34 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 34
15 October 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
I'll drink a cuppa with anyone here who's a cool frood and doesn't take himself overly
seriously. But if I have to Name Names, then it's going to be the lads and lasses that
have been on team MIR or Lugus with me - Cristina, Teango, Tecktight (where the hell did
you go, love?), fabriciocarraro, and so on.

I would also include the people here who study Dutch such as Hekje or Vos because let's
face it they are awesome.

And then there generally interesting people around here such as Iversen, jeff_lindqvist,
Chung, Serpent etc. who'd be cool to hang out with. Oh and Sprachprofi and Arekkusu.
4 persons have voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5418 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 34
15 October 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
@montmorency
Thanks for including me :) I'm in Valencia until Christmas, Japan for January/February, and then in the states a little and then back in Europe and most definitely going to the polyglot conference in Berlin in June. So hopefully I'll run into you there!

I'm going to try to finally meet Khatzumoto next year. Any questions you'd like me to ask him? :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6929 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 11 of 34
15 October 2013 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Chung, I've sent you a PM, but your inbox is evidently full. If you can delete some of the excess mail, I'll resend it.

Best,

daristani
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6694 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 34
15 October 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
In case the rumours are true regarding a polyglot conference in Berlin next year, I'd do my best to go there and "level up" most of my languages (including a few flirts...). Hopefully I'll see some of you there. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4038 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 34
15 October 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
I'll try to make the conference happen next year too.

Although I hope that my only redeeming quality is not the fact that I study a particular language, Chung; juos don finat Helssegis, mun hálidašin vuolat duinna juhkat.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4613 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 34
15 October 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
@montmorency
Thanks for including me :) I'm in Valencia until Christmas, Japan for January/February,
and then in the states a little and then back in Europe and most definitely going to
the polyglot conference in Berlin in June. So hopefully I'll run into you there!

I'm going to try to finally meet Khatzumoto next year. Any questions you'd like me to
ask him? :D

Hi Benny! :-) I'm not sure I could think of a sensible question to ask him. It was more
a question of gazing on in wonderment. :-) My perception of him is of an obsessive,
but in a good way. :-)

Enjoy your travels! :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 34
15 October 2013 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
I have waited a while to post in this thread, because I knew doing so would take me for ever. There are so
many people whom I would like to meet that it would probably be a lot quicker to say who I am not interested
in meeting. :-) I cannot mention every single soul, but I'll mention a few of the people who are at the top of my
list.

The people in my present and previous TAC teams, in particular:

Kerrie - who is an inspiration with all her languages, and who has basically helped me keep my sanity over
the last few months by answering my messages at all impossible hours, and who I indeed hope to see next
year in Oslo

Teango -whose sense of humour, unfailing support through thick and thin and good Russian advice always
brightens up my day, and who I consider family.

Tarvos - my second in command, whose enormous amounts of study is a constant inspiration and who
cracks me up with his dry humour - and who I also hope to see in Oslo soon

LanguageSponge - who is a wonderful person who I have exchanged countless PMs with on every possible
topic of linguistic and human nature ( miss you Jack - hope to see you active again soon and in person!)

Fabriciocarraro - my teammate of two teams who is a noble soul with an even temper and a voracious lust for
languages

Mrwarper - who has interesting posts and a wonderful sense of humour (oh wait, I have already met you -
never mind, I'd love to meet you again :-)      

Ogrim - who is basically a gentler, more polite, male version of me (we are both Norwegian and share most of
the same languages) - next Christmas in Oslo?

Emme - for whom I have been a really inefficient mentor, but who still stays with me and helps everyone with
their Italian

Ellasevia - who I was supposed to have met in Croatia this spring, and who is one of the most awesome kids
I know, both linguistically and spiritually (missing you teammate - team Ohana will live forever!!)

ReneeMona - also from team Ohana, who I actually have met, but also miss here and would like to see again

Josquin and Expugnator who are both really great at keeping up their studies of both Russian and other
interesting languages, and who help me stay on the road to mastering Russian

Embici, stelingo and Renaisancemedi from team Sparta who are very supportive and inspire me to hang on
to my dream of one day speaking Greek

Kujichagulia and Woodsei from team MIR, who are great support and inspirations in my Russian studies

Tecktight from team Sputnik who I was supposed to have met in St. Petersburg last year, but who in the end
could not make it

- and all the rest of my teammates of course :-)

And outside of my team there are - this time in alphabetical order:

Arekkusu - with some of the most interesting posts on the forum

Benny - whose language philosophy is very close to mine, and who must be one of the most inspiring people
within the language community - I went out and bought three language courses in Mandarin because of him.
All I have to do now is to open them :-)

Brun Ugle - who organised the TAC, and became a friend in the process (miss you too, girl - get back in the
saddle!)

Cavesa - who always has an interesting new angle on every topic and a kind word

Chung- who manages to stir my interest for languages way out of the beaten track, and who has contributed
so much to this community

Daristani - who in a matter of hours came up with study material for one of the more obscure languages here

Datsunking - who has an unparalleled enthusiasm for languages that could make the statues of Notre Dame
want to learn German

Emk - who always make me think "Damn, why could I not have phrased this half so well" and who must be
one of the kindest people I know - thank you for encouragement when I most needed it :-)

Espejismo - who always has a good advice on Russian usage

Fasulye - who is an inspiration and an ever supportive soul

G-bod - who sent me a nice message when I was feeling down

Iguanamon - who has an insight, an intellectual force, and an empathy like few people I know, and always a
kind word for others

Iversen - who is my hero and role model (done blushing now :-)

Jinx - who always makes me laugh, and think, and reflect,

Julie - who is the proud captain of team Viking and who is very supportive

Kanewaii - who made me finally finish reading Mme. Bovary after 30 years of trying, and whose resumés of
French film are simply awesome

Languagenerd09 - who has an open and inquisitive mind :-)

Leosmith- who I sincerely miss fighting with, and who makes me mad, and makes me laugh and who turned
out to be a surprisingly nice person when I talked to you - would love to actually meet you :-)

Liddytime - (I envy all those languages of yours - but call me for some Norwegian Skyping when you are
ready)

Mark- who I adore because he is Mark, and because he is Russian, and because he has infinite patience in
helping us out with our Russian mistakes,

Meramarina - who I miss seeing - and who has the loveliest of tones in her posts

MultiMae - who I have Skyped with, and who is a delightful person and a really impressive polyglot

Prz - who is supportive and has very interesting posts

Serpent - who might possibly be the one person on the planet who might make me watch a football match,
who is a force of nature and incredibly impressive with all her languages - she has the energy of an entire
football team!!!

Songlines - who has sent me interesting material and words of comfort when I was low

Sprachprofi - who has done wonders for this community with her 6wc and who has a really impressive
language background

S allard - who is one of the most impressive posters, that I noticed on my very first day here, and whose
points of view I always listen to, whether I agree or not.

TanyaB - I would love to pick your brain or tips on how to activate my Russian!

TixiiDon - whose soul is as beautiful as the Georgian alphabet he easily could inspire us to learn

Volte - whose posts I love, because I always learn a lot from them

And last but not least

VonPeterhof - who has very interesting, intelligent posts, and who I would love to do a language exchange
with :-)

And then there are the ones that fill me with awe, and who are of infinite inspiration who I have already
met, but would like to meet again - Richard Simcott and Luca Lampariello. Cannot meet them often enough.

Plus, obviously, anyone else who would like to meet me :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 15 October 2013 at 11:38pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

oziohume
Bilingual Hexaglot
Belgium
Joined 4523 days ago

30 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Catalan, Italian, French, German
Studies: Dutch

Message 16 of 34
15 October 2013 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Plus, obviously, anyone else who would like to meet me :-)

I would most definitely want to meet you, Solfrid Cristin. You are one of the kindest and
most insightful people in this forum.
I hope I do meet you and others here, and because of that I would definitely attend the
PolyglotFest in Berlin.
LMR

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version