Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3858 days ago

81 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 43
11 August 2014 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Book review: Fluent Forever by Gabriel Wyner.

Fluent Forever is one of the best books I've read on language learning. Where many language books rely solely on the experiences of the author - “I learned 37 languages, so can you!” - Gabriel Wyner has clearly done a great deal of research into the scientific literature on memory, speech perception etc. The result is that you end up learning a great method for teaching yourself a foreign language, but you also gain a basic understanding why this method works.

Wyner's method is fun yet efficient. It revolves around using spaced repetition software (anki) to learn pronunciation, spelling, word meanings and grammar. While he isn't against the use of translations altogether, Wyner argues against *memorising* translations, and provides a really clever method for memorising the meanings of words using pictures, and later monolingual definitions.

The best thing about this technique is that you create your own learning materials throughout, using sources such as dictionaries (both bilingual and monolingual), google images, grammar textbooks and your own writing (corrected by native speakers via online language learning communities such as lang8.com). This means that you are not reliant on the content of a particular language course, but can easily customise your practice to learn areas of vocabulary or grammatical forms that particularly interest you.

The book is supported by a fantastic set of resources and articles at Fluent-Forever.com. Gabriel Wyner has also recorded a great video seminar series for Creative Live, which is well worth buying if you have $99 to spare.
1 person has voted this message useful

samfrances
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3858 days ago

81 posts - 110 votes 

Message 42 of 43
02 February 2015 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
It's a long time since I've posted here. Suffice to say, I didn't achieve my goal. I made a lot of progress though, and I'm still working on my Spanish, if not quite as manically as before.

I'll start a new logbook once I've decided what my next goal will be. Until then, it's goodbye for now.
2 persons have voted this message useful

samfrances
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3858 days ago

81 posts - 110 votes 

Message 43 of 43
22 July 2015 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Since I've been accidentally locked out of the site for a number of months, I've been continuing my log here:

http://www.fluentin3months.com/forum/my-language-mission/spa nish-b2c1-by-june-31st-2016/

However, I'm now continuing my log here:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78 7

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version