299 messages over 38 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 37 38 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 57 of 299
12 October 2013 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Futurianus, I think the better way to get some support would be to write a post that
doesn't require me to open a dictionary, check how many hours I have left before bedtime,
and doesn't require me to scroll for three light years (oh wait, it measures distance,
not time!) before I get to the end of it.
13 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 58 of 299
16 October 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
I read all of Futurianus' long message, and basically I can see the point in getting acquinted with a number of language families as a logical sequel to the urge to learn a number of related languages -diversification taken one level further. The problem is that diversification comes at a price: learning three or four Romance languages fairly well and using them as a foundation for further work with the rest of that family is more 'economical' than learning one language from each of four unrelated language families, and the four single languages might not even give you the sense of bird eye's view which some degree of familiarity wih all the main languages in one family can give you. On the other hand you will learn more about the possible sspan of possible language systems from the four languages... with just one or two families you may get a too limited perspective on the possible features in human language, but to contravene I try to have at least some theoretical knowledge about a number of exotic languages, even though I so far haven't got any intention of learning them properly.

On important thing that comes to my mind when reading this thread is the difference between active and passive skills. It would be ridiculuous to put 27 flavours of English on your scoreboard just because you can understand them. But learning to speak those dialects consistently without mixing them up is quite another matter. I have worked with Scots and Low German, which technically are fullblow languages but in practice function as dialects of English esp.(high) German. And yes, it is easier those two than to learn for instance English and Navaho and Xhosa, but it is definitely not something you just do in a weekend. And in some functions, like call centers or journalism or spying you may actually have to be able to stick to one language variant at a time without interference from other known variants - although it normally doesn't really matter whether you are 100% consistent.

Apart from that I don't want to lose the word "polyglot" just because some ask to much, others too little from possible contenders. I prefer not to stipulate a fixed number of languages, partly because of the problems with degrees of relatedness and other demarcation problems, partly because there isn't some simple principle for the necesary skill levels. But somewhere along the line you do become a polyglot if you keep adding languages, whether you accept the word or not.

Edited by Iversen on 17 October 2013 at 10:40am

8 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 59 of 299
16 October 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Really, this is all a foofaraw. What is there really to discuss? A polyglot is a person who speaks four or more
languages by most standards around here. And then there are the hyperglots, but that's another story. I know, of
course, that certain languages are closely related and others are very distant, but in my opinion, if a language is
recognized as such, then it is a language. Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are separate but closely related
languages.

I have no doubt that learning distant languages is harder than a related language but a related language still counts
as a language and requires a lot of work. A person who speaks French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese well is an
accomplished polyglot in my opinion. Or I am to be convinced that these are dialectal variations of the same
language and if you know one you basically know the other. If that were only true.

Edited by s_allard on 16 October 2013 at 9:01pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 60 of 299
16 October 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
So Serbian, Montenegrin, Croatian and Bosnian are not the same to you?
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 61 of 299
16 October 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
So Serbian, Montenegrin, Croatian and Bosnian are not the same to you?

This is actually an interesting question. What we are seeing here is a an excellent example of how what was
essentially a common language of a political entity- Yugoslavia - is diverging into distinct national languages
with the breakup of the political entity.   

Here is a great article on the subject.

Here is an excerpt:

"With the breakup of the Federation, in search of additional indicators of independent and separate national
identities, language became a political instrument in virtually all of the new republics. With a boom of
neologisms in Croatia, an additional emphasis on Turkisms in the Muslim parts of Bosnia and a privileged
position of the Cyrillic script in Serb inhabited parts of the new states, every state and entity showed a
'nationalization' of the language. The language in Bosnia started developing independently after Bosnia and
Herzegovina declared independence in 1992. The independent development of the language in Montenegro
became a topic among some Montenegrin academics in the 1990s.

It should be noted that the Serbian and Bosnian language standards tend to be inclusive, i.e. to accept a wider
range of idioms and to use loan-words, whereas the Croatian language policy is more purist[4] and prefers
neologisms[5] to loan-words, as well as the re-use of neglected older words.[6] Yet there is criticism of the
puristic language policy even in Croatia. These approaches are, again, due to the different cultural, historical and
political development of the three variants and the societies they are found in."

To answer the original question: I believe that there are four distinct national languages that are very closely
related. With time they may grow even further apart as they emphasize their national characteristics.

Is this any different from what happened in Scandinavia over a hundred years ago? The fact that there is
considerable mutual intelligibility between the Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian or Norwegian, Swedish and Danish
does not mean that they are not distinct languages.

But I think the subtext of the question here is that someone who says that they speak Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian
and a fourth language is not a real polyglot like someone who speaks French, Navaho, Mandarin and Hindi. I
disagree; they are both polyglots but with different languages and differing investments of time and work.

Edited by s_allard on 17 October 2013 at 7:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 62 of 299
16 October 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
The problem of this approach is that it takes things at face value and falling for nomenclature. Basically you're a polyglot by virtue of the number of entities listed under "languages" regardless of the mutual intelligibility or overlap of those entities. In that case, if you were my prospective employer, you should have no problem with my listing half a dozen variants of English in which I have full passive and/or active command.

Would you consider someone listing Metropolitan French, Belgian French, Québec French and Louisiana French to be a polyglot? Just because each different or distinct doesn't mean that we can only think of them as different languages.

The situation of the Scandinavian languages is quite different from what's observed now with BCMS/SC.

Danish, Norwegian and Swedish effectively take as their respective bases distinct areas/points on a dialectal continuum of North Germanic. The intelligibility while high, is exceeded by what one encounters with BCMS/SC (especially in the latter's standard guises).

BCMS/SC as I've noted above draw on the same dialect for standardization despite the fact that Serbian comes with two subvariants, and that native speakers of BCMS/SC sit on the Southern Slavonic dialectal continuum where the non-standard forms (i.e. "dialects" used by one ethnic group (e.g. Prizen-Timok and Sumadijan by Serbs) differ more than the standards passed off as languages in "Bosnian", "Croatian", "Montenegrin", "Serbian"

In short the difference is that DNS took different points of a dialectal continuum as starting points even though those starting points are close to begin with. Those advocating separate languages for BCMS/SC face an inconvenient fact that the modern codifications took the same subdialect (although there are calls from among some each of Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin and Serbian linguists to magnify or incoporate non-standard elements perceived as exclusive to the speech of their respective ethnic groups to make the standards diverge more and align better with the clear ethnic/political division).
9 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 63 of 299
17 October 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
The problem of this approach is that it takes things at face value and falling for nomenclature.
Basically you're a polyglot by virtue of the number of entities listed under "languages" regardless of the mutual
intelligibility or overlap of those entities. In that case, if you were my prospective employer, you should have no
problem with my listing half a dozen variants of English in which I have full passive and/or active command.

Would you consider someone listing Metropolitan French, Belgian French, Québec French and Louisiana French to
be a polyglot? Just because each different or distinct doesn't mean that we can only think of them as different
languages.

The situation of the Scandinavian languages is quite different from what's observed now with BCMS/SC.

Danish, Norwegian and Swedish effectively take as their respective bases distinct areas/points on a dialectal
continuum of North Germanic. The intelligibility while high, is exceeded by what one encounters with BCMS/SC
(especially in the latter's standard guises).

BCMS/SC as I've noted above draw on the
ialect">same dialect for standardization despite the fact that Serbian comes with two subvariants, and that
native speakers of BCMS/SC sit on the Southern Slavonic dialectal continuum where the non-standard forms (i.e.
"dialects" used by one ethnic group (e.g. Prizen-Timok and Sumadijan by Serbs) differ more than the standards
passed off as languages in "Bosnian", "Croatian", "Montenegrin", "Serbian"

In short the difference is that DNS took different points of a dialectal continuum as starting points even though
those starting points are close to begin with. Those advocating separate languages for BCMS/SC face an
inconvenient fact that the modern codifications took the same subdialect (although there are calls from among
some each of Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin and Serbian linguists to magnify or incoporate non-standard
elements perceived as exclusive to the speech of their respective ethnic groups to make the standards diverge
more and align better with the clear ethnic/political division).

There are two separate issues.

1. Is a language defined as a linguistic expression of geographic and political unit?
2. Is a language defined by a certain threshold of mutual intelligibility?

I favour the first definition. because it recognizes the fact that what we call a language is simply an expression of
national identity by the political domination of a certain historical dialect. Therefore the question isn't whether
Serbian, Croation, Bosnian and Montenegrin are 70%, 80% or 90% mutually intelligible. The question is whether
they are recognized as distinct national languages.

We speak of Danish, Norwegian and Swedish as distinct languages because they are national languages. We don't
say Danish North Germanic, Norwegian North Germanic and Swedish North Germanic.

We speak of British English, American English, Canadian, Australian English, Indian English, Jamaican English, etc
because they are considered national variants of the same language regardless of the degree of intelligibility or
lack thereof.

Let's say that sometime in the future the Americans and the Australians pass a law declaring American and
Australian the official languages of their respective countries. For me, we would have separate
languages and a person could henceforth say that they speak British English, American and Australian.

Similarly, the day Québec comes an independent nation and declare le québécois the national language, then we
will have two distinct languages that are mutually very intelligible.

So, if Bosnian is not a distinct national language, then what is it? Should we call it Bosnian Serbo-Croatian? I
don't think the Bosnians would be too happy with that. The question isn't whether the languages are mutually
intelligible or not, it's whether they are recognized as separate national entities.

Edited by s_allard on 17 October 2013 at 7:47am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 64 of 299
17 October 2013 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
As I said earlier, the fundamental issue here is, as the OP pointed out, some people make a distinction between
"real" or what I would call the "hard" polyglots who speak very divergent languages and "fake" or"soft" polyglots
who speak related languages.

There is no doubt that certain language combinations are harder than others from a purely linguistic perspective.
And speakers of those combinations should be admired for their accomplishments.

But when you incorporate culture, history and accent, then the question of intelligibility becomes much more
complex. I could see someone saying that they speak American English and British English as separate languages
because they can be quite different. How many people can speak with both a Boston and a London accent and
have both sets of cultural references?

An argument could be made for saying that a person who speaks perfect colloquial Jamaican English and
colloquial British English is bilingual because the varieties are quite far apart.

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version