Triglot
Canada
Joined 4243 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 9 of 12
15 October 2013 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
There have always been immersion programs for learning languages. To get the benefits you need to have a
group of people in a social setting. If somebody has a hobby like singing, you can teach him / her to sing while
learning English. Give the person audio recordings of different singers like Hip Hop artists where there is more
spoken dialog than actual singing.

Before the Internet, people listen to audio versions of a language course. With DVDs you can still find all kinds of
movies and TV programs with captions for the hearing impaired. You learn to read the same words & phrases that
are spoken by the actors.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4438 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 10 of 12
15 October 2013 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Well, I learned most of my languages before the internet was a reality. Some I learnt in school, but others I started studying on my own the "old-fashioned" way, using teach yourself courses, correspondence courses (you "interacted" with your teachers by writing letters - not the quickest way to get an answer to your questions or your texts corrected, but it worked somehow), dictionaries and what resources were available at the university library. I also had courses with cassettes that I could listen to with my Walkman (remember those?) and I went to evening classes.

I can even say that I do not use the internet as my main source of learning today. Maybe because I am used to doing things the "old way", I still prefer to use manuals, course books and grammars. However, I use internet a lot as an additional resource for reading on-line papers, listening to music, watching videos etc.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 12
15 October 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Books, CDs, whatever. I use what is at hand. Because the internet is quick and useful I
use it. If it's not there I use something else. Not such a hard question really. If you
are in a forest with no internet coverage in China you better have some Chinese books
with you.

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4899 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 12 of 12
16 October 2013 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Without using the internet, I would use things like books (teach yourself, colloquial etc) to practice situational things.

Or I would go out to my town centre and practice speaking in languages where possible, so a big Chinese supermarket, I go in and practice saying "where is
...?" " how much?" " thank you " etc

Also, I watch films in other languages, i've watched them on numerous occasions in French, Spanish, Icelandic, Korean, Japanese and Farsi.

I then keep notebooks and write things down that I think I heard and also I use notebooks to practice writing if it's a scripted language such as Russian or
Japanese.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version