1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 25 of 29
25 October 2013 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Spoken Czech is much less redundant than written Czech,
in diglossic languages, the Higher variant tends to be more redundant,
while the Lower variant tends to be more simplified

compare: Swiss German (L) vs High German (H), spoken Czech (L), written Czech (H), spoken Finnish (L), written Finnish (H), spoken Arabic (L), modern standard Arabic (H), colloquial Tamil (L), formal Tamil (H)...

Edited by Medulin on 25 October 2013 at 3:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6342 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 26 of 29
25 October 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Interestingly, it's the other way around with the Chinese languages I know. Spoken Mandarin and Cantonese are more redundant than written Mandarin (written Cantonese tends to be very informal in style, thus closely matching the spoken language), which is still more redundant than Literary Sinitic. I'm guessing it's the same with other Chinese languages.

I'd guess Japanese and Korean, and maybe Vietnamese as well, being heavily influenced by Chinese written culture, have a similar phenomenon going on?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5526 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 27 of 29
25 October 2013 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

Which features do you base this statement on? And which expressions of redundancy?

Papashaw
Australia
Joined 3863 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 28 of 29
26 October 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
I remember a funny claim from the old antimoon forum that English was so simple that native speakers are spoiled
and could not learn other languages as easily. I saw another guy say the same thing in a youtube comment.

English could do with a replacement for grammatical gender, perhaps a classifier system akin to Chinese?
Something that should evolve to create poetic association with inanimate nouns. Modal particles are not developed
as in German or Dutch, and discourse markers for peppering words are seen as bad English, perhaps that should
be allowed to be instead of frowned on.

Truth is I want English to grow some more complexities just so those native highly-inflected
language speakers, even the ones on this forum, would just shut up on how poor and easy they think it is.

English has a lot that can evolve but is not yet come. I even looked over an analysis of English by a Czech
grammarian and saw just how much detail was available for use. Syntax would be a great starting point for
evolution of new grammatical rules that express.

Even German, which is more synthetic than English, looks to me to have more usage of different word orders for
emphasis and purpose by regular speakers. It even seems to have specific grammar words for more kinds of
things. They have more words for "why", still retain the equivalent of whence and whither, have modal particles
(despite being more synthetic), and SOV and V2. The usage of prepositions is nearly equal, too. English needs to be
evolved.

Edited by Papashaw on 26 October 2013 at 3:28pm

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4428 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 29 of 29
26 October 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Medulin wrote:

Which features do you base this statement on? And which expressions of redundancy?

Common Czech is characterized by quite regular differences from the standard morphology and phonology. These variations are more or less common to all Common Czech dialects:

é usually replaced by ý/í: malý město (small town), plamínek (little flame), lítat (to fly);
    ý (sometimes also í) replaced by ej: malej dům (small house), mlejn (mill), plejtvat (to waste), bejt (to be) – as a consequence of the loss of the difference in the pronunciation of y/ý and i/í in the 15th century;
    unified plural endings of adjectives: malý lidi (small people), malý ženy (small women), malý města (small towns) – stand.: malí lidé, malé ženy, malá města;
    unified instrumental ending -ma in plural: s těma dobrejma lidma, ženama, chlapama, městama (with the good people, women, guys, towns) – stand.: s těmi dobrými lidmi, ženami, chlapy, městy (in essence, this form resembles the form of the dual, which was once a productive form, but now is almost extinct, except a few examples; in Common Czech it can often be used indiscriminately, i.e. it can substitute a regular plural form, not just as it was once used);
    prothetic v- added to most words beginning o-: votevřít vokno (to open the window) – stand.: otevřít okno; but ovoce not *vovoce (fruit)
    omitting of the syllabic -l in the masculine ending of past tense verbs: řek (he said), moh (he could), pích (he pricked) – stand.: řekl, mohl, píchl.

/Wiki/

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version