Joined 4408 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 17 of 299
10 October 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I think we grossly underestimate how much effort it takes to
learn a language properly. Any language. A Norwegian actor has just spent 6 years in Denmark, and only
now is he remotely able to sound like a native. And that is a language which is extremely close.

But you don't need to sound like a native in order to speak a language to a high level. In fact few people will
reach this stage. If there is some mutual comprehension between a pair of languages then it must be an
easier ride to learn one of them if you already speak the other. But I also agree with emk, who makes the
point that closing the gap between speaking a language well and speaking it perfectly is a huge effort in any
language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4425 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 18 of 299
10 October 2013 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
I am annoyed by what has become of the word polyglot. It's become yet another pigeonhole box for people to cram themselves in there and for other people to complain that they don't deserve to go in that box and blah blah blah. Even if I spoke all the languages in the World I would probably not call myself a polyglot just out of spite due to the amount of controversy that seems to surround the word nowadays. This has already happened with "fluent".

I couldn't agree more. I've lost count of how many discussions there have been around the word polyglot on this forum just in the last year. Let's face it, there will always be disagreement about members here as to what it really means or should mean, so let those who wish call themselves a polyglot. I prefer not to.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 19 of 299
10 October 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
If people want to call me a polyglot, then I'll indulge them. But it's just a name and I
don't feel particularly more talented than anyone else. I make just as egregious mistakes
as everyone else.

The only thing that really grates on my nerves is people saying but you know
French/Russian/Basque/Navajo/Chuvash/Greenlandic/whatever. And I'm like. Only to a
certain extent. The fact I can talk French doesn't mean I understand literature (ok, here
I probably might have a shot)... but in other languages it doesn't. You don't know or not
know a language. You have a spectrum and anywhere in between can be useful at the right
moments.

Edited by tarvos on 10 October 2013 at 1:56pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4614 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 20 of 299
10 October 2013 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
In fact the expression "to learn a language" is so problematic, that I try to avoid it.
It is used by some people (typically not HTLAL members) as though it were a one-off
process like learning to drive a car or ride a bike (and even those are really on-going
processes...not the "technical" side, but the dealing with traffic, etc).

"To study a language" may sound a bit precious, but it's a bit more accurate, I
feel.
6 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 21 of 299
11 October 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Study implies to me I am working through details and reading grammar books all day. Not
entirely accurate.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4695 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 22 of 299
11 October 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Study implies to me I am working through details and reading grammar books all day. Not
entirely accurate.

*Glances over at the list of languages listed under "Studies" for Tarvos.* ;)

I have to agree with montmorency on this: "learning" usually implies some sort of specific attainment, while "studying" is just the process of learning. If I say, "I learned German in high school", that would mean I still "know" it. If I say, "I studied German in high school", most people would take that to mean that it's pretty rusty at best (depending on how old I am!)

Tarvos is right that to most people study implies sitting at a desk burning the midnight oil, poring over arcane texts and the like. However, that comes from a traditional point of view that "activities" are somehow less valuable. Education is changing these days, and active methods are being proven to be effective and valuable. Hopefully as more people experience the value of active learning, they will realize that studying Hindi (for example) includes reading comics, watching films, listening to music, skyping people, etc, etc.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4408 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 23 of 299
11 October 2013 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
I've seen quite a few of these polyglot videos where they demonstrate their ability in a bunch of languages.
The only one I can assess (besides English) is German. I often find that their level - while good - isn't exactly
earth shattering. I admit I often get a little buzz, hey I speak this language better than a polyglot. Of course
I'm fully aware that in a game of poker, four jacks will always beat two kings.
4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4614 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 24 of 299
11 October 2013 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Fair enough comments....I didn't want to start an argument about "learn" versus "study".
Interesting that we seem to need to refine the language that we use in order to talk
about language "acquisition" (yet another imperfect word, probably).

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version