Australia
Joined 4314 days ago

45 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 5
10 October 2013 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Hi there!

I'm just wondering if anyone uses the Leitner method with physical flash cards? I have a set of old Russian vocab cards with 1000 words coming via mail. I'd like to set up the Leitner method to use them 15-20 minutes each day, but I'm wondering since I'm going to be using them very frequently, how I should arrange them exactly. If anyone has any experience with this method or a similar, effective method to use with physical flash cards, please post your experiences here!

Although I'm 20 and pretty computer literate, and spend a lot of my time on the computer each day, I really prefer tangible methods of learning. Once I've mastered the deck of 1000 words I can easily just move onto Anki.

Cheers!
2 persons have voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4498 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 2 of 5
10 October 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
I don't see any advantage over using Anki, the Leitner method seems to be more or less a manual version of SRS.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5331 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 5
10 October 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
For long-term use, I recommend Anki, too. You can enter data on a laptop, and then sync everything to a smartphone for review. As for price, you can get a used smartphone or iPod for pretty cheap, and if you sync over wifi, you don't need a data plan. Anki also supports picture cards.

That said, let's assume you want to use your paper cards for now. There's a section on Wikipedia which explains the Leitner system in some detail. They have two versions of the system, one with three boxes, and one with twelve decks of cards. Personally, I'd go with the three-box system; it has better exponential spacing and it's a lot simpler. Just don't study box 2 and box 3 on the same day. If you have too many cards for the three-box system, just set up boxes 2a, 2b, 3a and 3b when it becomes necessary.

Simplicity is a virtue here: you're not going to affect your retention too much if you juggle cards a few days either way.
3 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5359 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 4 of 5
10 October 2013 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
They have two versions of the system, one with three boxes, and one with
twelve decks of cards. Personally, I'd go with the three-box system; it has better
exponential spacing and it's a lot simpler.

The 12 decks with 5 levels method sounds so mind bogglingly complicated, I'm tempted to
try it. I suppose it will all work out, as long as you don't forget where you are.

Zerzura
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4314 days ago

45 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 5
10 October 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
LaughingChimp wrote:
I don't see any advantage over using Anki, the Leitner method seems to be more or less a manual version of SRS.

I prefer cards because I can pick them up with my hands - this is an aspect that is important to me. I've grown up with technology, and I can't read books on tablets or computers. There's something about it that is distracting, and not right for me.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version