Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Foreign accents in your native language?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4552 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 41 of 51
13 October 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
P.S. Some accents of English truly annoy me. I tend to say r and th as more English as I only can, and this has its effect with German (in case of r - and I don't think that this is good), so I'm actually thrilled when I hear someone talking with rolled r or brand French version of th. Especially angry because of it I become if I hear that in movies. It's actors job to talk with normal/ standard English, but when they roll r, I'm ready to shout "Why these teachers and books were fooling me if they can talk like I wanted to and everyone can perfectly understand them?!"...
I don't think many English native speakers these days would agree that it's the actor's job to speak standard English. Their job is to portray a character, and the way the character speaks is expected to be consistent with their background (or at least, with the stereotypes the audience associates with said background).

Also, what did you mean by the French version of th? Is it the way French speakers (mis)pronounce the English sounds ([s]/[z]) or the way that they pronounce that combination of letters in French words ([t])? Because as far as I know there are no dialects of English where th is pronounced as [s] or [z]. When the pronunciation isn't the standard [θ] and [ð] it's either something resembling [t] and [d] or [f] and [v].
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4014 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 42 of 51
13 October 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
I don't think many English native speakers these days would agree that it's the actor's job to speak standard English. Their job is to portray a character, and the way the character speaks is expected to be consistent with their background (or at least, with the stereotypes the audience associates with said background).

Also, what did you mean by the French version of th?

I'm not sure if I remember that clearly, but I think it really pissed me off when I was watching "Despicable Me": Steve Carell's rolled r. I don't think that Gru really needed to roll r that badly that I would remember it even better than film itself, but that's the point of view, of course. Plus, English is so misty when it comes to pronunciation, that I expect English and American actors to speak standards, when others can do whatever they want to - I can easily "forgive" Spanish accent, for example.

I meant s/z. Well, I had very bad start, having read in mother's course book that one should never pronounce th as s/z, now I'm somewhere between correct pronunciation and v/f, it depends on what I'm thinking about while speaking.

But I'm dealing with s/z often enough to somewhat accept it, but when I hear rolled r, I really want to cry. Yeah, I envy them! That's why I hate these accents :)
1 person has voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4831 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 43 of 51
13 October 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
Plus, English is so misty when it comes to pronunciation, that I
expect English and American actors to speak standards...

But where's the fun in that? Dialects have been a part of the English literary tradition ever since Chaucer
wrote the Reeve's Tale. The great 19th century novelists--Dickens, Gaskell, Eliot, etc.--all employed non-
standard and dialectal varieties of English in their works. "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" would hardly be the
great show that we know it to be if the characters did not speak with an accent so thick that subtitles were
required. Or the "Sopranos," for instance, with their Italian-American New York/New Jersey accents. Words
like "bookyak" or "goomah" did a lot to give them authenticity. Not to mention the Minnesota accent in
"Fargo," which was a character of its own. Ya, you
betcha!

Edited by espejismo on 13 October 2013 at 7:48pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

LanguagePhysics
United States
Joined 3926 days ago

34 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 44 of 51
14 October 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
It seems that native English speakers are the most tolerant of non-natives trying to speak their language.

I get the impression that speakers of some languages that aren't used to hearing foreigners try and speak their language get irritated by mistakes and mispronunciations that foreigners make and are far less tolerant of their language being poorly spoken.

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3870 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 45 of 51
26 October 2013 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
As for Italian I'd say none.
No matter how cool the accent could be within its original language, I actually don't
like hearing Italian with a foreign accent.
For the record I've also never heard a foreigner speaking like a native even in language
courses (pimsleur,michel thomas...) it just seems Italian accent it's a tough one to
master.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 46 of 51
26 October 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:
I don't think many English native speakers these
days would agree that it's the actor's job to speak standard English. Their job is to
portray a character, and the way the character speaks is expected to be consistent with
their background (or at least, with the stereotypes the audience associates with said
background).

Also, what did you mean by the French version of th?

I'm not sure if I remember that clearly, but I think it really pissed me off when I was
watching "Despicable Me": Steve Carell's rolled r. I don't think that Gru really
needed to roll r that badly that I would remember it even better than film
itself, but that's the point of view, of course. Plus, English is so misty when it
comes to pronunciation, that I expect English and American actors to speak standards,
when others can do whatever they want to - I can easily "forgive" Spanish accent, for
example.

I meant s/z. Well, I had very bad start, having read in mother's course book that one
should never pronounce th as s/z, now I'm somewhere between correct pronunciation and
v/f, it depends on what I'm thinking about while speaking.

But I'm dealing with s/z often enough to somewhat accept it, but when I hear rolled
r, I really want to cry. Yeah, I envy them! That's why I hate these accents :)

Originally, RP English had a rolled r. It's a very posh way to speak and makes you
sound like you are an ancient English duke. Some dialects actually maintain a rolled R,
but in this case, you would have to be Scottish, Welsh or South African. If you're not
from one of these regions (or perhaps an African or a Caribbean speaker that maintains
a rolled r, I don't know if these dialects do) then speaking with one is very
disingenuous.

Dutch has the same problem with r choice by the way - some people roll their r's, but
equally many produce a French r. Both are correct, although I don't know what they
teach foreigners - I think they probably teach the rolled r. However if you speak with
a French r there is no inconvenience at all. The difference doesn't really register.

Edited by tarvos on 26 October 2013 at 6:33pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3924 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 47 of 51
26 October 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
JoeMcC wrote:

I was talking in French to two young ladies at a counter at the airport in Dorval, outside Montreal. One of them
said something that I couldn't get even when she repeated it and she said "Oh! You are English!"

I said, "Actually, I'm American." (Even worse for an Irish-American to be told he is "English", but of course I didn't
get into that.) She shrugged and said "It's the same thing."

In my experience, French-speaking Canadians often refer to English-speaking Canadians as "English" and vice-
versa (French-speakers are often called "French" by English-speakers). Often, "English" means anglophone and
"French" means francophone. They probably weren't suggesting that they thought you were from England!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3924 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 48 of 51
26 October 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Personally...I love my husband's oh-so-soft-it's-barely-noticeable Tagalog accent. But I have to admit that a really
strong Tagalog accent in English isn't the most beautiful-sounding thing in the world.

I love West Indian accents. I also love listening to Italian-speakers speak French.

Edited by Stelle on 26 October 2013 at 7:16pm

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version