as I only can, and this has its effect with German (in case of r - and I don't think that this is good), so I'm actually thrilled when I hear someone talking with rolled r or brand French version of th. Especially angry because of it I become if I hear that in movies. It's actors job to talk with normal/ standard English, but when they roll r, I'm ready to shout "Why these teachers and books were fooling me if they can talk like I wanted to and everyone can perfectly understand them?!"...

Edited by Via Diva on 13 October 2013 at 2:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version