Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 25
14 October 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
How long a stay in a foreign country would you need to have, in order to bother to learn the local language?

I ask because generally I try to pick up a little of the language of a new country even if I am just going there for a couple of days. I am right now fighting hard against wanting to start on a couple of really obscure languages from countries where I might possibly spend a couple of days next year, knowing fully well that I:

a) do not have the time to learn anything significant
b) might not find any study material ( I have already looked at the biggest
bookstore in Oslo, and they had nothing)
c)need to stop spending money on language courses where I will only do the first three lessons before I forget it all again
d) will get by beautifully with the languages I know already
e) most likely will never, ever go back to those countries.

So would you do French for a weekend in Canada (French speaking part), Catalan for a few days in Barcelona, Finnish for a weekend in Helsinki and Nynorsk for a few days in Western Norway?

Oh, and in 15 minutes I am off to Estonia, but I am hoping that I will get by with Russian and English, so I have no Estonian books in my handbag :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 2 of 25
14 October 2013 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Well sometimes I cannot resist getting a course or at least an "Assimil poche" for a language I do not know if I am to visit the country for a few days. A couple of years ago I had a four-day trip to Armenia, and I bought a couple of books to get an idea of it and try to decipher the alphabet before I went. Now the books are gathering dust on my shelf.

Often though, the opposite happens. I go there, and I come back with a strong urge to add yet another language to my list. After my second trip to Croatia, I promptly bought Colloquial Croatian. After my first trip to Bulgaria, I had to fight long and hard to stop myself from forking out on yet another Assimil course. I need to keep telling myself that I will not start on another Slavic language before getting to a decent level in Russian, I have too little time as it is.

However, if I went to a country for a stay of more than three months or so, I would definitely try to learn as much as possible of the language before going, and try to work intensively on it during my stay there.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 25
14 October 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
It depends on a couple things:

- Do I have prior knowledge of the language itself? (For example, if it's Romanian,
then I might add a study boost, but I already have background)

- Do I know a related language (if I am going to Italy, then I have a boost because
French + Romanian). This will decrease the time I need to get good/get by.

- How long will I stay there? (long term - more incentive to speak, although I
generally would prefer to study even if I am going somewhere for a week or two)

- is there a linguistic situation that allows the use of a vehicular language? You
mention Barcelona, which implies Catalan, but Barcelona has almost as many Spanish
speakers. In this case I might actually prefer to learn Spanish since it would have
much the same effect BUT I would learn some Catalan words just in case. Also, Spanish
would also give me a bonus elsewhere at the same time. So it depends. If I already know
the vehicular language (for example, in Cape Verde, Portuguese is official but many
people speak Creole) then if I don't know Portuguese, I'll learn that first, but if I
already know Portuguese, then I might learn some Creole

- Do I have a long-term intention of maintaining that language? I am quite happy to
forget a language that I will use once in my life. Not so much if that language is a
part of me. If I am stuck in Mongolia for three years, then yeah, I'll bother with
Mongolian. No matter the stories people tell me.

- What situation will I be in when I go there? If I am staying at a hotel with a lover
in order to have a romantic getaway, then I will bother much less because I will be
focused on my lover. Am I stuck solo in a hostel in the middle of Siberia and
travelling long distances where I am mingling with locals? Russian it is. Both are very
valid situations and they require me to have different levels.

No matter what I do, I ALWAYS learn the polite phrases. Thank you, goodbye, how are
you, hello, etc. This is just basic courtesy. How deep I go depends on my investment
and the time I have. The longer I spend, the bigger my investment will be. As a ground
rule, a month is the minimum for me to want to get to intermediate, and more than 3
months or so (so that I would qualify as a resident more or less and not a traveller
passing through) for wanting to get really good.

And in cases where a country has multiple languages (Belgium or Switzerland is a good
example), then it pays to learn the other language of that country too, if only because
you might find yourself back there in 5 years time and realise you got the job offer of
your dreams, but it requires the OTHER official language of that country. In my case,
Belgium is the perfect example - I could stick to Dutch, but I lived in Brussels where
French is actually dominant. So knowing French does not lead you astray.

In short though, language is a tool. I will hone those tools as I need them to be
honed. Some might be a labour of love, some are most emphatically not, but you need
them, and then you need to bite the bullet and find what is beautiful for you. And I
cannot think of anything more beautiful than travelling abroad armed with the knowledge
that the local language will make you better friends and let you integrate better with
the local population when you are there.

7 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4912 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 25
14 October 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

c)need to stop spending money on language courses where I will only do the first three
lessons before I forget it all again

These would be mutually exclusive, no?

In any case, if you're just aiming to learn a little of the language, obscure or not,
why not opt for the many free resources out on the internet? You could knock worry "c"
off your list doing so.

For the couple of minor or obscure languages I've taken a look at, I've always been
surprised at how much I can find online, although it may initially take some time to
find stuff.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4971 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 5 of 25
14 October 2013 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I would only study it if staying for more than a week AND I have longer-term ambitions in that language.

If the trip is too short it will be over before you know it and you won't have the chance to use or hear phrases enough times to put them into long-term memory. With the added stress of travelling I know I would arrive back home with a blank slate and disappointment over wasted effort.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 6 of 25
14 October 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

c)need to stop spending money on language courses where I will only do the first three
lessons before I forget it all again

These would be mutually exclusive, no?

==

Not at all :-) I might not find any study material right now, but there is always the option of ordering things
through the Internet or the bookstore - and that is when it starts getting expensive.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 7 of 25
14 October 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
It is not humanly possible to learn all of the world's languages. As experienced language learners we know that we can apply our experiences in language learning to most any language and learn quite a bit in a few weeks but the effort put forth may not be worth the gain for such a short, one-off, trip. That's when learning a few phrases introducing yourself, phrases that say you don't speak X but speak W, Y and Z, some basic greetings (hello good morning, etc.), counting from one to ten, please and thank you will go a long way in most languages. Doing this won't require too much effort for an experienced language learner and will show some consideration and respect for the culture you are visiting.

For a few days, that's as far as I would go. If I were there for a few weeks I would go further... over a month and I would probably want to learn the language.

Christina, you may find Benny's related article about Polish in one hour useful advice to apply to other languages: http://www.fluentin3months.com/polish-in-1-hour/

Edited by iguanamon on 14 October 2013 at 6:40pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 8 of 25
14 October 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
It is not humanly possible to learn all of the world's languages. As experienced
language learners we know that we can apply our experiences in language learning to most any language
and learn quite a bit in a few weeks but the effort put forth may not be worth the gain for such a short, one-off,
trip. That's when learning a few phrases introducing yourself, phrases that say you don't speak X but speak
W, Y and Z, some basic greetings (hello good morning, etc.), counting from one to ten, please and thank you
will go a long way in most languages. Doing this won't require too much effort for an experienced language
learner and will show some consideration and respect for the culture you are visiting.

For a few days, that's as far as I would go. If I were there for a few weeks I would go further... over a month
and I would probably want to learn the language.

Christina, you may find Benny's related article about Polish in one hour useful advice to apply to other
languages: http://www.fluentin3months.com/polish-
in-1-hour/

Thank you, I found it very useful indeed!

I do not have any audio that I can use for any of the languages in question, but last year I met a native
speaker who sold flowers on the market in the centre of Oslo, so I guess I'll go and hunt him down. There are
always perks of living in a big city. :-)

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version