Diglot
United States
Joined 4718 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Korean*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 12
15 October 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Hi guys, I'm taking Chinese at my school right now and everything has been going well so far except for the Chinese
characters. I write each down with the correct strokes 10, 20 times but I have trouble retaining them. Any ideas,
methods or techniques on how to retain the characters that you guys found successful?

Thanks for the help.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bryos
Diglot
United States
Joined 4807 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 2 of 12
15 October 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Heisig's Remembering the Traditional Hanzi 1 and 2(or Remembering the Simplified Hanzi if you're learning simplified characters). The first book goes through the 1500 most common characters. With both books, you'll learn 3000 Chinese characters. It takes 4 months to finish both books if you go at a 25 characters-per-day pace.

Edited by Bryos on 15 October 2013 at 12:21am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5680 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 3 of 12
15 October 2013 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
I would recommend "Learning Chinese Characters" by Matthews and Matthews and "Cracking the Chinese Puzzles" by T. K. Ann.

I have also used Heisig's books, but those I've mentioned have been much more useful and inspiring.

In my opinion, the "inspiring" part is the most important one, because you'll need to adapt whatever method to your own way of learning it.

My initial pace was 10 characters per day. At this point, it's closer to 6. I'm using Anki as well, because, of course, very few, if any, people will learn all these characters only studying each one only once. Well, some of them you'll find so often, or even already know through other ways, that they almost don't require further study, like 不 or 你.

Edited by Flarioca on 15 October 2013 at 12:41am

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6092 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 4 of 12
15 October 2013 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
langtyro wrote:
Any ideas, methods or techniques on how to retain the characters that you guys found successful?

1. Find something you like to read in Chinese and read a little bit every day.
2. Get used to the idea that you are going to forget characters. Don't let it get you down. You can relearn them again, forget them again, relearn them again. They'll eventually sink in. ... until you forget them again.

3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4242 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 5 of 12
15 October 2013 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
I have a friend living in the US who wants to maintain his Chinese. We would write letters to each other twice a
year until about 10 years ago I started using Chinese input software on computer before he started typing his
letters a year ago.

Unlike English or French you can't sound the characters phonetically. To this day I still wouldn't remember some
of the characters from memory. The reality is that you have to use your characters regularly to retain them. Even
my parents who received their education in China have trouble with some characters in newspapers because you
don't use them every day.

Fortunately we have computer / online dictionaries. To type a letter I don't have to know even half the characters I
am using. As long as I know the English meaning or the Pinyin equivalent I can look up the word or phrase in an
online dictionary. Before the computer came along people used to look up characters in a dictionary by radicals &
counting # lines and then looking through the table of content to find what page the radical is listed under.
Nobody look up words the old-fashion way any more. The more you look up a word or phrase, the more you'd
remember it.

Of course writing a letter to a friend twice a year isn't enough. You have to be going to online chatrooms sending
messages to people, watching movies and TV series whether online or on DVDs. Many Chinese movies come with
character subtitles in standard Mandarin for people speaking different dialects. I can be watching a movie from
China or Singapore with simplified characters, Hong Kong or Taiwan with traditional characters as subtitles.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5663 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 6 of 12
15 October 2013 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
It also depends what you want. Do you want to write the characters or just recognizing them? Writing the characters will involve a lot more work, at least at first, but it will also make recognizing characters easier.

I really like jimbo's advice. Keep that in mind: you're going to forget characters. But also know that as you go along it will get easier to remember them.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6380 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 7 of 12
15 October 2013 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Right, remembering characters is going to become easier the more familiar with them you get. My three pieces of advice:

1: Avoid trying to memorize and retain forever every obscure character you encounter. For a while I had the urge to look up and try to memorize every character I encountered, no matter how common or useful it was. Of course, I ended up forgetting them and wasted a lot of time I could have used working on more useful stuff. At the moment I'm actually working through an Anki deck with 5000 characters and Cantonese pronunciations, but I'm already very familiar with the writing system and probably knew 2000 or more before I started. So start with the common ones and wait with the rare ones until you've got the basics down.
2: Learn radicals and parts of characters. Actually you don't need to learn them properly, at least in the beginning. You just need to get some memory hooks for them. It makes it easier to remember a character when you can recall the parts of it.
3: Use Anki or similar SRS software.
3 persons have voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4072 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 8 of 12
15 October 2013 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Any ideas,
methods or techniques on how to retain the characters that you guys found successful?

You'll find lots and lots of useful tips and a sound method on hackingchinese.com

Specifically, you could start with the article titled "Creating a powerful toolkit: Character components".

I've spent quite a lot of time writing characters over and over again, in the hope they would stick, but it has not worked for me. Learning the components and building from there has proven much more useful. For the tones, I've long resisted the "color" method and then found it quite useful too. But I suspect that every learner has to test several methods until s/he finds the method that works best. And then, when you will advance in your study of Chinese, you will probably find that the method that worked wonders in 2013 has stopped working in 2014, and you will have to change.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version