Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
74 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 9 10 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 74
29 October 2013 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I think that all beginner materials start with basic greetings and introductions before teaching football and umbrella. I shouldn't have to explain why. Certain key building blocks or connected speech are thus introduced. And of course football and umbrella can be introduced anytime.

Tarvos wrote:
Which is why beginner materials suck. There is nothing more annoying than someone pretending he knows the words I need to learn.

I'm with Tarvos on this one. Why should I learn to greet people many months before I meet any native speakers? If I buy a trip to some place where they speak on of my weak languages I can spend a day on learning the greetings, some 'connectors' which can keep a conversation running and the names of some basic food items, and then I'm ready to go.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 50 of 74
29 October 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Which is why beginner materials suck. There is nothing more annoying than someone
pretending he knows the words I need to learn.

Beginner material needs to give me lots of texts, lots of audio, maybe bilingual texts,
NO ROMANIZATION SCHEMES (learn to read the bloody alphabet if you're doing
Russian, Korean, Hebrew, Arabic), except for Chinese where pinyin is necessary. For
Japanese I would learn the kana but I am not sure about kanji. I don't need an order, I
need the texts to be... interesting.

If someone made 200 lessons in a textbook that consider only humorous anecdotes I would
use it as a textbook.

I think most course designers know a thing or two about what words a beginner should learn. This is not rocket
science.

Why do most learning materials start with greetings and salutations? The logic of course is that this is one of the
first things that learners will encounter. A method will have section on the human body, food, clothing,
transportation, going to school, etc. Is this surprising? Isn't this whatt some people want? The only alternative
that I've heard so far is to teach football and umbrella in the beginning.

Now the implementation can be faulty. With today's technologies things can be done very differently. That's
another question.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 51 of 74
29 October 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I think that all beginner materials start with basic greetings and
introductions before teaching football and umbrella. I shouldn't have to explain why. Certain key building blocks
or connected speech are thus introduced. And of course football and umbrella can be introduced
anytime.

Tarvos wrote:
Which is why beginner materials suck. There is nothing more annoying than someone pretending
he knows the words I need to learn.

I'm with Tarvos on this one. Why should I learn to greet people many months before I meet any native speakers?
If I buy a trip to some place where they speak on of my weak languages I can spend a day on learning the
greetings, some 'connectors' which can keep a conversation running and the names of some basic food items,
and then I'm ready to go.

I don't disagree totally but remember that textbooks are designed for classroom use and things like greetings
and salutations are usually taught first because they will be used by the teacher and heard quite soon.

But the real solution is to have a totally modular method where you can choose and pick what you need and not
have to go in any particular order.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 52 of 74
29 October 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Most course designers clearly don't know jack shit about it because they're not selling
me what I want.

A course designer designing a classroom course is one thing. But I'm using self-study
materials and I want something way more personalized and suitable to my needs. Yeah it
is useful to know "my arm hurts" but I generally use this twice a year when I bump my
arm or head into someone or if I have to go to the doctor.

What course designers have is marketing data that is generalised across a lot of
people. So you're talking about words that are generally likely to come up a lot, but
will not necessarily come up in each individual case at all. The most important word I
have to know is "scientist" or "science communication" because it's my job! I far too
often have to replace it by "engineer" (which is correct in truth but doesn't give you
the whole picture). I am much more likely to use this word than "my arm hurts".

Besides that I don't care about reading those actual texts. Like I said, a good course
programme is something that can keep a reader motivated and enticed - generic tripe
designed to hold my hand because I am assumed to be a fool is not a part of that.

I do not want my hand to be held.

Like I said - I want lots of audio, lotes of transcription into TL and NL (but no
transliteration) and interesting texts that become longer and more complex the further
you in - i.e. Assimil. The only criticism I have of Assimil is that they need to make
their grammar overviews more thorough and not so disjointed across their textbooks (and
simply state them more up front) and also that they need to check how much of their
texts are actually funny (the Breton ones were terribly unfunny for example. The
Romanian, Hebrew and Russian dialogues are hilarious without fail.)

Edited by tarvos on 29 October 2013 at 10:07am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 53 of 74
29 October 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
Since some people have trouble getting over their arrogance, let me rephrase it: Of
course the phrasal verbs are extremely common in most types of native material. Yet,
there are many things where the phrasal verbs are less common or even actively avoided.
In general, the phrasal verb is more colloquial while the "normal" verb is more
educated. People need to learn both as the time goes, sure.

But speaking of the need and easiness to learn them right away, that is just misguided.
Just as explaining the obvious. quote:"For example learn to at least recognize that
in English verbs may be made up of one, two or three words." Most people with
intelligence higher than that of a cabbage don't need to learn that. They need the
details and those can wait a few months.

Noone asks for an entire course on the phrasal verbs, sallard, you just may be
interested to learn that generalizations like "students quickly learn" are totally
wrong. Especially when it comes to things like the phrasal verbs. Yes, minority of
students learns quite fast the basic set of most common phrasal verbs. But vast
majority needs time to learn them especially when more and more are added to the pile.
And division of the idioms from the phrasal verbs is no panacea. Both are intermedite
students' nighmares, just differently named.

Again, what is "simple". I could continue for a few more pragraphs but it wouldn't be a
good use of my time. Anyone with the experience knows that even the simplest and most
logical phrasal verbs are simple until the moment you put them to the mix of all the
mess students at that point of their studies need to face.

Just one real life example: I knew a girl who went to the UK as an au-pair. She learnt
to use the five or six basic verbs perfectly. In combinations, with prepositions, in
phrasal verbs and in idioms. The result was her host family totally disappointed as her
English was deteriorating noticeably with every month.

So, of course you can speak a language with just a few words. But if you keep to it for
too long, you will only look like a worthless idiot noone wants to speak with. The
quality of your speech is closely tied to how you are perceived as potential source of
ineresting or fun conversation.

I always wondered why all the course designers start with greeting and describing your
family tree. Even the basic phrases like introducing yourself sometimes include grammar
that can be postponed. And the vocabulary usually included in first chapters often
tends to be the most useless of the whole course. I totally agree with Tarvos. If the
average audience is on authors' mind, than why are the first five or so lessons usually
filled with useless crap? Or do you think lists of family members or all the
nationalities are necessary for survival? I totally agree with Tarvos that marketing is
much more important to the designers than the results or inner logic of the course.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4409 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 54 of 74
29 October 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
I guess if you start a course with all the conjugations of the verb "to be" along with an introduction to the gender of nouns, it wouldn't appeal to casual learners. Courses are commercial products designed to tempt as many buyers as possible (hence the often ludicrous claims on the cover).

Edited by beano on 29 October 2013 at 1:39pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 55 of 74
29 October 2013 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
But that would be a boring course. You just need interesting material, and it's better to
have Assimil which introduces these elements step by step in a good sound order, but
doesn't do them thematically like TY or Colloquial, but integrates them into hilarious
stories, newspaper articles and other things you would actually want to read as a
student.

My only criticism is that the grammar appendices are lacking and need to be substantially
enlarged in order to give a comprehensive overview, so that if you're looking for a
table, it's actually there. I don't mind having these compiled in an appendix at the back
as long as the rest is a set of x amount of genuine texts with audio and a bilingual
translation.

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4031 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 56 of 74
29 October 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
So what if the course is boring? From where are you expecting to tske your enjoyment?
from a textbook you're meant to spend minimal time on or in interacting with people,
reading literature and so on?

It really doesn't matter. Personally I find crap like TYS and Assimil very boring due to
the amount of time each are meant to take, very inefficient ways of learning. I'd rather
get to native materials as quickly as possible.

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version