leroc
United States
Joined 4091 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 16
20 October 2013 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
I know that learning any language can open up worlds, but what languages are best to learn if you want to travel for cheap? For those with experience what are the languages that are best for those on a budget? This is factoring in airplane tickets, housing, food, public transportation and general leaving expenses. Like for instance, Cambodia is very cheap while Norway is notoriously expensive and has sky-high taxes.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 16
20 October 2013 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
You can travel cheaper anywhere if you know the local language, although in Europe the
discount will be less.
4 persons have voted this message useful

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4642 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 3 of 16
20 October 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Mexico :) and you definitely need to know Spanish to get the best out of the experience.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5155 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 16
20 October 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
For an American it, no doubt, must be Spanish. Plane tickets are cheap and many places in Latin America are very affordable. For example, in Ecuador, I stayed in a very decent Quito hotel for $9 a night and another nice place in Cuenca for $8. Cannot beat that. Full course steak dinners for $5 also. Lonely Planet publishes a book on how to travel cheap through South America (I think it is called South America on a Shoestring). Good resource for cheap Spanish learners like me.    
4 persons have voted this message useful

Fenn
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4671 days ago

51 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 16
20 October 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
This is one of the things that is stopping me committing fully to learning Russian.
Travelling to and getting visas for Russia seem like such a pain (both in cost and
effort) compared to a lot of languages.

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4831 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 6 of 16
20 October 2013 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Fenn wrote:
This is one of the things that is stopping me committing fully to learning Russian.
Travelling to and getting visas for Russia seem like such a pain (both in cost and

You don't need a visa to go to Ukraine (for up to 90 days). Lots of people there speak Russian, and it's a very
beautiful country. Just sayin'.
2 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3953 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 7 of 16
20 October 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Spanish has to give you the best bang for your buck, given that it opens up most of the countries in Central and South America, and of course Spain itself. And from what I hear, it really opens them up too, because they're not as English-friendly as other budget destinations like South East Asia or India. Obviously Chinese opens up a single huge country to explore too, and is another one where a lot of people and services will struggle to deal with an English speaker.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4402 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 8 of 16
20 October 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Fenn wrote:

Russian is widely understood in the Baltic states and they are in the EU. Many native speakers also live
there. It might also be possible get to places like Azerbijan and Moldova without a visa, as well as the
Ukraine.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version