Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4409 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 25
13 October 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
I think it's fair to say that people who grow up in English-speaking countries tend not to learn other languages.
Native English speakers sometimes get a hard time about this. We all know the stereotype of the American
tourist who assumes the entire population of the world speaks English.

But is multi-lingualism really as common a some folks would have you believe? There are well over a billion
people in China, most of whom I reckon would be pretty much monolingual. Yes, there is an emerging group
of well-educated young people who study languages but they must be a tiny minority of the overall
population. The Indian subcontinent also tops the billion mark and although English is the official language,
how many peope actually speak it with any real confidence? Of course, it's possible that a lot of people know
more than one indigenous tongue, I'm not sure about this. But I assume there will be hundreds of millions of
monoglots.

By "monolingual" I mean peope who can only really function in one language. I'm not counting those who
learned language X at school and can merely trot out a few phrases. Virtually the entire continent of South
America is reliant on one local language. Other major population centres are the Arab world, Russia, East
Asia....there must be a huge number of monoglots among them.

Perhaps Africa saves the day for the linguists. Almost the entire region was colonised and the enforced
European languages seem to exist side by side with the traditional ones.

Edited by beano on 13 October 2013 at 1:54pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5195 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 2 of 25
13 October 2013 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Just some thoughts (if I can I will check and come back with stats for China) :

- a large number of Chinese citizens do not have Mandarin as their native language yet know it well enough
- do you count MSA/Arabic dialects as two different languages ?
- Hindi is the lingua franca in north India at least but I think it is not as much widespread as a native language

Edited by akkadboy on 13 October 2013 at 2:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5195 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 3 of 25
13 October 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Here are some numbers :

- 400 millions Chinese do not have Mandarin as their native language
- 60% of Indians do not have Hindi as their native language

Sure, this says nothing about the extent to which these 400 m./60% have any knowledge of Mandarin/Hindi or another language, so not all of them might be bilingual.

- 17,5% of the Canadian population are bilingual
- 80% in the USA report having English as their native language, yet 95% report speaking it well

So, what can be done with this ?
I think I agree with you that the idea that "most people in the world are at least bilingual"/"monolingualism is not the norm" might be overblowned but I would be cautious on treating the Arabic world, China and India as largely monolingual.

Edited by akkadboy on 13 October 2013 at 2:32pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Oheao
Diglot
Canada
Joined 3955 days ago

31 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 4 of 25
13 October 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
There are hundreds of millions of Chinese who can speak their native language, and
Mandarin. Also, in India many people are multilingual.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 5 of 25
13 October 2013 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
From what I know about India it seems very multilingual. Indonesia has a very large
population at over 200 million and they have local languages and an official language.
Quite a few Southeast Asian countries have English as a working language so many of
them are bilingual (or more). Throughout the Middle East there are many multinational
countries which would have more than one language in addition to colonial legacies
which have left behind English or French. Among former Soviet states, many people
would speak Russian in addition to their local language and I have found that people
who speak other languages in the Turkic family besides Turkish tend to know Turkish as
well. As you stated, Africa is very multilingual. Depending on where you go in Europe,
people can be quite multilingual. Also, depending on where you go in Central and South
America, there are strong communities of people who speak indigenous languages such as
Quechua.

And everyone likes to harp on the US for being mostly monoglot but many people forget
about its diversity. Depending on the state you're in, a fairly large portion of the
population may be bilingual in Spanish or Chinese (or many other languages) and
English. Of course, you can certainly go other places in the US and find a
stereotypical monoglot population.

So due to history and political geography I'd say that multilingualism is the norm for
a very large portion of the world's population. But monoglots aren't to be faulted for
laziness or ignorance as most multilingual people are so due to necessity - such as by
speaking a minority or immigrant language at home and learning the official language in
school (as in being taught in the language, not simply having a language class an hour
a day or a few times a week), living in close quarters with other language groups in a
multilingual state, and by having "forced" access to media of a different language
(such as non-dubbed TV in English).
5 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4559 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 6 of 25
13 October 2013 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Wikipedia's page on Multilingualism states that "[m]ultilingual speakers outnumber monolingual speakers in the world's population" and links to this site. While the share of multilinguals in the Earth's population isn't the subject of that digest, it does give some relevant bits of information, like this:
Quote:
In Papua New Guinea, a country with a population of approximately 3 million, linguists have described more than 870 languages (Summer Institute of Linguistics, 1995). Here it is common for a child to grow up speaking one local indigenous language at home, to speak another in the market place, to add Tok Pisin to her repertoire as a lingua franca, and to learn English if she continues her schooling. Analogous situations recur in many parts of the world in countries where multilingualism predominates and in which children are exposed to numerous languages as they move from their homes out into surrounding communities and eventually through the formal education system.

These parts of the world probably include South-East Asia, parts of India, the Caucasus and Sub-Saharan Africa. Your description of the situation in Africa only describes a small part of the picture: if you look at Wikipedia's list of lingua francas it lists a dozen languages in Africa that weren't the administrative language of the major colonial powers and yet are still used for inter-ethnic and inter-tribal communication, so it's not like the Europeans introduced the Africans to multilingualism.
9 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4475 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 7 of 25
13 October 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Mentioning the Chinese/Arabic situation also hints at the somewhat slippery nature of this analysis. In situations where there exists a standardized version of a language, it is usually the case that colloquial differences exist, and that they may be related to geographical factors. The only question is just how far apart is the regional vernacular from the standard. In the case of Arabic and Chinese, perhaps fairly far. Maybe a bit less so for German (except Bavarian, maybe) and Italian, but still pretty far.

But even in English, there a numerous regional variations, and just about every native speaker who speaks the standardized version speaks differently in collquial situations. In some cases this may be reflected in slight or drastic changes in accent, increased use of contractions and sounds dropping, use of a different grammatical and/or vocabulary "register," etc. The differences often are slight enough that they aren't really recognized, at least by natives, as being distinct language forms, but in some cases they may be sufficient to impede mutual intelligibility, even for natives.

I would say that someone who speaks Bavarian and Standard German speaks two languages, as does a speaker of Sicilian and Standard Italian. Does a speaker of Cockney English and "BBC News" English qualify? How about someone who speaks a distinctive Boston English among friends but can speak like a midwestern news broadcaster, too?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6369 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 8 of 25
13 October 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Amongst urban well-educated people, monolingualism is probably pretty rare outside of the Anglosphere. But there
are still a lot of poor and/or rural people who don't travel, don't have access to international media and so on. They
are likely monolingual, except in places with a large linguistic diversity, like Malaysia or Nigeria.

I suspect any statement about how common monolingualism is is mostly a statement about money and education.
And comparing a monolingual American with a monolingual Swede is just silly. English is the global language, and
learning other languages is a matter of interest for most, and necessity for very few. Whereas learning English is a
must in pretty much every country except North Korea if you want to work your way up the social ladder.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version