Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 209 of 299
28 October 2013 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Scandinavians do adapt consciously. Whenever I speak to Cristina for example, I speak
Swedish, and she definitely does not speak pure Norwegian.

I most certainly do!!! At times I "cross over" and attempt to speak Swedish, but I then go the full hog, whith Swedish phonology and all - I have probably done that with you, I do not remember. I would however never speak Svorsk. At the very most I will slow down, articulate better, or use more simple sentences, but when I speak Norwegian, I speak Norwegian, as pure as it comes - regardless of whether I speak with a Dane, a Swede or a foreigner.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 210 of 299
28 October 2013 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
You probably spoke more Swedish then, haha. To me it sounded like Swedish and not
Norwegian.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 211 of 299
28 October 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
You probably spoke more Swedish then, haha. To me it sounded like Swedish and not
Norwegian.

Then that was probably what I attempted to speak :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 212 of 299
28 October 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
It was a while back. And my Swedish was worse. You are forgiven :P Maybe speak Norwegian
next time :P

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5210 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 213 of 299
28 October 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
oziohume wrote:
I think I agree with Chung in that there exist for me two separate questions.
I admit that this conventions are for me important, because languages are about people,
and communication. This would mean for me that there exist separate denominations for a
language such as the former Yugoslavian ones.
However, although they may be separate languages, that does not mean that I would accept
them in a Curriculum Vitae as separate languages, unless it was specifically required.
Therefore someone speaking Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin for me wouldn't
apply as a polyglot.

I think this post sums up the debate quite well. I especially like the point about listing the languages in a CV
"unless specifically required." I would think that users would know how to deal with the politics of language when
applying for jobs.

Back to Scandinavia where I find it fascinating that there seems to be an easy flow of people between languages
and dialects. When I was in Norway I remember noticining on a ship that the writing on signs seemed a bit
different from what I had seen elsewhere. Someone then explained to me that it was Nynorsk and a bit of the
history. I marveled at the fact that such a sparsely populated country could have two variants of the official
language in addition
to all the regional dialects that seem to be thriving.

Edit: "tiny county" was corrected to "sparsely populated country"

Edited by s_allard on 28 October 2013 at 3:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 214 of 299
28 October 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Ugh, it's not a county and it's not so tiny.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 215 of 299
28 October 2013 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
As a very remote observer who has never heard any of these languages,
I tend to rely on official or administrative
recognition. If the EU, the UN, the United States government, etc. all recognize four
languages, then four languages
exist.

Thing is that you can't rely on political documents. Better to get to know what the
languages are like and gain some educational value out of it in the process.

Norway isn't tiny, just not densely populated.

Edited by tarvos on 28 October 2013 at 2:47pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 216 of 299
28 October 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Back to Scandinavia where I find it fascinating that there seems to be an easy flow of people between languages
and dialects. When I was in Norway I remember noticining on a ship that the writing on signs seemed a bit
different from what I had seen elsewhere. Someone then explained to me that it was Nynorsk and a bit of the
history. I marveled at the fact that such a tiny county could have two variants of the official language in addition
to all the regional dialects that seem to be thriving.

I guess technically we have 5:-) In Norwegian we have the two variants of Bokmål and Nynorsk (plus half a million of spoken dialects) and then in some counties we have Sami as official language, and within Sami there are three differents variants.

We just like to be difficult :-)

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version