Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4089 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 1 of 23
12 October 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
In the time you've been learning languages, what would you have done differently?

There's no shortage of poor methods for learning languages and bad advice that gets thrown around with assumed authority. Every
publishing house will tell you that their way is the best way, it seems. It's easy to get over-enthused over to be later
disappointed. It's very disheartening to realise that the hours you poured into a language probably count for only a fraction of
the progress you would make in a different manner of study.

That's why forums like these are so essential. To help each other out, I think it's worthwhile to focus on failures as as well
as successes. Though it's interesting to debate about the relative merits of different techniques, I think it's probably more
useful to ask which haven't worked for us, or what bad habits we wish we had avoided from the start. Which
techniques and tactics were complete failures? Why did they fail? Which techniques and tactics were mild successes, but could
have been done more effectively? What small differences add up to greatly improved learning?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 2 of 23
12 October 2013 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
I have one very bad habit: I'm constantly dropping any guides/ textbooks/ methods. Even if they're helpful.
This is so annoying that I'm not sure if it's better for me to learn language with less textbooks and selfstudy guides than German (that was a joke).
Another bad habit of, to be precise, bad circumstance is that I'm very pessimistic. It has its effect on languages learning too. I have no idea of my real English level for a loooong time during school, because my absolute unsureness in grammar lead me to one conclusion: I can only translate, but not speak of write. Soon after I finished the school with best possible mark (5/5) on English and when my pessimism wasn't holding me anymore, I improved my English quite fast, managed to transform my passive skills into active, etc. Here's the result (I finished school two years ago).
That's funny, but it seems that I'm condemned to walk that way with German. I know exactly where are my problems, but I'm not at all trying to fix them, but I keep complaining about that often. Of course, this situation wouldn't last forever and eventually it will work out, but now I'm pretty pessimistic about my German and its perspectives.
1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5189 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 3 of 23
12 October 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
Two things :
- not putting audio first. My recent experience with Say something in Welsh (and less recent experience with Michel Thomas courses) left me convinced that, even if I like textbooks and really enjoy working with written material, having a audio-only introduction (or more) to the language is unvaluable in getting used to produce/recognize the sounds.
- not trying to adapt the material to what suits me most, e. g. I find easier to remember information about the structure of the language than to remember vocabulary. The problem is that lots textbooks are build the other way round, each lesson has very few grammatical points but is loaded with wordlists.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3898 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 4 of 23
12 October 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
As a varsity student: an irregular sleeping pattern. Help me somebody!

Edit: But I suppose that isn't a tactic... :D

Edited by Gunshy on 12 October 2013 at 3:54pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 5 of 23
12 October 2013 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
akkadboy wrote:
Two things :
- not putting audio first. My recent experience with Say something in Welsh (and less
recent experience with Michel Thomas courses) left me convinced that, even if I like
textbooks and really enjoy working with written material, having a audio-only
introduction (or more) to the language is unvaluable in getting used to
produce/recognize the sounds.

Exactly! A lot of people will say, "But I'm a visual learner - I need to see it written
down!" Of course it's hard to follow an audio-only course for anyone but I think it's
worth it to stick to it to develop good speaking skills and listening comprehension. I
don't have scientific proof, but I feel like many people I studied French with would
have had much better pronunciation if they hadn't had the "interference" at the start
of seeing the words written down, forever unable to separate in their minds the English
and French phonetic systems. And for learning Irish, I just couldn't deal with the
written language at the start. Audio helped me a lot.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 23
12 October 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I think the worst habit I have is focusing too much on audio when you have a script to
get used to (Korean, Hebrew). I am probably also guilty of not enough conversation
practice in some languages. And there are some weird customs I just don't like picking
up.

I haven't noticed anything that completely failed, though, just stuff that was slower
than other stuff. Shadowing and repetitive exercises are pretty much part of that last
set.

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5392 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 7 of 23
12 October 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to agree with the importance of early exposure to audio as a launching pad. In languages where I
began with more audio I have generally had more success. That said, in many cases I transitioned from
those audio introductions in a couple of cases to native audio, reading and very limited conversation, which
has left me pretty unbalanced in a couple languages. I really should have dealt with written production much
more seriously, and from an earlier stage (this may be a personal issue, though, as even in my strongest
language I have to edit to catch stupid mistakes that I never make speaking).

Not making the transition to reading comfortably was also bad for me in some weaker languages that
subsequently lost significant ability.

L-R type stuff worked great for the receptive skills, but I may have focused too much on it at the expense of
other things.

I'll second that shadowing and substitution exercises weren't so helpful for me. That said, a grammar
overview re-written by hand was invaluable for me in some cases.

My conclusion: if I were to do everything again, I would work more with written production and push harder for
reading comprehension in different scripts, after the audio-heavy early stages that work well for me.

namsskogan
Norway
Joined 5376 days ago

18 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*
Studies: German

Message 8 of 23
12 October 2013 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
This topic has been discussed before on this forum:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=18109&PN=1&TPN=1

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version