Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Foreign accents in your native language?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 49 of 51
26 October 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
bela_lugosi wrote:
Finnish spoken with the typical Italian accent sounds rather funny to me. :) Accents such as the American one - or the French accent - are the most irritating because there often seems to be very little if any effort to mimic the pronunciation of the target language and because they are the most difficult to understand.
Thiiis!
Maybe even for both, though Leopejo is the only example that's anywhere near that. at least right after a stay in Italy :D
1 person has voted this message useful

MarlonX19
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 3952 days ago

40 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: French

Message 50 of 51
30 October 2013 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Girls, who are native speakers of french, speaking Portuguese with THAT accet are very sexy! ;)   On the other hand, I feel like punching out when it's a boy.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4040 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 51 of 51
30 October 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
MarlonX19 wrote:
Girls, who are native speakers of french, speaking Portuguese with THAT accet are very sexy! ;)   On the other hand, I feel like punching out when it's a boy.

.........................................wow.

Working in a hospital I was exposed to a myriad of different Finnish accents. I liked all of the accents I could understand, but some didn't sound so pleasant to me as others did. Mostly it was a case of the individual and not the native language though, so I'll just recount the instances I found funniest. Once there was a Swedish woman who had been living in Finland (not a Finland-Swede) and she had the tiniest hint of singsong in her Finnish which was pronunciation wise perfect and I thought it sounded really pleasant. Then there was this elder British man who had lived in Finland for ages and he sounded like Sean Connery speaking Finnish, which was at least interesting to listen to.

The Russian and Estonian accents bother me sometimes because (depending on the speaker), they employ palatalization which sounds really curious to me (even though we have some dialects that have word final palatalization so go figure).

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version