Message 25 of 34
02 January 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
montmorency wrote:
sctroyenne wrote:
I'm actually kind of
surprised that there haven't been organized
regional meetups for
this forum before. Other online communities I've participated in have eventually made
that step. I've met Swift and chatted about leveling up in French to become fluent
enough
to study in France. It's nice to have online discussions but it's not quite the same as
having a lively chat in person (plus it's a nice confirmation that flesh and blood
people
like you with your same niche interests really do exist).

Well, there is now a HTLAL "Language Learning Den" Google+ Community.
It was partly, or mainly for organising hangouts for practicing one's TLs, but no
reason (I would have thought) why hangouts can't be used for general talk about
languages.

I don't have G+, is there a HTLAL Facebook group?

My point about G+ was really about the "hangouts" which one can set up between groups
of people - Skype-like audio/visual communication between groups of up to (I think) 10
people. Not perfect, but far easier and cheaper to organise frequent virtual meetings
than physical ones.

I'm not aware that Facebook offers a similar facility.

It's not difficult to set up a Google / Google+ account.
Not that I'm a shill for Google ... far from it actually, but G+ Hangouts seem like too
good a resource for language learners to ignore, especially as someone (edit: not me, I
hasten to add) from HTLAL has
already gone to the trouble of creating the HTLAL G+ Language Learning Den "community".
It's a shame that it's not used more.

Edited by montmorency on 02 January 2014 at 2:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6688 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 26 of 34
02 January 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Montmorency, it does sound very interesting. Facebook, if I am not mistaken, does not offer a similar facility. I have to think about setting up a separate Google and Google+ account (I really do not want to create a Google+ profile for my normal Google account).

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4318 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 27 of 34
02 January 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I would love to meet EMK I find his posts and attitude really inspirational.

I live in Berlin! So I hope to see some of you this year if any of you make it here. First round is on me!

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5176 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 28 of 34
02 January 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
Montmorency, it does sound very interesting. Facebook, if I am not
mistaken, does not offer a similar facility. I have to think about setting up a separate
Google and Google+ account (I really do not want to create a Google+ profile for my
normal Google account).

Just so you know, if you already have an account on YouTube or Gmail, there's a good
chance Google has already gone to the trouble of creating a Google+ account for you
unless you've been actively denying them (a kind of shady thing they did to inflate their
numbers and encourage more users). If you're ever signed in under a Google or Google-
related account, look along the top and see if you see +yourname. If you do, that's it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6688 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 29 of 34
02 January 2014 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Sctroyenne, thank you for your advice. I very much dislike the Google shady policy to inflate their numbers, which is one of the reasons I do not have a Google+ account. And indeed, I went to great lengths to avoid creating one. As I have a Gmail account and an Android phone and tablet, I can't even count how many times I had to deny them actively, and I am pretty sure one day I will end up creating an account by mistake :(. And I gave up on posting app reviews on GooglePlay when they started to require a Google+ account. I just don't want to post my reviews under the real name (yeah, could have used another e-mail to register Android devices...) and to have my main e-mail address, which I use for both work and private purposes, associated with a social network account.   
4 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 30 of 34
03 January 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Ellasevia - who I was supposed to have met in Croatia this spring, and who is one of the most awesome kids
I know, both linguistically and spiritually (missing you teammate - team Ohana will live forever!!)

Goodness, I can't believe I didn't see this until now, but thank you so much, Solfrid Cristin! You'd most definitely be very high up on the list of forum members I'd like to meet (as would ReneeMona, Teango, Sprachprofi, LanguageSponge, and TixhiiDon, to name just a few). You're like my wonderful, language-learning mother figure! I'll be in Europe again most of this coming summer, so I hope that we'll maybe be able to meet up this time!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 31 of 34
03 January 2014 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Ellasevia - who I was supposed to have met in Croatia this
spring, and who is one of the most awesome kids
I know, both linguistically and spiritually (missing you teammate - team Ohana will live forever!!)

Goodness, I can't believe I didn't see this until now, but thank you so much, Solfrid Cristin! You'd most
definitely be very high up on the list of forum members I'd like to meet (as would ReneeMona, Teango,
Sprachprofi, LanguageSponge, and TixhiiDon, to name just a few). You're like my wonderful, language-
learning mother figure! I'll be in Europe again most of this coming summer, so I hope that we'll maybe be able
to meet up this time!

That would be great - just let me know which countries, and we'll see if we could make it :-)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 34
05 January 2014 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Iversen and Chung: language nerds I could pump for info. I have the strong suspicion that, like me, they're more curious about how different languages are put together than anything else and that learning them is just a pleasant byproduct.

So true.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version