United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 17 of 46
11 October 2013 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
@PeterMollenburg:

Slight variations on emk's book theme (depending on what suits your learning style, or
just as something else to try)

-(If not already mentioned): - graded readers ... you could think of these as native
material made easier for the learner with limited vocabulary. With luck, you may find
them in a library.

- parallel text (of a book of the kind that emk refers to). But you may have to buy
this.

Depending partly on how well it's laid out, the latter could help to keep the flow
slightl.y better than even a pop-up dictionary, plus you only have one translation to
worry about (not secondary meanings that you have to decide which is most appropriate).
The pefectionist in you might want to know every possible meaning of that word,
but I'd try to resist that temptation, in the interests of keeping up the flow. You can
always go back later when you've finished the book (with a well-earned feeling of
satisfaction of course) and look up the more obscure meanings of the more obscure
words. :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 18 of 46
12 October 2013 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Mind you I can't put them down now, simply coz I don't want
to. I need to do my thing,

Why did you start such a thread at all? You do it all wrong and will stay with it. Fine. No need to tell anybody
about it. Why should anybody care?

I was probably hoping for praise with my methods, but I did not know what the responses would be like. If I
knew the answers why would I ask. Giving advice does not mean it's obligatory to take that advice. I was
really looking for appraisal of my methods not specifically asking for alternative/better methods, mind u I was
definitely allowing for advice and definitely wanting it, but like I said I am not obliged to take it. Nevertheless I
will keep it all in mind and utilise some of the advice here. It's been said time and time again the BEST
method is the method that gets you there in the end. I might be stubborn but I will implement some advice on
this thread, but mainly once I get through the courses (which I enjoy and cost me a fortune). I'm slightly
offended by the abrupt nature of your comments, but at the same time they are perfectly logical queries.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 19 of 46
12 October 2013 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

You know I thought courses were how most ppl on here got to high levels of proficiency in their chosen
languages. Dead wrong it appears.

I didn't use any programs at all when I started learning Spanish. Honestly, until I started reading HTLAL I wasn't
even aware that most of the programs used by members even existed! The closest that I came to a "course" was
Destinos, the Spanish equivalent of French in Action. I didn't have any of the additional material, but just
watching the show (about 3 or 4 episodes per week) helped me enormously.

I started learning Spanish at the end of May. My current level is somewhere around a B2, and my goal is to reach
a very solid C1 by spring.

I'm not against programs. In fact, I'll almost certainly be using one to get started with Tagalog next year. But I
don't think that they're the only - or even the best - way to learn.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 20 of 46
12 October 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

I was probably hoping for praise with my methods, but I did not know what the responses would be like. If I knew the answers why would I ask. Giving advice does not mean it's obligatory to take that advice.

Praise your methods?? I see only one method: methodical use of a schedule. Some people want to learn, others want to have a schedule.
Or do you mean your five beginner courses/methods? I think ten might be better, so no praise there, either, sorry.
Asking for advice implies that one is open for suggestions. You prefer to insist on your deficiencies.

3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 21 of 46
13 October 2013 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

- During your hour per day, read as best you can. Use your pop-up dictionary, or just mark words to look up
later. If something's too hard, skip it, or look it up in an English translation. You don't need perfect
understanding, just make an honest effort at least part of the time. :-)

At first, if you've never done this before, it will be a nasty shock, and you'll probably think, "Wow, I can't deal
with real French at all." But after 10 hours, you'll have made some pretty decent progress, and accumulated a
large list of vocabulary to learn. If you choose to keep reading for a few hundred pages, you'll find it gets a
lot easier. Of course, when you pick up your second book, it will feel hard again, and then it will get
easier as you read.

But again, only you know your strengths, weaknesses and goals, so nobody can chart your path for you. But
if you're goal is anywhere above B2, you're going to be expected to have excellent and near-effortless
comprehension of native material, and one of these easiest ways to develop that skill is to start adding native
material to your study schedule, even if it's only a little bit at first.

I will certainly do this, iI'm not sure when tho. I have MANY ebooks (audio, bilingual and normal) of which le
Petit Prince is one (I have children's books right through to adult, and as mentioned earlier a massive amount
of French magazines. Many in the ibooks section of my iphone 5. Reading (graded reading) is definitely part
of my plan, but I'm not going to start it just yet. I will add tho I do read quite a large amount of websites in
French. I surf the net a lot and I often (prob 40% of the time will try to read the information in French first, I will
aim to step this up to near 100%). I have commenced my plan. I want to reiterate 5 hours a day is my goal, i
will NOT make this every day. 3 hours is my likely average but i'll pursue it and see how I go. I'm very
determined now with the feedback on this forum to get through my courses (and i'm realising these courses
are just as important stepping stones in my personal path to my goals as the end goals despite their apparent
flaws and slow pace). Perhpas they aren't great and perhaps I should read sooner rather than later but I will
keep you posted (i'm holding myself accountable).

emk wrote:

Two more thoughts:

Assessing your level. It might also be very useful to go through the
CEFRL self-
assessment checklist
and let us know your approximate level. (The checklist is pretty conservative, so
don't grade yourself brutally.) A lot of the advice you're receiving in this thread is aimed at students between a
level of strong A2 and strong B1. If you're already at B1 on that checklist, then it's unlikely you'll make rapid
progress with your current course mix, much of which only goes up to B1. Even if you want to avoid native
materials for now, you may still want to be sure your courses are pushing you hard enough.

According to AF de Melbourne my level is definitely B1 but not B2. As per the document you provided the link
for i'm inclined to agree with that.

emk wrote:

Perfectionism and procrastination. Do be careful with your perfectionism. I've read (and experienced
first-hand) how closely perfectionism is linked to procrastination. It's all too easy to let perfectionism become
an excuse for giving up. So what I personally need is a way to temporally give up on "studying" without
actually giving up on French, and in fact I need a way to actually use French as a form of procrastination.
Native materials are great for this once you reach B1 or B2. Because who ever said, "Drat, I'm just too tired
and lazy to watch a good TV show?" Or, "I'm too lazy to waste
time browsing
stupid Internet
sites and list=PL5B0A3C5D2FC48EA0">watching page=1&xxx=0&orderby=relevance&route=word2&sp=word&word=dess in%20anim%C3%A9">videos?"

Good luck!

Very useful points. I have been trying to implement this strategy more and more. I'm getting out the flashcards
in spare 'lost time' moments on my mobile. I'm watching Yabla clips while eating breakfast. I'll definitely
increase my use of French web pages (wikipedia is great for that).

Thank you very much for your advice emk, it's much appreciated. I'm a strange individual perhaps in some
ways and perhaps many on here can't fathom why i want to soldier on through these courses. I guess we all
have our ways, but like i have said your advice and the advice of others is not falling on deaf ears by any
means. It demonstrates that my methods are not ideal. Yet they do work for me, however as I get through my
goals of finishing off these courses, and I will, I will definitely increase the percentage of native material until
it's the majority of your work. Thank you for your considerations and i will be coming back to log my progress
and refer back to some of the information everyone has provided here.

PM/Steve.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 46
13 October 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
According to AF de Melbourne my level is definitely B1 but not B2. As per the document you provided the link for i'm inclined to agree with that.

OK, lets assume you're a reasonably solid B1, then. Looking at your list of courses, here's what I see:

* French in Action: This starts out as a beginner course, obviously, and I see a lot of people using for A1 & A2. I can't figure out if anybody uses it B1 students. But as far as I can tell, it focuses heavily on travel and daily life. These are very much A2/B1 topics. You won't make it to B2 unless you start dealing with more abstract content, such as newspaper articles, essays defending a viewpoint, and conversations that involve more than just small talk and tourist stuff.

* Assimil NFWE: This is almost certainly way too easy at B1. At most, you could quickly review this course for useful idioms. But you'd get a lot more out of at least the first half of Using French, and you could even start flipping through Business French to see if you're ready.

* FSI Mastering French Level 1 (then 2). Shortly after I passed the DELF B2, I flipped through units 20–24 of FSI Basic (which should be the end of "level 2" of your course). While I found the emphasis on rare irregular verbs rather challenging, I thought the grammar in the last few lessons was just barely sufficient for B2. For example, FSI covers the subjunctive fairly late, but a typical B2 exam expects you to use the subjunctive comfortably in actual conversation (or at least fake it). Thus, I doubt that any solid B1 student would be well-served by FSI units 1–12, except maybe as review.

* Fluenz French and Hugo French. You're only in unit 2 of the first course, and you've already completed the second once before. Again, I'm not seeing a real challenge here.

So if we assume that the AF and the COE checklist are right, and you're really at B1, then I'm almost certain that your courses are too easy. You appear to be a B1 student who's dividing his time and efforts between 5 courses at roughly an A2 level. This is not a recipe for rapid progress!

You'd be better served by materials one step above your level, which would force your brain to adapt much more quickly.
5 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 23 of 46
13 October 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
   I'm very determined now with the feedback on this forum to get through my courses (and i'm realising these courses are just as important stepping stones in my personal path to my goals as the end goals despite their apparent flaws and slow pace).

Good luck, then.

(Maybe it is possible to go through the courses you had already done in the past first, as Cavesa suggested, iirc. It should make things easier and not be against the spirit of your general plan.)

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 24 of 46
19 October 2013 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

French in Action: This starts out as a beginner course, obviously, and I see a lot of people using for A1 & A2. I can't figure out if anybody uses it B1 students. But as far as I can tell, it focuses heavily on travel and daily life. These are very much A2/B1 topics. You won't make it to B2 unless you start dealing with more abstract content, such as newspaper articles, essays defending a viewpoint, and conversations that involve more than just small talk and tourist stuff.

I've checked out the latest version of the course (3rd edition), and it's a lot more advanced than most people would expect. The first part, lessons 1 to 26, cover about 5,000 words and expressions. The basic course hasn't changed, but they've updated it with numerous articles from more recent publications. If the OP has the latest edition, I would advise sticking with the course. It has about 80 hours worth of audio in addition to the television series.

My main concern with the latest edition is that it's too colloquial, and the learner might learn some very low brow expressions. In lesson 8 it has a joke from the French actor Coluche,

Coluche wrote:

Je sais compter jusqu'a dix

C'est un bonhomme qui dit a son gosse:

-Mais c'est terrible! Regarde ca! T'as quinze ans, tu vas a l'ecole et t'es incapable d'apprendre quoi que ce soit! Tu sais a peine compter, t'es nul!

Dis-moi,tu sais compter jusqu'a combien?

Je sais compter jusqu'a dix!

Tu te rends compte?

A quinze ans, tu sais compter que jusqu'a dix! Mais qu'est-ce que tu vas foutre, plus tard?

J'serai arbiter de boxe!

I really don't think a beginner should learn foutre at this stage.

Edited by DaraghM on 19 October 2013 at 4:04am

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version