Triglot
Canada
Joined 5215 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 289 of 299
06 November 2013 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
I certainly agree with everything that has been said so far about the real value of language tests and
certifications. Many people don't need them, and they don't reflect current reality. Fine, but I read on the website
of Humboldt Universitat :

"A certificate at least at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Europäischer
Referenzrahmen für Sprachen) is required for a pre-university course. Documentation merely certifying
attendance of German courses or lessons is not sufficient.

Applicants for a degree course need to have German language skills at level C1 of the Common European
Framework of Reference for Languages, or a TestDaF certificate with a TDN 3 score in all four parts of the test."

I didn't invent this. Now, some people may say, "Who cares about Humboldt Universitat? I don't want to go there
anyhow." Well, no test. You save time and money. But suppose you do want to attend this university, what do
you do? My suggestion is that you better start studying for the exams. A ten-minute conversation over Skype
isn't going to cut it. It all depends on what you want to do.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 290 of 299
06 November 2013 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Good for the Humboldt Universität. I already have a degree.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 291 of 299
06 November 2013 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
For me the more important part here is "Documentation merely certifying
attendance of German courses or lessons is not sufficient." Always great to see recognition for the fact that you can attend classes for 10 years and still know next to nothing.
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5215 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 292 of 299
06 November 2013 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
Wasn't it the great Mark Twain who said: “It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and
remove all doubt”?

Let's move on. As has already been pointed out, most people here at HTLAL have no compelling need to have
their language proficiency certified. This does not negate the observation that many other people, especially for
university entrance, do need this certification.

What is interesting is that some people do actually pursue certification without a professional necessity. Why
would anyone go through all the trouble and expense of sitting a CEFR exam for no special reason? In my
conversations with fellow candidates a few reasons emerged:

1. The desire to benchmark their linguistic achievements. Some people feel that the piece of paper says
something about all the effort they have put into their pursuit.

2, Studying for the exam forces the candidate to practice and drill subjects that they would have normally
neglected. This particularly important for points of grammar that are a bit more sophisticated.

3. Preparing for the exam demands that the candidat adopt a systematic study plan that includes considerable
reading, listening and very often working with a tutor. Most people say that this gives a boost to their language
skills.

All in all, it seems that for these people passing an exam is a sign of personal triumph more than anything else.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 293 of 299
06 November 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Great quote. Applies to both of us.

I'm actually one of these people, as I didn't need the Finnish certificate for anything, and I still don't need it. I was kicked out of uni and wanted to have a legitimate reason to go to Finland. I also wanted this to be out of the way in case I ever want to live or work in Finland (and by now I've decided that I do). It's also great to have a confirmation for something that I've never taken classes for, and it's had unexpected benefits as I used it to show that I can learn independently.

I never said certificates should be abolished, but instead of your "deal with it" attitude it's more productive to point out that some universities are just lazy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 294 of 299
06 November 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
I would probably sit a few exams if I wanted to move somewhere permanently, or obtain a
job in a certain area. I hope to be able to do Swedex in 2014 to obtain a certificate
that I speak B2 Swedish (so I can spend 6 months or a year in Sweden at some point).

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4613 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 295 of 299
06 November 2013 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps not the Humboldt, but I think at least some German univerities will accept your
application, conditional on passing the TestDAF prior to the start of the degree
course.

TestDaf might possibly be a more attractive option since it is presumably aimed more
specifically at the requirements of someone studying at degree level in Germany.

I also note that TDN 3 corresponds to "only" CEFR level B2, so it would seem to be an
easier route to university degree study than a CEFR certification.

And I think some universities offer courses aimed to get people through the TestDAf
certificate which they could follow in the period prior to the start of their degree
course. Quite a good introduction to university life in Germany, I would have thought.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 296 of 299
19 December 2013 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
Chung wrote:
To me the only time the phrase applies is when I see claims of multilingualism by virtue of competency in what are effectively variants of something pluricentric (I may harp on this example for some people, but I'll never get out of my head that time when I got a candidate's resume for a job indicating multilingualism via fluency in English, Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian. Bilingualism yes, but that candidate came upon the wrong guy to pull that stunt).

To be fair, plenty of interviewers wouldn't know whether these countries spoke the same or different languages, and so it's basically a way of saying, "If you hire me, these are the countries I can communicate with" which is what it's really about in a job application.

Or the quadrilingual who can speak Canadian, Australian, English and American.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version