Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 97 of 299
18 October 2013 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
S allard's mentioning of Acadian made me curious to learn more about it.

Obligatory YouTube link to Lisa LeBlanc, one of my favorite singers in any language, be it French or Acadien.
1 person has voted this message useful

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5392 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 98 of 299
18 October 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
I've hesitated to chime in, but I'm going to have to come down on the side that mutual intelligibility, even to an extremely high degree, does not constitute language identity. I can't say much about similarity in the Scandinavian languages, or about those of the former Yugoslavia, but I would make this claim based on German languages.

When spoken without too much influence from Standard (German) German, as I think Iversen has pointed out, Platt is definitely a different language (funny story, I have a friend who grew up speaking it, and if I overhear him, I understand it as Dutch for the first 30 seconds or so).

Where I can really make my point is going to be regarding the languages spoken at the south end of the continuum of "German", specifically Bairisch (Austro-Bavarian) and Schwäbisch. I can understand and get by in both middle and upper Bavarian, though when I speak it, it gets a lot of influence, I don't know the unique words for everything.
Swabian, though...there has been an interesting movement to get a standard orthography, and at this point I think it would be hard for an objective observer to doubt the independence of the language. There's even a Bible translation into Schwäbisch from the original texts, without relying on "standard German" assistance. The language, a dialect of Alemannian, is quite alive, spoken to a high level by quite a few diglots who still need "standard German" for education and professional life. The orthography is also different.

Both of these have active initiatives to protect and encourage the development of the langages.
Links for the interested, in German:
Förderverein Bayerische Sprache und Dialekte
Schwäbisch schwätza
Schwäbische Kirch

The respective Wikipedia articles are also helpful:
Schwäbisch, which points out that it could be an independant language and this is only doubted when "standard German" is used as a Dachsprache, something which standardized spelling as in the bible takes care of
Bairisch, which notes that Bavarian as a language has been considered endangered by UNESCO since 2009

There are very few monolingual speakers of either of these, and neither is the language of a political entity. Granted, some variants may be as little as 70-80% mutually intelligible with "standard German", but I would opine it better to err on the side of caution.

Do I put these on my CV? Well, no, but because it's not really relevant. In conversation, I do mention it if those languages come up, and in some professional situations I have been known to switch when around native speakers. If someone pushes me to directly list languages, I certainly include them (if necessary, accompanied by the plea that they are, indeed, languages and not regional dialects).
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 99 of 299
18 October 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The director of the film told us that this was a quintessentially Scandinavian film because nobody objected on the grounds of language. I couldn't believe my ears that a Swedish actor would be cast to play a Norwegian writer while speaking Swedish. Only in Scandinavia.

I agree that it's a strange decision to actually let the actors speak different languages, but it's not that far a cry from an entire cast speaking English while playing French, Romans, Vikings... and then include the standard scene where someone is surprised: "Oh, you speak our language!".
4 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 100 of 299
18 October 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Acadian and Quebecois possibly would qualify as different enough from standard French to be considered
different languages.

As a French Canadian (neither Quebecoise nor Acadian - my family tree has roots in Northern Ontario, another very
French part of Canada) - I have to disagree. They're no more different languages than British English and American
English are different languages, or Castillano and Argentinian Spanish. Accents are different, vocabulary is a bit
different, idiomatic expressions aren't quite the same - but that doesn't make them different languages.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 101 of 299
18 October 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Acadian and Quebecois possibly would qualify as different enough from standard French to be considered
different languages.

As a French Canadian (neither Quebecoise nor Acadian - my family tree has roots in Northern Ontario, another very
French part of Canada) - I have to disagree. They're no more different languages than British English and American
English are different languages, or Castillano and Argentinian Spanish. Accents are different, vocabulary is a bit
different, idiomatic expressions aren't quite the same - but that doesn't make them different languages.

Then I'll take your word for it. You are the expert :-)

I am not in a position to judge whether these variants are different enough, as I have never heard them spoken - just read about them - but I could not rule it out. My main point was that what I have heard of Belgian French certainly would not qualify as a different language.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 102 of 299
18 October 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
It doesn't qualify as one. Maybe in the rural areas the dialect can be stronger, but then
you'd need to talk to someone who goes there for pleasure.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5211 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 103 of 299
18 October 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Stelle wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

different languages.

As a French Canadian (neither Quebecoise nor Acadian - my family tree has roots in Northern Ontario, another
very
French part of Canada) - I have to disagree. They're no more different languages than British English and
American

Then I'll take your word for it. You are the expert :-)

I am not in a position to judge whether these variants are different enough, as I have never heard them spoken -
just read about them - but I could not rule it out. My main point was that what I have heard of Belgian French
certainly would not qualify as a different language.

Let me weigh in on this. Our discussion about what constitutes a distinct language has centered on two criteria:
linguistic features and political status. Why are Québécois and Acadian not considered distinct languages from
French French? It's not the lack of distinctive linguistic features. It's their political status.

I won't go into a boring historical treatise on the question, but I'd like to look at how use the word French-
Canadian or Canadien-français has evolved considerably in the last 50 years. Prior to the late 60s the French-
speaking population of Canada was called French-Canadian. People spoke about French-Canadian literature,
culture, etc. The word Québécois referred only to the habitants of Québec City.

The rise of a strong Quebec independence movement in the 60s led to a radical change in vocabulary. The
inhabitants of the province of Quebec are now known as les Québécois and this is the word used to refer to
anything related to Quebec, i.e. literature, music, cinema, etc.

The word canadien-français has basically disappeared from daily usage in Quebec. In fact it is often used in a
derogatory manner. It is sometimes used to refer to French-speakers outside of Quebec and Acadia although a
very common term is franco-canadien.

The word francophone that was unheard of 60 years ago has become very prominant and will often replace
canadien-français. No one in their right mind would speak today of la litérature canadienne-française or
French-Canadian literature when speaking of all literature in French from Canada. What they would probably say
is la litérature francophone.

To come back to our debate here, this evolution of terms like canadien-français, québécois and francophone is
the product of a process that we see all over the world: words change meaning and usage to reflect political and
social changes.

On a separate note, our debate reminded me that there will be a referendum on the independence of Scotland in
2014. If the Yes side wins and Scotland becomes an independent country, a decision will have to made about the
official language be? Will it be Scots, English or Scottiish Gaelic?

Edited by s_allard on 19 October 2013 at 5:44am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 104 of 299
18 October 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Belardur wrote:
I've hesitated to chime in, but I'm going to have to come down on the side that mutual intelligibility, even to an extremely high degree, does not constitute language identity. I can't say much about similarity in the Scandinavian languages, or about those of the former Yugoslavia, but I would make this claim based on German languages.

When spoken without too much influence from Standard (German) German, as I think Iversen has pointed out, Platt is definitely a different language (funny story, I have a friend who grew up speaking it, and if I overhear him, I understand it as Dutch for the first 30 seconds or so).

Where I can really make my point is going to be regarding the languages spoken at the south end of the continuum of "German", specifically Bairisch (Austro-Bavarian) and Schwäbisch. I can understand and get by in both middle and upper Bavarian, though when I speak it, it gets a lot of influence, I don't know the unique words for everything.
Swabian, though...there has been an interesting movement to get a standard orthography, and at this point I think it would be hard for an objective observer to doubt the independence of the language. There's even a Bible translation into Schwäbisch from the original texts, without relying on "standard German" assistance. The language, a dialect of Alemannian, is quite alive, spoken to a high level by quite a few diglots who still need "standard German" for education and professional life. The orthography is also different.

Both of these have active initiatives to protect and encourage the development of the langages.
Links for the interested, in German:
Förderverein Bayerische Sprache und Dialekte
Schwäbisch schwätza
Schwäbische Kirch

The respective Wikipedia articles are also helpful:
Schwäbisch, which points out that it could be an independant language and this is only doubted when "standard German" is used as a Dachsprache, something which standardized spelling as in the bible takes care of
Bairisch, which notes that Bavarian as a language has been considered endangered by UNESCO since 2009

There are very few monolingual speakers of either of these, and neither is the language of a political entity. Granted, some variants may be as little as 70-80% mutually intelligible with "standard German", but I would opine it better to err on the side of caution.

Do I put these on my CV? Well, no, but because it's not really relevant. In conversation, I do mention it if those languages come up, and in some professional situations I have been known to switch when around native speakers. If someone pushes me to directly list languages, I certainly include them (if necessary, accompanied by the plea that they are, indeed, languages and not regional dialects).

In comparison to standard German, I wouldn't automatically dispute that Plattdeutsch, Bayerisch (Boarisch), Schwaebisch (and especially Schwyzerduetsch) are languages. However this realization is founded on how divergent they are; not on non-linguistic criteria. Even if Lower Saxony, Bavaria, Swabia and Switzerland had never existed or if the respective speech communities came to imagine themselves to be always the same ethnic group, that wouldn't say much why the morphology, lexis and phonology are that divergent. There's nothing "unnatural" or "improper" about a seemingly unifed ethnic group showing language variation to the point where they can't understand each other natively without resorting to a common standard language any more than different ethnic groups use nothing more than variants of one language to the point where these different ethnic groups can't reliably or honestly conclude that the others speak a different "language" just because of their ethnic affiliation or place of residence within some borders.

On a CV I wouldn't reject a candidate who put down one or more of the divergent items beside "German" (implied to be the standard form) because I know how different they are but like you I would wonder a little bit about the motivation. In business, using non-standard or regional forms with clients isn't that useful outside perhaps the occasional informal chat on the phone or if it's known that the clients will have little problem with or even welcome the use of such regionalisms or non-standard items in business communications.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version