Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 1 of 18
10 October 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
An eshop selling books in Italian (it is an Italian seller), French, English, German and Spanish. And they have free standard shipping to all the countries of the world! But of course, you can pay for other delivery methods and get your package earlier.

I am now waiting for the two books I ordered.

They have some dvds as well but I haven't looked at those yet. And right now, they have a 25% sale on Italian comic books by a publisher I don't know (yet).

I'll let you know in 8-10 days whether my books arived ok.
8 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 18
10 October 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Quite a lot of the books I consider buying or actually order from Abebooks come from
there. I think they are good, but books can take their time to arrive (including one I
have on order from them via AB right now). In fact I seem to have been pretty unlucky
with my book orders lately, in that respect.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 3 of 18
10 October 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
I found it through abebooks but I usually consider it the surest and shortest way to get things directly from the original seller (unless someone else has a better offer, of course)

seldnar
United States
Joined 6892 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 4 of 18
11 October 2013 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
Deastore is great. But, as montmorency mentions, it can take some time to get the books.
I've been ordering from them for a year now and, in general, it takes 15 days from the
time I order to book until it ships. Then it takes two to four weeks to arrive.
Sometimes its much faster, but not often.

But I don't want to sound as if I'm complaining; I am a big fan of the store as I can get
almost any French book I want (even museum exhibition catalogs) much less expensively
than if I had used Amazon or Fnac or Decitre.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 5 of 18
11 October 2013 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
Great, seldnar. Do you have any experience with sending a demand email? I would like a few of books they probably used to have (they still have one volume of something in paperback and all in hardcover and I want all paperbacks, just a recent example). Are they in general open to restocking with things people ask for?

I think I made a mistake when I ordered two books at once. They wait for both to arrive to them to be shipped together. Making two separate purchases wouldn't be any more expensive.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5105 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 6 of 18
11 October 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I have used this store and it can be useful, however as others have commented they take a good while to send the books, and in my experience at least, they do not pack them all that well. It is nonetheless an excellent resource if you want just one book or if it is not available elsewhere.

For books in German I very much prefer The Book Depository. Their prices are unbeatable and their inventory system is very reliable; all the books they offer they ship right away. One must search via ISBN however as otherwise finding books can be difficult.

In any case it is great that there are vendors like Deastore with an international and multilingual outlook.
3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 7 of 18
11 October 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Thus far I've mostly gotten books I want in ebook form, or used via amazon. By far the most common 3rd party amazon vendor I've used, especially for German books, has been The Book Depository that Juan mentioned. If you're looking for something specific, you can find it via an amazon search, and usually they are the only vendor or the cheapest vendor that pops up.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 8 of 18
11 October 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Well, the book depository doesn't have a lot of books in French, however German is likely to be a different case. I had looked for a few and failed (in French). But they have great textbooks in English for very good prices. (Guyton's physiology is on the way :-) )

Amazon is great as long as you live in the country where there is a "home" amazon. But some, especially the French one, have outrageous shipping fees. Really, how can they ask for the same money here, like 800 km from France, as to Japan or Venezuela. Therefore I prefer to pay better, non discriminatory vendors whenever possible. I don't mind to pay realonable delivery fee when I really want something. But I am not going to support my own discrimination.

Ebooks are great but somehow even more restricted. With a paper book, noone can tell you "we just don't ship to another region".

Now I only need French dvds with reasonable delivery fees. Any ideas? Some will be at deastore, especially some dubbings. But experimental searches for originally French tv series showed nothing.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version