Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 153 of 299
24 October 2013 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
But if you disregard the written language and certain cultural references, couldn't we say that there really is one Scandinavian language with three variants?

Yeah, I've heard people use the umbrella term "Scandinavian" for this one language (...continuum). A friend of mine even saw it in a(n American) book about linguistics.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Maralol
Nonaglot
France
Joined 4799 days ago

35 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, French*, English, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Catalan
Studies: Polish, Danish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 154 of 299
24 October 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
" couldn't we
say that there really is one Scandinavian language with three variants?"
As far as I know several linguists share this point of view.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 155 of 299
24 October 2013 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Interesting contrast of perceptions between Cristina and Tricoteuse:

Cristina says that Norwegians have an inferiority complex vis-a-vis Swedes, whereas
Tricoteuse says that only Swedes will accept telesales jobs in Norway.

BTW, how would you define Svorsk?

3 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 156 of 299
24 October 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone ever seen a polyglot who speaks 7 or 8 languages really well? Most of the guys on youtube
seem to excel in 2 or 3 and speak the rest in broken fashion.

The British bloke Richard Simcott is exceptionally good.

Edited by beano on 24 October 2013 at 11:39pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 157 of 299
25 October 2013 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Yes, I have.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 158 of 299
25 October 2013 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Could anyone post a reference to any place where the Scandinavian languages are considered one language by linguists? I have never seen that. The only times I hear that used, is when Finns say they do not understand Norwegian, but that they understand "Scandinavian". What they mean to say is that they understand Swedish.

Norwegians' inferiority complex is if historic origin. Sweden has been a colonial power, Norway has been a colony. Their colony. I have read that when king Karl Johan came to Oslo for the first time (he had demanded Norway as his prize for siding with England against Napoleon), he looked around him in disgust (Oslo was a poor, dirty city, nowhere near the brilliant streets and palaces of Stockholm) and said "Have I let my men die for this!"

We are slowly trying to shake off that inferiority complex, but it will take time, and not all the oil in the North Sea can change that. In sports however, we are never as happy as when we can beat the Swedes. In fact we do not really care if we lose against everyone else, as long as we beat the Swedes.

I am a little puzzled to hear about the supposed crowd of Swedes in telesales, I have never come across any. They are very prominent in restaurants and bars and shops though, not because the Norwegians do not want those jobs, but because the Swedes (sadly for us) have a better reputation when it comes to work ethic and customer service. They are simply more popular :-)

Svorsk, as we use it, is when you speak your mother tongue (either Swedish or Norwegian) and you mix words from the other language into it in order to facilitate understanding. It is generally frowned upon.

When it comes to amazing polyglots, I agree that Ricard is uncommonly good, and so is Luca.

As to s_allard's question whether we do not mind Swedes speaking Swedish in Norway, I can't say that we do. Most of us are used to the language, they have a very good reputation in Norway, and like tractor said, we hardly even consider them foreigners.

We have a news channel which is on 24/7 and which is unable to fill their time with Norwegian news only, so particularly late at night, they fill their slots with Swedish and English radio. I have sometimes wondered how many countries, where people would be perfectly ok with having two languages on the news channel which were not official languages of the country. I have never heard anyone complain about that though, and I have never ever heard anyone complain about Swedish (or English)being spoken by personnel in the restaurants or in the bars.

I can only remember one time when I have been a little annoyed, and that was in a bakery at the airport, when I wanted a particular product, and the Swedish assistant did not understand the word, even if I repeated it three times in case it was just a matter of pronunciation, or that I did not speak loud enough. If you work at a place where you sell 50 products, and you need to learn the Norwegian word for two of them, I felt it was not too much of an effort for her to do that. I ended up having to use the Swedish/French term for it, which felt a bit awkward.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 25 October 2013 at 12:31am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 159 of 299
25 October 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a polyglot who speaks 7 or 8 languages really well? Most of the guys on youtube seem to excel in 2 or 3 and speak the rest in broken fashion.

I think about this as well. Certainly it's possible to develop a "fluent" command of the basics in a number of languages, as we can see from YouTube, but I wonder how many languages those people would consider themselves to have a "deep" proficiency in (e.g. rich and idiomatic active vocabulary, using the more pitfall-prone bits of the grammar correctly the great majority of the time, able to speak about both quotidian and more abstract topics with ease).

Edited by tastyonions on 25 October 2013 at 12:51am

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 160 of 299
25 October 2013 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
In sports however, we are never as happy as when we can beat the Swedes. In fact we do not really care if we lose against everyone else, as long as we beat the Swedes.

Haha, and it's the same way here, though depending on the sport. In skiing, we need to beat the Norwegians and in ice hockey we need to beat the Finns.

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version